The Capitals are coming off two exciting 4-3 wins against the Phoenix Coyotes and Winnipeg Jets and are hoping to head to Buffalo this weekend with a 9-1-1 home record. They close out their three-game homestand today against the New York Rangers today at 4 p.m.
The Caps lost their last three regular season contests against New York and were outscored 15-1 in those games. However, the Caps handled the Rangers in the opening round of the playoffs, eliminating them in five games.
The Rangers come into Verizon Center as one of the hottest teams in the league riding a seven-game winning streak before dropping the last two by a total of six goals to one.
The Rangers boast the league’s third best goals against average while the Caps are third in the league in goals scored. It will be very interesting to see how the Capitals offense matches up against the Rangers defense.
1st Period Overview:
– Even if it was only for a short shift, Alexander Semin was skating like a man possessed just after the opening faceoff.
– Sean Avery gets the emphatic boos from the Verizon Center crowd with each touch of the puck.
– Caps defenders were struggling against the Rangers. Almost let one in there.
– Caps think they get a goal there but Henrik Lundqvist keeps it in front of the net. Good goaltending there.
– Michael Sauer heads to the box for high-sticking. Caps on the power play. (5:10)
– Rangers are passing very well in the Caps zone but haven’t been able to get one through yet.
– Alex Semin heads to the penalty box for hooking
– Brian Boyle not far behind. Heads to the penalty box as well.
– Joel Ward takes a real shot off the leg. His stay on the ice was brief. Quickly went to the bench.
– Roman Hamrlik to the penalty box for holding.
– Alex Ovechkin sent to the penalty box for roughing. Clobbered a Ranger into his own net.
– Scoreless after one period. Caps and Rangers both with 8 shots apiece.
Faceoffs Won: NYR – 11 WAS – 10
Hits: NYR – 11 WAS – 14
Shots on Goal: NYR – 8 WAS – 8
Goals: NYR – 0 WAS – 0
2nd Period Overview:
– Marian Gaborik puts the #Rangers on top 1-0 3:37 into the 2nd period.
– Dmitry Orlov delivers a nice hit on Ryan Callahan. Good to see from the youngster.
– Cody Eakin gets 2 minutes for holding. (6:43)
– Rangers up 2-0 with the Artem Anisimov goal.
– Crews still working on the cracked glass here at Verizon Center. Look to be almost done.
– Rangers up 3-0 with the Ruslan Fedotenko goal.
– Caps respond. Troy Brouwer gets his 6th goal of the year. Assists go to John Carlson and Nicklas Backstrom. Score now 3-1.
– Sauer makes another trip to the penalty box for holding. Caps on the power play.
– John Carlson with the slapper from the middle. Caps down 3-2 right now.
– Orlov credited with his second career assist/point in the NHL.
– The “Luuuuunnndqvist” chants are raining down here at Verizon Center.
– Brian Boyle puts the Rangers up 4-2.
– Caps have to be able to respond to tough, scrappy teams like the #Rangers. Finesse won’t work against a group like this.
Faceoffs Won: NYR – 14 WAS – 14
Hits: NYR – 10 WAS – 18
Shots on Goal: NYR – 15 WAS – 9
Goals: NYR – 4 WAS – 2
3rd Period Overview:
– Rangers now up 5-2 with that Brad Richards goal. (4:15)
– Michal Neuvirth with the sprawling save.
– Alex Ovechkin gets his first goal of the year at Verizon Center 5:57 into the 3rd period.
– Rangers now up 6-3 with Fedotenko’s second goal on the day.
– Mike Knuble gets two minutes for holding at the 12:36 mark.
Faceoffs Won: NYR – 12 WAS – 4
Hits: NYR – 7 WAS – 8
Shots on Goal: NYR – 10 WAS – 4
Goals: NYR – 2 WAS – 1
Tags: Alex Ovechkin, Brad Richards, Brian Boyle, Buffalo Sabres, Cody Eakin, Dmitry Orlov, Henrik Lundqvist, Joel Ward, Marian Gaborik, Michael Sauer, Phoenix Coyotes, Roman Hamrlik, Ruslan Fedotenko, Ryan Callahan, Sean Avery, Troy Brouwer, Winnipeg Jets