Tim Hightower tweeted late Sunday night that he had re-signed with the Redskins. Well actually, he tweeted this:
I'm baaaaaaaack pic.twitter.com/9qG4TDTB
— Tim Hightower (@Tim_Hightower) May 14, 2012
The Redskins picked up Hightower last season in a trade with the Arizona Cardinals that saw a sixth-round pick and defensive end Vonnie Holliday, go the other way.
Hightower won the job as Washington’s starting running back to start the 2011 season and was off to a good start, before tearing his ACL in the fifth game. He had rushed for 88 yards on 17 carries in just over a half in that game against the Panthers, and really seemed to be finding his groove. He finished with 84 carries, 321 yards, and one touchdown (receiving) in his limited acion.
The fourth year veteran visited with the Patriots earlier this offseason, but New England signed Joseph Addai late last week, perhaps opening the door for Hightower to return. He is reportedly ahead of schedule with his rehabilitation following surgery.
The 26-year old maintained throughout the offseason that he would like to return to D.C.
The addition of both his blocking skills and his leadership to the Redskins backfield, make this a great re-sign as long as the knee isn’t a problem. It makes the backfield deeper, and makes the running game considerably more dynamic.
Welcome back Tim.
More By Mark Solway
- 5 Best Super Bowl Bets Ever Made - February 2nd, 2017
- Redskins Beat Eagles And Keep Playoff Hopes Alive - December 16th, 2016
- Cardinals Put Cog in Redskins Playoff Hopes - December 9th, 2016
- Redskins Cowboys Thanksgiving Special Graphic - November 24th, 2016
- Washington vs. Green Bay: Packers Suffer Fourth Straight Loss - November 23rd, 2016
Tags: Tim Hightower