Well - we have heard...

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.

Postby toddlerdurden » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:59 am

I was getting hammered for this in another thread, but I want to just say that if we're really unable to trade the #5 for anything desirable that I hope the 'Skins go for Sean Taylor, S, Miami.

He's coming out as a junior and he's probably the most gifted defender on the board so far. There really is no one great RB on the board that reminds me of a Gibbs-back and I don't think there is a Defensive Lineman on the board that deserves to go at #5. So, if we still find ourselves there, I'd take Taylor. He'd be an upgrade over a less talented and mistake-prone Ohalete. He's also so speedy, you can move him into the slots on nickel and dime situations...he just makes things more flexible.

If the secondary is completely solidified, then Gregg Williams can concentrate on blitzing and supporting the D-Line, which will probably be improved, but not altogether ready to go on a Championship-run just yet.

I just think he'd be the most talented defender available and like Coach Gibbs said yesterday, it'll be the defense that leads the 'Skins back to a championship.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:08 pm

Sean Taylor is good, may be that best athlete in the draft?? A lot of people here love him. I don't think they disagree with you judgement on that, just that S it not the most critcal need on this team. Hey if the D-Line is addressed, (before the draft) then Taylor looks like a great pick
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:39 pm

Hey if the D-Line is addressed, (before the draft) then Taylor looks like a great pick
Lot of $$$. if we luck out in free agency, we'd be better off to trade down, and pick up as many quality players that we can. just because a player isn't a first round prospect, dosen't mean they won't be any good, or turn out to be an impact player. the fifth pick is a good spot for a team like NE that is eyeing jones(VT RB) to trade up to. they got the ravens pick and whatever pick they end up with. and if we franchise camp and somehow manage to get a 1st for him, that could be three. :shock: while taylor is a great player, and you'd here no complaint from me if he landed on the roster, i'd personally rather try to trade down.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:56 pm

I had somehow in my busy-ness neglected this thread, so i apologize. Couple of things:

1) I love Sean Taylor and it would be nice if we have shored up the defensive line enough by then to have the courage to take him at #5 because I personally think he's the biggest 'stud' of the draft. Any player that is not a stud is not much of a guarantee.

2) We have to aready have at least one quality DT and DE free agent to even think about doing it.

3) There aren't a lot of FAs that are great, at DE, you have Kearse, Grant Wistrom, Darren Howard, Ogunleye (jake's pick) but kearse will be expensive. At DT you have Sapp, Cornelius Griffin, Gary Walker, maybe Gregg of the Ravens worth grabbing, but after that someone like Russell is gonna be right up there with. One decent fill at DT might be Texan and former Redskin Jerry De Loach who'll be a FA this year but I don't know how bad Houston wants to keep him.

4) The shallow ppol of FA linemen probably means that d-line will still be a priority, and I think if that's the case we have to trade down.

5) But I don't want to trade down, down... I just wanna move a few spots. Someone will be itching at 6,7,8 or 9 and if we can strategically move down even one spot or two spots and get something good extra like a second round pick, that's what I'd love to do. Much lower cap number for 6-10 than 5, and we would presumably end up with something like the 5th and 6th picks of the second round.

6) I can't see Champ not being franchised at this point and if that happens then there's a good chance that he will turn into a first round draft pick. Then we need secondary help and we're back to liking Taylor again because we will have another 1st round pick to play with.

I really did all of this just to show that there are so many things that can go on between now and then that it is almost futile to speculate.

But dang... ain't it fun doing it, and more importantly, ain't it fun, it being fun again???

The draft section is coming soon... that will help you follow along !!!!!!
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:02 pm

welcome Warmother!

HTTR and Saint Gibbs!
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:11 am

Boss - what if NE wins the SB like most are prediciting and they have the 32nd pick and the Ravens first being, what the 15th or so? Wouldn't it be nice to trade down for those two, get another for Champ and turn one or two of those into 4-5 picks for Gibbs to fill more holes with? That or trading down a couple of times to pick up 2-3 more picks?

