We may have interest in Calvin Johnson?

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
swine

We may have interest in Calvin Johnson?

Postby SKIN4LIFE » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:12 pm

I read at NFL.com that the Redskins had a large amount of people at his pro day. They said Dan Snyder (owner), Joe Gibbs (head coach), Al Saunders (offensive coordinator), Vinny Cerrato (vice president of football operations) and Jack Burns (offensive assistant) were all present for the pro day. I know the Redskins are linked by the media to any and every transaction that occurs in the NFL, but why would the owner and basically the entire offensive coaching staff be at his pro day if they weren't thinking about trading up.

Thoughts

link:
http://nfl.com/draft/analysis/individua ... uts#GAtech
Last edited by SKIN4LIFE on Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Changing the ways of Today (salary cap) will allow us to celebrate championships in the Future.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:16 pm

He's supposedly considered the best player in the draft. Even though we don't need him some people say that you don't always draft your need, you take the best person available.

1. I'm a fan of getting a dlinmen.
2. I'm in favor of trading down.
3. I'm not ethused about it but I wouldnt be mad if we took Calvin, imo we need a big WR. I dont think now is the time and Lloyd;s leaping ability can fill that need for now.

swine

Postby SKIN4LIFE » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:22 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:He's supposedly considered the best player in the draft. Even though we don't need him some people say that you don't always draft your need, you take the best person available.

3. I'm not ethused about it but I wouldnt be mad if we took Calvin, imo we need a big WR. I dont think now is the time and Lloyd;s leaping ability can fill that need for now.

I agree. I have been enjoying the fact that us Redskin fans may have a reason to watch the entire draft next year, and if we move up this year in the draft, you know that will mean we gave away picks for next year. Seeing their interest does scare me a little bit, but like you also said, he would be the big reciever we need, with speed to go with his large frame.
Changing the ways of Today (salary cap) will allow us to celebrate championships in the Future.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:31 pm

SKIN4LIFE wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:He's supposedly considered the best player in the draft. Even though we don't need him some people say that you don't always draft your need, you take the best person available.

I agree. I have been enjoying the fact that us Redskin fans may have a reason to watch the entire draft next year, and if we move up this year in the draft, you know that will mean we gave away picks for next year. Seeing their interest does scare me a little bit, but like you also said, he would be the big receiver we need, with speed to go with his large frame.

And by some weird stroke of "luck" he may be available at the 6th spot, so they'll need to know what he can do depending on what they need to do. Everyone is interested in this kid but I doubt we really want him.

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:23 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:And by some weird stroke of "luck" he may be available at the 6th spot, so they'll need to know what he can do depending on what they need to do. Everyone is interested in this kid but I doubt we really want him.

I would love to see him drop to the 6th pick but that will not happen and, even if he did, he'd simply become a much larger bargaining chip, the pick would net the Redskins that much more.
RIP Sean Taylor

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:18 pm

I totally agree.

I know we need defensive Lineman. But if Calvin was available at 6 how can anyone seriously pass on this beast of an athlete?
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

piggie

Postby SeanTaylorJr. » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:52 pm

CJ would be amazing opposite Santana, that would be amazing for our offense, if we could get him, without losing too much we should take it.

That said, we need DLINE... but

It isn't completely out of the question that he could be there for us after Jamarcus, Adrian Pete tearing it up at their pro days
On the eighth day God created Sean Taylor- and he was good.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:20 am

Part of the draft game is in keeping the rest of the league guessing, and (hopefully) guessing wrong. I suspect the trip to watch Johnson had more to do with that, than the real plan.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:28 am

Folks, Tampa Bay was 28th in TD receptions, 28th in receiving yards, 29th in receiving first-downs and 30th in passes over 20 yards. They will NOT pass on Johnson should he drop to them.
RIP Sean Taylor

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:08 am

The only way I see them passing on CJ is if for some weired reason Jemarcus Russell is still available.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:12 am

This draft is going to very interesting. It's nice having a reason to watch it this year.

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:46 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:This draft is going to very interesting. It's nice having a reason to watch it this year.

Well...for part of it at least *grin*.

^^^^^^^^

Postby Gibbs' Hog » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:16 pm

Countertrey wrote:Part of the draft game is in keeping the rest of the league guessing, and (hopefully) guessing wrong. I suspect the trip to watch Johnson had more to do with that, than the real plan.

Prior to drafting JC, I would tend to agree with this statement. But I think some of us thought the Skins had a similar plan when Joe was visiting Auburn a couple years ago (i.e. let's let the rest of the league think we might be interested in Jason Campbell...). In actuality, we truly were interested in JC and acted accordingly.

Johnson would be a steal, but I think we need to be sure we have good blockers up front (along with a solid DL pick) before we get too excited about a new WR. Just my My 2 cents

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:07 pm

Isn't CJ a junior coming out early? I really like him, but this is my only concern about him. Never a big fan of WRs coming out early.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby spenser » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:46 pm

I normally would say NEVER draft a WR in the first round especially in light of our recent WR pickups (westbrook, and Jacobs although he was 2nd rounder) BUT... CJ is a freaking Manimal. Hes got great size and amazing Speed for someone that big. Talk about opeing things up and giving Clinton running lanes. I think i was reading today somewhere that EVERY SINGLE team in the nfl has him as the best player period. Dude came to the combine and wasnt even going to run, then borrowed someone elses shoes, and proceeded to shoot his ass out of cannon. Now im not buying all the hype becase i remember many "next great" WR's (mike williams, Charles rogers, Braylon edwards etc) but I wouldnt mind at all if we were able to snatch him up. That being said.... it will NEVER happen. No way he slips past Tampa, unless someone gives them the house ala champ bailey/ricky williams that we pulled.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010