Six Pack: Bears
What follows is an answer to the chorus of complaints from the legions of fans tired of being distracted by "sensible" analysis, backed by "facts" and "knowledge." If you seek shelter from the twin storms that are "reality" and "logic," then this is your port of call.
1) We had previously asked the football gods to spare the team from further injury; however, as we are often sarcastic, perhaps that was misinterpreted. We would genuinely, honestly and sincerely appreciate no further injuries for the remainder of the season. And, to be frank, we've probably earned a free pass for next season too. Certainly if any franchise should have some good karma coming its way, it is the Washington Redskins.
2) It's time to give a tip of the cap to the Redskins' defense. That unit suffered some justifiable criticism for its performances on third down earlier this season. Well, for (at least) a three-game stretch, they solved that problem. The Bucs, Bills and Bears went a combined 11-for-41 on third down; that is a very impressive stretch.
3) To continue that theme, only five teams have allowed fewer rushing yards than the Redskins this season. Seven of the Redskins' games have come against teams in the top half of the league in rushing, including five games against opponents in the top 10. The defense has flaws, having battled injuries and a tragic setback. Greg Williams, his staff and his players should be applauded for their efforts.
4) Mas noticias bueno (or buenos? We'll never know): The Redskins are fifth in the NFL in average kickoff return yardage. Only one player in the NFL, the Browns' Josh Cribbs, has more kickoff returns of over 20 yards than Rock Cartwright. The team is third in the NFL in kick return coverage, allowing only 19.1 yards per return. The special teams unit is also distinguished in punt coverage, yielding a measly 6 yards per return, good for fourth in the NFL and second in the NFC. A tenth of a yard separates them from second place, and a half of a yard is the gap from fourth to first. Danny Smith's unit has been consistently outstanding in coverage since his arrival, and this year is no different. So another round of applause for that truly special unit.
5) "Todd Collins is the NFC Offensive Player of the Week" is your winner for the "No, seriously" award of the season. For a guy who averaged about three pass attempts a season for the PAST DECADE (that isn't hyperbole), it's been one heckuva week. Unfortunate circumstances, to be certain. Speaking of which, Jason, we love watching you play, we think you are going to blossom into a spectacular quarterback but, on the play when you went to the sidelines, please, please, please learn to slide there. The season-ending injury was a freak occurrence but the NFL is hyper-protective of your position; all that we ask is that you take full advantage of that.
6) Lastly, we should clarify an earlier statement. When we have said in the past that we would like to see Joe Gibbs step into the GM role, we should have qualified that. We have no faith in Daniel Snyder actually creating a GM position (unless Joe flat out demands it). We think he will attempt to save face by making Gibbs the de facto GM; Snyder has defied the conventional thinking on the position thus far, to appoint a GM would be admitting his critics were right. Further, we do not advocate that move just to remove Joe from the sidelines. His recent track record on player acquisition is remarkably solid and we feel, at this point, that is where he could best serve this franchise. He could be the steadying voice the franchise needs to develop a team that can win consistently a la the Pittsburgh Steelers. It's far from a call to put-him-out-to-pasture; rather it's a plea to put him were we feel he can be most effective.
This article was released on 2007-12-13.
|Copyright © 2013 www.theHogs.net. This site is an independent news, information and entertainment site covering the Washington Redskins and Redskin fans. We are not associated with the Washington Redskins, the National Football League, or any other media site. Click here for more site information.|
|Quick Links | Home | Deluxe Main | Articles | Redskins Team Information | Redskins History | The Hogs | Message Board | Site Map|