What Are Our Player Needs?

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
goskins

What Are Our Player Needs?

Postby GoSkins » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:08 am

With Gibbs as head coach we know he likes the following:

QB: Gibbs really sets his offense around the strengths of his QB. He has already said he wants a vet and will go with 3 QBs. Ramsey is arguably the best QB Gibbs has had since Theismann. Warner or Brunnell could fit in here as backups or starters, who knows, but Gibbs will definitely get a vet in FA.

OL: Must be a dominant OL line. Maybe Bugel has what ne needs, might need a center and a backup OT. Both positions draftable in rounds 3-5.

TE: Uses 2-3 players who must bc very good blockers and can catch. The 2-3 TEs will have complementary skills. We'll see, but this position was never a glamour position with Gibbs so I don't think we'll draft Winslow.

Running Back: Must have a BRUISING RB...Corey Dillon? Will most likely be a FA who is a proven player. Not George, he is too upright a runner, is banged up, and too old.

H Back: Didn't we just resign Sellars? This position is for animals only and Sellars is an animal.

D-Line: Must have dominat DEs who force the action with good run stoppers at DT. This area needs draft and FA help asap. This will be a primary focus as well as RB.

LB: In the old days this was a no name group with average skills. This group today is way better than what Gibbs previously had. We're pretty much set. Williams should make this group the best in pro football and Arrington the best since LT.

CB: Key for Gibbs is to have studs here and we are set. I don't think Champ will go anywhere, and Smoot can play

SS: Bowen will stick, he's Gibbs' kind of player

FS: Will look for help here but not a big priority

PK: For a change, no problem

P: Will find someone, again not a real high priority

Net, net, this team needs 2-3 DL (1 DE, 2 TD),
a stud RB, a center, and we should be off to the races. My guess is if we get a RB in FA, we will focus on the DL in the first 2 rounds of the draft and FA.

---------

Postby redskins56 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:54 pm

1. Defensive Line (2 run stoppers, 2 pass rushers)
2. Running Back (Gibbs needs a horse to carry load)
3. Tight End (run blocker, pass catcher, threat in open field)
4. Legitamite safety (compete with David Terrell for 3rd spot)
5. Backup QB with experience to help Patrick and Timothy OR Gibran

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:33 pm

1. Defensive Line (2 run stoppers, 2 pass rushers)
complete overhaul eh? don't know if cap space will allow four. heck, id settle for 1 run stopper, and 1 pass rushing end. i think wynn does an ok job for his price, and would be better not having to help out the DT's on every play.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:14 am

They need to start Mitchell over Trotter( he sucks) they need a olb Armstead is getting old. A new D-line. a TE a center and a tb. At minumum this team needs 8 new starters.

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:17 am

If we're gonna make that new 4-6 defense work, we're gonna need some help with our front 4. Our LBs are strong enough to make it work, but our front defensive line is not.

I also think we need an upgrade at TE.

As for the RB position, I'm thinkin' we should give Ladell Betts a try as our #1 guy (instead of rotating our RBs). I think he has what it takes...but, I guess, time will tell.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Hog

Postby Kentucky Fried Hog » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:28 pm

I think 95% of the focus should be on defense. We're okay at RB, although I can't decide between the Rock and Ladell. One of those guys, given the chance, will be a solid RB for years to come.

The other 5% should be on finding a TE.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:34 am

Between Betts for the power and Rock, Trung and Morton for the scat back types, Gibbs has more than enough to choose from. I am willing to bet that they do so much better this year with someone who is a consistent coach, and a better RB coach as well - Hue is cool, but Breaux is well known for his skill at that position.

I see DL and safety, possibly TE if we don't address the DL in FA. If we get DL in FA then S,TE and maybe RB.
Rich in Roanoke

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010