I think we need studs, but I think we can get enough studs at 15-20 and with the 5th in the 2nd round to start plugging holes on the DL along with the FA moves that the press are already reporting we are getting ready to make. In fact - there have been leaks to the Post stating that the Skins are "gearing up for major FA moves".

Man - this gives me goosebumps.
Rich in Roanoke

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:59 am

Yeah but studs don't come at 20-32.

We can't fill holes with guys not good enough to make the roster.

If we have an extra 1st round pick for Bailey, it won't be extra because we'll be without a cornerback and while there are tons of FA CBs of good quality... there won't be many left come draft day. If we move things really quickly, then we might be able to franchise him, get compensation from somebody, and still sign a DB like Chris McAllister or Bobby Taylor and just have the extra 1st rounder.... but that's a big if.

If you could make ALL of that happen and add Grant Wistrom too (cheaper than Kearse), well you'd be going into the draft needing a DT a S, a RB and a TE.

In a perfect world they also find a way to lower Dillon's cap number and sew his lips shut.

:-)

I think Taylor would look awesome in the B&G and would make up for any drop off in talent between Bailey and whoever takes over.

I think that any later first round pick from the Champ deal would get you a top 3-5 DT to hopefully slot in.

We would still have the #37 pick and there will be lots of good players left including a good TE. Troupe and Winslow may go first round, but TEs tend to fall down the board on draft day.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

piglet

Postby davef » Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 am

Hi all, my first post out here in San Diego!

I think you trade the pick down a few spots and pick up a couple of extra draft choices...we have lost some in trading for some lousy DT's during 2003, correct?

D-Line is their biggest need to me, any names out there?

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:31 pm

welcome davef
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Hog

Postby curveball » Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:26 pm

The 300 lb TE actually is listed at 320, He's from Arkansas and just declared.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:46 pm

The 300 lb TE actually is listed at 320, He's from Arkansas and just declared.
:shock: a sixth o-lineman
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

piggie

Re: Well - we have heard...

Postby TopHawg » Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:38 pm

skinsfaninroanoke wrote:I know KJ from Tech is good, but I don't suspect that Gibbs will want a smaller fast back. I bet he will go for a larger back like a Martin or George who can get 3.5 yards per carry or better like Riggo.

Aws much as i love KJ and would jump for joy if they took him at number five I must say that you are right. I don't think they should take a veteran back especially one with a history of injury problems. In the physical style of O that the skins run I don't think they'd last long. I think Joe oughtta take a long hard look at Greg Jones from Florida St. He's a big bruiser who runs like Riggo and would be perfect in this offense. Most importqantly he will probably still be available in the second round.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:58 pm

I think we trade down inside the top 10, trade a franchised Bailey for a mid round pick, get Jackson from Oregon State with the first, and Randy Starks (DT) with the second, and then Ben Troupe with the 5th pick in the second round.

That guy Starks is a monster - just the man we need in the middle.

I know there are some who say Harris - but he gets swallowed up on run plays according to a lot of draft reports and Wilfolk has major problems with his weight.

Some say get a DE first, but the problem stems from the middle of the line getting manhandled. This kid is strong (boy is he) and fast and many are predicting he will be the #1 DT in the draft.

Also - it seems that the drop off in talent at DE is less from 1 - 10 than the talent from 1-4 in the DT reviews... shallow DT class this year predicates that the Skins either grab one with the #5 or make the move with Bailey to get another first rounder and grab Jones/Jackson (more weight than Jones) with the #5 and someone like Starks with the second first rounder.
Rich in Roanoke

swine

Postby whomp-em » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:30 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Taylor is there at #5 you take him. If we pass on the guy that people keep saying is the "Ray Lewis of the Safety position" because we don't really need a S as much as a RB, TE and DL then we may be forced to hear Sam Bowie/Michael Jordan comparisons forever. If he's not there, trade down. But man, sometimes you have to go with the best guy on the board, regardless of position.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010