Redskins (5-7) vs. Buccaneers (7-5) Preview
By: Bernie Marshall
Category: Washington Redskins News
The Week in Review:
- On Tuesday the Redskins suspended defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth without pay for the final four games of the season, citing conduct detrimental to the team, Haynesworth was notified of the decision Tuesday morning at Redskins Park by General Manager Bruce Allen because Haynesworth refuses to speak with Coach Mike Shanahan. "Despite the club's numerous attempts to persuade Albert Haynesworth to abide by the terms of his contract, he has repeatedly refused to cooperate with our coaching staff in a variety of ways over an extended period of time," Shanahan said in a written statement.
- Timmy Brown, Jason Mitchell, Eric Rivera and Charles Wardlow trial was postponed again on Tuesday, this time until March 14. the four face first-degree murder and armed burglary charges in the fatal shooting of former Redskins safety Sean Taylor back in November 2007. The fifth member of the group, Venjah Hunte has pleaded guilty and is expected to testify against the others
- The Redskins placed Albert Haynesworth on the suspended list on Tuesday, but did not fill the open spot on the 53-man roster. Asked Friday what he intends to do, Shanahan said he'll "probably" add someone before Sunday's game. Shanahan has made several Saturday call-ups this season and likes to wait until the last minute.
- Macho Harris took most of the practice reps at free safety on Wednesday and Thursday but Shanahan said he also expects safety Kareem Moore to be ready Sunday.
Quotes and Notes:
– "Everything else is status quo, We're going to use a number of different combinations on third down. That's really all he played." ---- Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett on playing the final for games without suspended defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth
-- Quarterback Donovan McNabb is on pace for 4,199 passing yards this season, which would be the first 4,000-yard passing season of his career and set a new Redskins’ single-season record, currently at 4,109 passing yards set by Jay Schroeder in 1986. McNabb is sixth in the NFL with 3,149 passing yards with four games to play, he has an NFL-best eight pass completions of 50 yards or longer and the second-highest total in the league for completions of 40 yards or longer with eleven.
-- The Washington Redskins owner said he fully supported Coach Mike Shanahan's decision to suspend the two-time all-pro player for the final four games for conduct detrimental to the club, actually the owner repeatedly said Shanahan "speaks for all of us."
- Wide receiver Santana Moss has a team high 64 receptions this year and 413 career catches with the Redskins, to move past Ricky Sanders for fifth place in franchise history he needs two receptions. Jerry Smith finished his career with 421 receptions and leads Sanders by six catches for fourth place. Moss only needs 26 receiving yards to move past Sanders for fifth place in franchise history. Sanders finished with 5,854 career receiving yards.
– "It's one thing to be ignorant, but to be two-faced, too, that's kind of bad, I don't deserve that. ... I work hard. I do all the things I need to do. You don't stay around this league 15 years and you suck. It's sad that he would target me like that. I never said anything about anybody's play on the field. All I said was, 'Play for your teammates.' "I guess he's trying to get his ratings up. .. I'll meet with him in person. I don't shy away from anybody, and we'll go from there. He knows where I'm at. Let's talk. It's funny how guys get behind microphones and they get real powerful. I respect the guys that paved the way for me, but don't go out there and bash me because I'm trying to help this team be better." ---- Defensive end Phillip Daniels response to former Redskins KR and current radio host Brian Mitchell's comments on 106.7 the fan.
-- "After this week, we won't have to answer questions about Albert, whether he's here or whether he's not, You get tired of answering questions about it. I've been talking about it since March and now it's Week 14 and we're still talking about it. Having to answer questions about it that takes away from preparation." ---- Outside linebacker Lorenzo Alexander discussing the Albert Haynesworth suspension
Comparing Team Leaders:
The Buccaneers are lead by QB Josh Freeman with 2,442 passing yards and a QB rating of 86.4, he has 16 touchdowns and 6 interceptions compared to Redskins’ QB Donovan McNabb who has 3,149
yards passing and a QB rating of 75.2, he has 12 touchdowns and 15 interceptions.
The Buccaneers leading rusher is RB LeGarrette Blount averaging 4.5 yards per carry with 599 yards on 134 carries and 5 touchdown compared to Redskins RB Keiland Williams who is averaging 4.0 yards per carry with 299 yards on 57 carries and 3 touchdowns.
WR Mike Williams is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers top pass catcher averaging 15.2 yards per catch with 50 receptions and 7690yards, he has 7 touchdowns. WR Santana Moss is the leading receiver for the Redskins averaging 12.5 yards per catch with 64 receptions for 802 yards, he has 3 touchdowns.
The Buccaneers defensive leader in tackles is Barrett Ruud with 87 combined tackles. Stylez White is the team leader in sacks with 4.5 and Aqib Talib has a team high 6 interceptions.
