1. Go Clock! The new mantra for Redskin Fans is: Go Clock! Midway through the 3rd Quarter, the Redskins lead the Giants 17-7. It started as a whisper, but by the middle of the 4 Quarter, I was shouting at the refs - "Wind the Clock! Go Clock! Go Clock! A late field goal and a Champ Bailey INT sealed the victory. My neighbors think I have a "real problem" with daylight savings time... but I'll take it!
2. Names and No Names Most fans know the names Bruce Smith and LaVar Arrington - and they did play well against the G-men. But names that some won't be familiar with played very well too. Bernard Holsey and Rashad Bauman played extremely well. Holsey drew the praise of Coach Spurrier for his hustle and spirited play. Bauman stepped in as the nickel-back and defended against the pass AND knocked snot bubbles out of two Giants. When your stars play well, and your other players play like stars... it's a good sign of things to come.
3. Brian Baldinger? I guess anyone can get a job in the booth as the "color guy" for FOX. Brian Baldinger has provided his phyco-dramatic, schizophrenic color analysis for the past two Redskins broadcasts. In case you didn't hear it the first 800 times, Baldinger isn't a fan of Defensive Coordinator George Edwards. Baldinger is an ex-Cowboy and ex-Eagle offensive lineman. He majored in Dufassology at Dip Stick University with a minor in Salty Foods. Even while the Redskins were shutting down the Giants, Baldinger whined about the defensive scheme. It is our punishment to endure this idiot until the Redskins play better football - I hope that day comes very soon...don't you?
4. The Bruce I'm happy for Bruce Smith. I'm happy he's surpassed Reggie White and that he got his sack against the Michael Strahan-fake sack-Giants. All in all, Smith was dragged into the endzone by Tiki Barber, jumped offsides, whiffed on tackles and pouted about not getting his sack when Collins was being swarmed by the Skins defense. He's already announced he'll retire at the end of the season - and that's better news than the sack record ... just my take. Note to Bruce: Shut up, play ball and try to help the team win. Oh yeah, and Congrats!
5. We Want Dallas! The Redskins played one of their worst games of the season against Dallas earlier this year. Dallas has gone on to be the lead pretender in the playoff race. The Redskins have one playoff game this year - this Sunday against the Cowboys. What better gift could the Skins give us than a stomping of the Boys before Christmas? Dallas isn't as good as their record indicates and the Redskins have nothing to lose - WE WANT DALLAS!
6. Looking Forward- Optimists Only Steve Spurrier will be back next season, according to Daniel Snyder. And the Redskins have begun negotiations with LaVar Arrington and Champ Bailey to extend their contracts. The team is already looking forward to next season, with optimism. If the team rallies around Spurrier, they could be one of the hottest teams in 2004. A few pick ups, a few signings of our own veterans, some good draft picks... anything could happen next year. Yeah, that's what we said last year, but this year it feels a lot better!