ELITE CLASS OF DRAFTEES

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
---------

ELITE CLASS OF DRAFTEES

Postby redskins56 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:37 am

Here is a list of some of the finest young players entering the draft from www.cnnsportsline.com...

QB Ben Roethlisberger, Miami of Ohio. A monster (6-5, 240) with a great arm, surprising mobility and grit. He has room to grow because he hasn't been playing quarterback long and has faced mostly mid-major competition. Still, 1. Chad Pennington and Byron Leftwich came out of the MAC (to say nothing of small-schoolers Daunte Culpepper and Steve McNair), and Roethlisberger has the work ethic to smooth out his rough edges (progressions, reading defenses).
Best/most likely destination: CARDINALS.

QB Eli Manning, Mississippi. Eli's arm strength and accuracy are similar to those of his brother, Peyton, but he is a bit more athletic. His mechanics and football IQ are better than most quarterbacks coming out of college, and they could improve with work and time. He has quick feet, though he isn't really mobile, and he loses accuracy the further downfield he throws. A great immediate fit in Pittsburgh's quick-hitting, receiver-rich passing game.
Best/most likely destination: STEELERS.

RB Kevin Jones, Virginia Tech. Jones, a speedster with game-breaking ability but questionable size (6-0, 211), power and NFL durability, could be the first running back selected. He could get worn down or hurt in a grind-it-out attack, but put him in situations where he can use his speed and pass-catching ability 15-20 times a game, and he could be explosive. Think Onterrio Smith.
Best/most likely destination: REDSKINS AND LIONS.

RB Chris Perry, Michigan. Perry doesn't wow scouts the way other top running backs often do, but complete players with adequate size at the position who excel in college often do well in the pros. He is an Eddie George-type runner in terms of vision, patience and power. Perry might be a tad shiftier, though, like George, he doesn't have that second gear to outrun defenders.
Best/most likely destination: COWBOYS AND BEARS.

RB Steven Jackson, Oregon
State. For a runner with the size to be a workhorse back (6-3, 227), Jackson can haul. He has a powerful, slashing style, but it is his ability to get to top speed quickly that sets him apart from most at his position. He could produce in just about any offense, but he would be especially effective as a cutback runner in a zone-blocking scheme like Denver's or Kansas City's. Too bad those teams already have studs at Jackson's position.
Best/most likely destination: COWBOYS AND PATRIOTS.

WR Larry Fitzgerald, Pittsburgh. Fitzgerald is only a sophomore, but he appears as ready for the NFL as any receiver coming out of college in recent memory. He has quality size (6-3, 218), and though he doesn't have blinding speed, he is fast enough and rates off the charts almost everywhere else. He is an excellent route runner, gets good separation and has amazing hands on the run or in traffic. He will have huge scoring potential and should be an instant success. You're welcome, Mike Vick.
Best/most likely destination: ATLANTA.

WR Reggie Williams, Washington. Williams, like Fitzgerald, has excellent size and quickness, and more than adequate speed -- which is enhanced by his ability to top out faster than most big receivers. He will beat press coverage and be a matchup nightmare for most cornerbacks because of that size and his agility, but his route-running skills and hands could use work. He could be a nice replacement for Terrell Owens in San Francisco.
Best/most likely destination: 49ERS AND JETS.

WR Roy Williams, Texas. The biggest knock on Williams is his durability, and he was healthy for all of 2003. He is big (6-3, 210), strong and quick, which makes him almost impossible to press at the line. He hasn't clocked well, but he has deceptive speed and often gets over the top of DBs downfield. Like most young receivers, his route running could be better, but Williams will be a solid No. 3 fantasy starter from Day One if he lands in the right spot.
Best/most likely destination: RAIDERS.

TE Kellen Winslow Jr., Miami. Winslow might turn out to be the best player in this year's draft, though he will have to wind up in the right system for that to show right away. He is a more athletic and instinctual pass catcher than most wide receivers in the draft, but he has tight end size (6-5, 230). Combine that with his excellent speed, and you have a bear of a matchup for NFL safeties and linebackers. He could be a top-five fantasy tight end coming out of the gate.
Best/most likely destination: LIONS AND BILLS.

TE Ben Troupe, Florida. Troupe has good size (6-4, 253) and speed for a player with his speed and skill, but he still could be only a part-time player (at least early on) if he is drafted into a system that stresses blocking over receiving ability at his position. That said, his hands, burst off the ball and out of his breaks and ability to get downfield will make him a nice weapon on third downs for any club.
Best/most likely destination: RAMS AND LIONS

piglet

Postby jrforbes » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:27 pm

I still think Patrick Ramsey is the future, but what we need now is to acquire a veteran to get us through for a couple years. Kurt Warner would be a GREAT addition and someone that Patrick can learn from.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:26 am

I still think Patrick Ramsey is the future, but what we need now is to acquire a veteran to get us through for a couple years. Kurt Warner would be a GREAT addition and someone that Patrick can learn from
nah, with the right HC and OC ramsey will make the pro bowl in '04. better schemes will allow him to remain upright more often.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:15 pm

Fassel would definetely be a good influence on PRam.....I just hope SOS didn't scar him for life. A quality experienced backup or camp competitor wouldn't be a bad idea IMHO.
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Hog

Postby redskincity » Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:32 pm

like a bulldog pup thats started to early. :D
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:37 pm

I'm sure Patrick ran around singing, Ding Dong the witch is dead.

Any other coach that comes in will likely recognize that having your quarterback planted half a dozen times a game means something is wrong with what you are trying to do.

Oh sure all Patrick will likely ever say is, 'Coach Spurrier taught me a lot', but we know that it was more about pain-killer prescriptions and concussion syndrome symptoms than playing QB in the NFL.

:lowblow:

But we digress, this thread is about elite draftees.....
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:02 pm

Oh sure all Patrick will likely ever say is, 'Coach Spurrier taught me a lot', but we know that it was more about pain-killer prescriptions and concussion syndrome symptoms than playing QB in the NFL.

ROTFALMAO
THN's resident jerk.

swine

What about BNoble

Postby pgraham » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:02 am

What abut Bradon Noble (I think that the spelling of his last name). How do you see him fitting inot the mix of the D-line?

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:04 am

What abut Bradon Noble (I think that the spelling of his last name). How do you see him fitting inot the mix of the D-line?
i don't. from what i've heard his recovery isn't going all that well........
THN's resident jerk.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:10 am

Noble is a personal fave, the dude was just awesome at camp.

But he blew EVERYTHING in his knee, so who knows how he will recover, if he recovers. There was an article in the Post a while back about how bound and determined he was to make it back for next year.... but it's a looooong road.

Healthy, he's a big body that could really help us stop the run.

Photo hog took a lot of great photos at camp, but this one of Noble and his kid after practice is definitely one of my favorites:

swine

Postby pgraham » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:21 am

Thanks for the update. I read the article you are referring to, but wanted to get an update.

Thanks again.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:32 am

hey, no problem.

That's what we're here for.

I'll be sure to post any updates I come across to the board.

HTTR

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010