Up next in the team needs features for the draft section are the Indianapolis Colts. THN will be filling in all of the needs’ pages throughout April, so keep checking back for your favorite (or least-favorite) team.
2005 Results: 14-2 (1st in AFC South)
2006 Projected Cap Status: $8.9 million under (as of 04/04/06)
2005 Season Recap:
The Colts made the ‘perfect season’ look easier each week until week 15, losing to the Charger in Indianapolis. Prior to that game the team went from the envious position of earning home field advantage throughout the playoffs and contemplating resting its starters to the not-so-envious position of dealing with the somber news and after events of the unexpected death of coach Dungy’s oldest son.
1) RB – The loss of Edgerrin James could be a bigger blow to this offense than many believe. Expect the Colts to take a RB with their first rounder. Dominic Rhodes and James Mungro will return and get plenty of carries.
2) LB – The Colts lost another quality starter to free-agency in OLB, David Thornton (Titans). No experience returning on their roster mandates that this area is addressed.
3) OL – The lack of depth at guard and center could prompt a high choice being spent to address this need.
4) DL – The DL isn’t much better when it comes to depth. The Colts need backup support at both DT and DE.
5) Secondary – Nick Harper is a no show at off-season workouts and is in the ‘pay me or release me’ frame of mind. He could be released. The team is also exploring the possibility of moving last year’s first round pick S Marlin Jackson to CB should Harper not return – so the need for depth at safety could also arise.
UFA – CB Rocky Calmus; S Joseph Jefferson; OT Kurt Vollers; WR Troy Walters
RFA – LB Cato June; WR Aaron Moorehead; S Gerome Sapp
ERFA – LB Keith O’Neil; LB Keyon Whiteside
Re-signed – LB Gary Brackett; DE Raheem Brock; OL Ryan Lilja; LB Rob Morris; DE Robert Mathis; TE Ben Utecht; WR Reggie Wayne; OT Makoa Freitas; RB James Mungro
Acquired –PK Adam Vinatieri; OL Bo Lacy; DL Gabe Nyenhuis
Lost – QB Josh Brown; OT Joaquin Gonzalez; PK Jose Cortez; WR Brad Pyatt; RB Edgerrin James; LB David Thornton; DT Larry Tripplett; DT Josh Williams; PK Mike Vanderjagt