The Redskins defensive leaders are London Fletcher with 102 combined tackles. Brian Orakpo
is the team leader in sacks with 8.5 and Deangelo Hall has 6 interceptions to lead the Redskins.
Complete Tale of the Tapes:
Total Offense: Washington is ranked 20th with 333.2 yards per game and Tampa Bay ranks 23rd with 319.8 ypg.
Rushing Offense: Washington is ranked 28th with 89.3 yards per game and Tampa Bay ranks 11th with 119.2 ypg.
Passing Offense: Washington is ranked 9th with 243.8 yards per game and Tampa Bay ranks 24th with 200.7 ypg.
Total Defense: Washington is ranked 31st giving up 397.3 yards per game and Tampa Bay ranks 15th with 334.3 ypg.
Rushing Defense: Washington is ranked 28th giving up 137.0 yards per game and Tampa Bay ranks 26th with 128.5 ypg.
Passing Defense: Washington is ranked 29th giving up 260.3 yards per game and Tampa Bay ranks 7th with 205.8 ypg.
DL Kedric Golston (Elbow/Groin) is Questionable
Golston had limited participation in practice this week, although he participated fully on Friday he is still listed as questionable.
C Casey Rabach (Knee) is Questionable
Rabach had limited participation in practice this week, although he participated fully on Friday he is still listed as questionable.
S LaRon Landry (Achilles) is Questionable
Landry has missed the past three weeks and has had limited participation in practice this week, and is listed as questionable for Sunday's game.
T Trent Williams (Shoulder) is Questionable
Williams had limited participation in practice this week, although he participated fully on Friday he is still listed as questionable.
CB Carlos Rogers (Hamstrings) is Questionable
Rogers has missed the past two weeks with hamstring injuries and has had limited participation in practice this week, he is listed as questionable for Sunday's game.
LB Lorenzo Alexander (Hamstring) is Questionable
Alexander had limited participation in practice this week, although he participated fully on Friday he is still listed as questionable.
WR Brandon Banks (Knee) is Questionable
Banks had limited participation in practice this week, and is listed as questionable for Sunday's game.
OL Derrick Dockery (Knee) is Questionable
Dockery is dealing with a knee injury that has sidelined him for the last two weeks. He fully participated in practice this week but is listed as questionable
QB Donovan McNabb (Hamstring) is Probable
McNabb had limited participation in practice on Wednesday but fully participated in practice on Thursday and Friday he is listed as probable for Sunday's game. McNabb has appeared on the injury report with since October, but has played in every game
LB Brian Orakpo (Ankle) is Probable
Orakpo had limited participation in practice on Wednesday and Thursday but fully participated in practice on Friday
RB Ryan Torain (Hamstring) is Probable
Torain has missed the past two weeks with a hamstring injury but is expected to play in Sunday's game against the Buccaneers, after returning to practice this week
The following players are out for the remainder of the 2010 season:
WR Malcolm Kelly (Hamstring)
Kelly was placed on the injured reserve list on August 31st after pulling his left hamstring. He did not take part in the 2010 preseason activities.
WR Mike Furrey (Concussion)
Furrey was placed on the injured reserve list August 21st because of a concussion. Furrey has a history of concussion problems and that could force the veteran to consider retirement.
OL Mike Williams (Non-Football Injury)
Williams was placed on the reserve/non-football injury list August 10th after doctors found blood clots near his heart.
LB Robert Henson (Knee)
Henson was placed on the injured reserve list September 8th after he was released and the went unclaimed off waivers.
OL Clint Oldenburg (Ankle)
Oldenburg was placed on the injured reserve list September 8th after he was released and the went unclaimed off waivers.
P Josh Bidwell (Hip)
Bidwell was placed on the injured reserve list October 7th after he re-injured the same hip that kept him out of the NFL in 2009
S Chris Horton (Ankle)
Horton was placed on the injured reserve list for the second year in a row on November 8th after re-injuring his ankle
S Anderson Russell (Knee)
Russell will miss the remainder of the season after being placed on the injured reserve November 23rd because of a knee injury suffered in his first game as a member of the Washington Redskins.
RB Chad Simpson (Foot)
Simpson will miss the remainder of the season after being placed on injured reserve on November 23rd with a broken metacarpal in his foot suffered during pre-game warmups in week 11.
RB Clinton Portis (Abdominal)
Portis tore an abdominal muscle against Tennessee in his first game back after missing five with a torn groin, and he'll be placed on injured reserve for the second time in as many seasons.
Enjoy? Click Like, and/or help us share it!
Help us out. We spend a lot of time trying to bring Redskin fans fresh Redskins content, please share our content with any of the social networking platforms that you belong to - there are over 300 links when you click the '+' button - at the very least, click the Like button!