My take

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog

Postby ferryrich » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:30 am

There were plenty more influential players than Sharpe on those teams. Yes he was a great player, he just can't have the impact of other players.

What I would say is that a GROUP of great offensive players can have a greater impact than a GROUP of great defensive players.

I guess what this is leading me to believe is that I'd rather have a high standard of players in each position offensively, while on defense I'd rather have 4 or 5 extreme playmakers (Kearse, DT, LaVar, Champ, Sean Taylor ooh make that 6 and add Donovin Darius!!), with the rest of the D being solid.

piggie

Postby HogInBlacksburg » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:48 pm

[quote="ferryrich"]

What I would say is that a GROUP of great offensive players can have a greater impact than a GROUP of great defensive players.

:hmm: Is that why the Chiefs, Colts, Vikings, and Rams go to the Superbowl eve...wait, I think the Patriots and the Panthers went. I believe those two fall under the latter "GROUP".

Hog

Postby ferryrich » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:41 am

Please don't take one sentence out of several posts and argue one point. Look at all my other posts. Actually READ them. Then, put together a cogent response about all of it and I might think to answer you

piggie

Postby HogInBlacksburg » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:22 pm

I read your posts. I was responding to your latest one. I respect your opinion. But, we can agree to disagree that "a group of great offensive players can have a greater impact than a group of great defensive players". I don't agree with that. :)

Hog

Postby ferryrich » Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:02 pm

Fair enough

All I mean is that a single great player on defense would have a greater impact than a single great player on offense.

Um, example? Brian Urlacher, LaVar, Junior Seau (a couple of years ago) are all players who if you put them in a defense full of average players, would improve that defense immensely.

On the other side, you take a team full of average offensive players and add someone like Manning, Ricky Williams, Priest Holmes, Moss, TO, they won't have such a great effect.

Whereas, you take that same average D and add LaVar, Champ, Kearse the impact each successive one has is less than the previous one. Add LaVar = HUGE difference, then add Champ = Pretty big influence, add Kearse = Big influence.

Best example for the O is actually Dallas of a few years back. You take the same average O, add troy aikman = little impact, add emmitt smith = fairly big impact, add michael irvin = huge impact.

Personnaly, I think that explains my point.
What I'd add is that I would always go for defense first. If your D can stop the opposition, its a lot easier for the offense to get a few points.
Defense comes first and second on my list of priorities this off-season!! (I wouldn't mess with the O much at all)

piggie

Postby BigCarter28 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:43 pm

dude your not making any sense, um an example of an Amazing QB who was the main reason behind the success of a stricley average team would be VICK

Hog

Postby ferryrich » Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:30 pm

He played 5 games this year and the falcons finished bottom of their division.

He had hardly anybody to throw to, hardly anyone blocking for him. He had better success running than passing, all things considered.

Now the running backs he has are about average and he has an OK TE. Price COULD be a decent target. The line he has aren't anything too special.

So thats 1 great player and most of the rest are average.

In 2002, Atlanta ended up with a mid-ranked offense and a defense that hardly gave up any points.

If Atlanta manage to get TO this off-season and Vick is fit, they'll definitely be a force. It just takes more than 1 guy.

Logicisfunhog

Postby Logicisfunhog » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:58 pm

Mr. Ferryrich, i have been all over this site and I have never heard a more rambling incoherent, and simply irrational bunch of premises strung together with equally inane comparisons in my life.

someone brings up vick and you talk about the year he was injured and not the year he singlehandedly took his team to the playoffs. your whole "group" of players thing reeks of the reasoning of a 12 year old mentally challenged kid, which, if you don't know, smells like cabbage and beets.

Hog

Postby ferryrich » Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:02 pm

Best way of proving you have no point is to insult people.

Logicisfunhog

Postby Logicisfunhog » Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:10 pm

Are you by any chance, a ten year-old girl, Mr. "Fairy"rich??????

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:55 pm

please stop with the name calling and personal attacks. if you want to "cyber fight" go to the sportsline message boards, there are plenty of kids there that would be more than willing to take you up on it.
ferryrich is entitled to his opinion, as you are to yours, if you don't like it, don't respond.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

piggie

Postby HogInBlacksburg » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:59 pm

Exactly. =D> Nice job HS :!:

ferryrich- I totally agree with your point that "Defense comes first and second on my list of priorities this off-season!!" :up:

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010