We may have interest in Calvin Johnson?

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:38 pm

PulpExposure wrote:
SkinsFreak wrote:Based on the lack of production at the WR position in 2004, it was not a stretch for fans to think that we might take Mike Williams, as many analysts projected that year.

Except the month before the draft we traded for Santana Moss....and signed him to a big contract. WR was seen as far less of a need position after that, relative to other needs we had at the time.

Precisely, the chief concern I had going into that draft was that the 'Skins might take Pacman, who I did not want
RIP Sean Taylor

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:48 pm

Fios wrote:
PulpExposure wrote:
SkinsFreak wrote:Based on the lack of production at the WR position in 2004, it was not a stretch for fans to think that we might take Mike Williams, as many analysts projected that year.

Except the month before the draft we traded for Santana Moss....and signed him to a big contract. WR was seen as far less of a need position after that, relative to other needs we had at the time.

Precisely, the chief concern I had going into that draft was that the 'Skins might take Pacman, who I did not want

Yeah it was fairly clear we needed a young corner, because we had Springs (who was 30), and Walt Harris as our starting corners going into that year. So there were Rolle, Jones, and Rogers to pick from, and I felt we were going to get one of the three...

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:32 pm

Whether or not some of you thought we were going to take a DB that year is not really the overall point I was trying to establish. I said that some may have an idea, but none of us knew for sure. My point was that we simply don't know and sometimes we get something that isn't expected.

I already know many of you are physic and always have all the answers. :twisted:

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:42 pm

SkinsFreak wrote:I already know many of you are physic and always have all the answers. :twisted:

Sweet. I choose to be E=mc^2.

Hog

Postby funbuncher » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:29 pm

SKIN4LIFE wrote:I think that B Lloyd would be involved in the trade if we moved up to #2. Picking Johnson would leave us with 4 high paid recievers, and if one were to go it would have to be B. Lloyd. Maybe we could package the #6 pick, Springs, and Lloyd in return for the #2 pick, and later draft picks. Just a thought. I think the lions value Springs, and due to all the reciever's they have drafted who have under performed, I think B. Lloyd would be a perfect fit for them as the #2 reciever. Plus, based on the way Millen has ran this franchise, he probably doesn't even know the draft value card exist. Just my opinion.

Yea, somehow I didn't think of Lloyd. Why would we keep 4 highly paid WR on the roster?

Guess I'm just not sure if they would want him or not. The Lions have re-signed Mike Furrey and picked up Shawn McDonald who are both sort of #3 receivers, and they also have the afore-mentioned Mike Williams who has shown up over-weight again I hear. And of course they have "The Legend" Roy Williams (get him on your fantasy team next year!).

So I guess they might consider Lloyd a better option than some of those, but since they just signed Furrey and McDonald, would that leave Mike Williams as the odd man out already?

Skinsfreak, I had forgotten the Gibbs/Millen connection as well. You are right, that could help grease the wheels of trade.

We could point to what we gave up for Lloyd as evidence that he could have some value to them? We are reaching a bit here, but as we've said before, a few things are pointing in this direction.

NFL Network is now reporting that we will at least contact the Pats about Asante Samual, so that would obviously kill any of this. I like Asante A LOT more than Briggs for us.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010