1st Period Overview:
– The Caps strike first just 37 seconds in with Mike Knuble knocking in a rebound from a John Carlson shot in past Jhonas Enroth, who is in goal for Ryan Miller tonight.
– Alexander Semin sends a Nicklas Backstrom rebound in to put the Caps up 2-0 just 4:41 into the game.
– Sabres get on the board 6:30 into the game with a goal from Thomas Vanek. It’s his 200th career goal.
– The Buffalo fans come out of nowhere and take over Verizon Center for a brief period after the Sabres goal. It’s almost as if Philly was in town.
– The Sabres tie it up with 10:32 left in the period with a Drew Stafford goal.
– The Sabres fans are making their presence felt. “Let’s go Buffalo” could be heard trickling loudly from the upper deck throughout the arena.
– After very uptempo and upbeat period, I’ve learned two things: a 2-0 after 5 minutes is never safe…. and there are more Sabres fans in the Verizon Center than I thought actually existed in Buffalo.
Faceoffs Won: BUF – 13 WAS – 8
Hits: BUF – 10 WAS – 9
Shots on Goal: BUF – 11 WAS – 14
Goals: BUF – 2 WAS – 2
2nd Period Overview:
– This has not been the eventful first five minutes of offense everyone was hoping for after the show put on in the first period but good goaltending is fun to watch, nonetheless.
– Michael Neuvirth, since his shaky first period outing, has gotten his act back together and played a solid 2nd period so far.
– The Caps announced this game as the 100th consecutive sellout.
– Brooks Laich had a great chance at a shot towards the net but decided to pass it, leading to an interception.
– Buffalo defenseman Mike Weber roughs up Marco Sturm in front of the Sabres’ net, looking to instigate a scuffle but to no avail.
Faceoffs Won: BUF – 11 WAS – 11
Hits: BUF – 10 WAS – 8
Shots on Goal: BUF – 11 WAS – 11
Goals: BUF – 0 WAS – 0
3rd Period Overview:
– The Caps are coming out of the gate on fire, harassing Enroth every chance they get.
– John Carlson and Steve Montador get themselves into a nice scuffle, thus raising the energy level that wasn’t there in the second period.
– Alex Ovechkin is sent to the penalty box with 12:01 in the game due to too many men on the ice. It’s the first penalty of the game.
– Sabres get the lead with a goal by Paul Gaustad, who simply maneuvered his way around Neuvirth. 3-2 Sabres.
– The Caps get their first power play of the night with a highsticking penalty to Brad Boyes, who took out Marcus Johansson with a hit to the face with 7:07 left in the period.
– Knuble responds with his second goal of the night with 5:42 remaining, knotting the game at 3 during the power play.
– The Sabres take the lead with 3:21 remaining after the puck slips through Neuvirth’s pads as Carlson skates into him. That’s a tough goal for a goalie to take. Stafford is credited with the goal. 4-3 Buffalo.
– Jason Arnott ties the game at 4 with less than a minute remaining.
Hits: BUF – 9 WAS – 9
Shots on Goal: BUF – 13 WAS – 9
Goals: BUF – 2 WAS – 2
– Ovechkin scores the game winner in OT with the puck bouncing of an opponents stick.
More By Jake Russell
- Redskins Free Agency Tracker 2014 – Day 1 - March 11th, 2014
- Redskins Preparing for Free Agency - March 10th, 2014
- Redskins Hire Jay Gruden as Head Coach - January 9th, 2014
- Redskins Continue to Expand Coaching Search - January 4th, 2014
- Redskins Set Sights on Bevell, McDermott - January 1st, 2014
Tags: Alex Ovechkin, Brad Boyes, Buffalo Sabres, Drew Stafford, Jason Arnott, Jhonas Enroth, Marco Sturm, Marcus Johansson, Michael Neuvirth, Paul Gaustad, Ryan Miller, Steve Montador, Thomas Vanek, Washington Capitals