Home » Redskins History » Stadiums » Griffith Stadium
 Griffith Stadium1891-1965  
Opened
1891
First Senators game
April 22, 1903
Rebuilt
July 24, 1911
First night game
May 28, 1941
Last game
September 21, 1961
Demolished
January 26, 1965
Capacity
32,000 (1921); 27,550 (1961)
Architect
Osborn Engineering (1911)
Griffith Stadium
Griffith Stadium stood in Washington, D.C. from 1911 to 1965, at the corner of Georgia Avenue and W Street, NW. An earlier wooden baseball park was built in 1891 on the site, and was called National Park, as it was a Baseball Park and the team in D.C. was known by the nickname "The Nationals". This park was destroyed by a fire in the grandstand (along the third-base line) in March 1911. It was replaced by a steel and concrete structure built by Osborn Engineering and opened in July of the same year. The grass field stadium was renamed Griffith Stadium for the owner of the Washington Senators, Clark Griffith in 1920. Griffith Stadium closed September 21, 1961 and was demolished on January 26, 1965.
  Notable Stadium Occupants   Did You Know?

Washington Senators

The Stadium was home to the American League Senators from 1911 to 1960, Newspaper articles for decades used the names "Senators" and "Nationals" interchangeably until Griffith officially change the name to Senators in 1957. Three years later they moved to Minneapolis and became the Twins.

When the original Washington Senators moved to Minnesota in 1960, Major League Baseball awarded a team to Washington giving it the same name as the team that left the year before.
Washington Redskins The Washington Redskins played at Griffith stadium from the time they transferred from Boston in 1937 through the 1960 season. During their stay the Redskins won Eastern Division Championships in 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943 and 1945, and won the NFL Championship in 1937 and 1942.
Homestead Grays Griffith Stadium served as a part-time home for the Negro League team called the Homestead Grays during the 1930s and 40s.The Grays played their home games at Pittsburgh's Forbes Field, during this same period the club adopted the Washington, D.C. area as its "home away from home" and scheduled many of its "home" games at the Stadium
Howard University Hospital In the fall of 1961, the Redskins and Senators moved to the newly built D.C. Stadium (which was re-named R.F.K. Stadium in 1968). Griffith Stadium was demolished in 1965 and Howard University Hospital now stands on the site.
» The smallest capacity park in the majors (32,000), it's distant fences also made it one of the toughest for home run hitters. It measured 402 feet down the left field line and 421 to center, and the 328 feet to right field was guarded against homers by a 30-foot wall. Only Mickey Mantle hit one clear out of the park over the faraway left-center bleachers.
» Only Griffith Stadium, then later RFK Stadium, lured presidents of the United States to the opening game to throw out the opening pitch. From President Taft in 1911 to President Nixon in 1971, they came to Griffith Stadium and to RFK Stadium - a distinction no other park could claim.
» In the Redskins' inaugural game, they beat the New York Giants 13-3 under a dim lighting system that had been used for college football
» During their stay at Griffith, the Redskins won NFL Championships in 1937 and 1942, as well as Eastern Division Titles in 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943 and 1945
» The most one-sided game in NFL history was played at Griffith; a 73-0 loss to the Bears during the 1940 Title game

Washington Redskins Hats in our Fan Shop
  Redskins History » Stadiums » Griffith Stadium