Laron Landry

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog

Postby fleetus » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:35 pm

ESPN's overview of our draft mentioned this:

Drafting Landry will allow Sean Taylor to play center field and roam the middle of the field. Landry will be in the box, and that will negate his weakness, which is judging the deep ball.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Sounds eerily similar to ST's weakness doesn't it? I'm not panicking, nor am I calling it a bad draft selection, but wow, it does make you think, did we get another safety who will leave the deep zones unprotected a few times too many?
Build through the draft!

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:03 pm

fleetus wrote:ESPN's overview of our draft mentioned this:

Drafting Landry will allow Sean Taylor to play center field and roam the middle of the field. Landry will be in the box, and that will negate his weakness, which is judging the deep ball.

Sounds eerily similar to ST's weakness doesn't it? I'm not panicking, nor am I calling it a bad draft selection, but wow, it does make you think, did we get another safety who will leave the deep zones unprotected a few times too many?

I think they are basically gonna tell ST to sit back there.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat May 05, 2007 6:06 pm

brad7686 wrote:

I think they are basically gonna tell ST to sit back there.

GW says the safeties won't be interchangeable this year Taylor will play FS and Landry will be the SS. He say's this will allow Taylor to go after more balls.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Sat May 05, 2007 11:11 pm

you said more balls :lol:
HAIL

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat May 05, 2007 11:23 pm

Gibbs4Life wrote:you said more balls :lol:

GW said more balls I just repeated it :D
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby fleetus » Sun May 06, 2007 11:12 am

Yeah, I read the Post article too. Just thinking, we've got ST who is known for his propensity to gamble on coverage to make a big hit. Sometimes a nice pump fake from the QB sends him flying like a missile in one direction while a WR streaks down the seam for a TD.

We draft Landry (who I'm really excited about) but his talent happens to be... laying monster hits on people who try to cross the middle od the field. So a nice pump fake from the QB might send ST and Laron on a collision course while the WR takes one to the house. :lol:

Oh well, at least they'll be fun to watch. I kinda like the idea of ST and Laron in the huddle against Dallas, betting each other which one can put T.O. out of tha game first. :lol: :lol:
Build through the draft!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun May 06, 2007 11:44 am

Sounds like on ST, Williams is saying his coverage is good, but suffered because he needed to start play in the box to help with run coverage, which is why he was getting beat deep over the middle. Which does make sense for a safety. Hopefully that's going to work out like GW thinks.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun May 06, 2007 6:08 pm

I predict a return to the top 5 for our defense this year. Williams is too good of a co-ordinator and there is too much at stake here for both himself and our team.

I believe he will have learnt a lot from the mistakes he and the team made last year.
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins but Griffin has a huge upside IMO

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon May 07, 2007 9:42 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Sounds like on ST, Williams is saying his coverage is good, but suffered because he needed to start play in the box to help with run coverage, which is why he was getting beat deep over the middle. Which does make sense for a safety. Hopefully that's going to work out like GW thinks.

Yes, you make a point that hit me when I read the interview also. Taylor is fast but he was trying to play two positions at once.

I never once said a bad word about Taylor, it was just a bad year. I mean how can people think he has bad cover skills is beyond me.

For the kiddies.

Pop in Madden.
Bring Taylor to the line of scrimmage on a pass play.
Try to cover the WR.

See what happens? Taylor is trailing the WR because he was out of position.

Now...!

Play Sean Taylor in the middle of the field. Do you see how he can go and catch interceptions now...?
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby everydayAskinsday » Mon May 07, 2007 11:33 am

haha I like the use of Madden to show people how somethings actualy work .. and I agree I think Taylor will now be more of a ball hawk and in looking at Landry on www.redskins.com standing with our other draft picks all I can say is sorry to opposing recievers.. hes a stud just like Taylor.. Im excited to see them out there together

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Mon May 07, 2007 12:29 pm

everydayAskinsday wrote:haha I like the use of Madden to show people how somethings actualy work .. and I agree I think Taylor will now be more of a ball hawk and in looking at Landry on www.redskins.com standing with our other draft picks all I can say is sorry to opposing recievers.. hes a stud just like Taylor.. Im excited to see them out there together

Agreed. Also, after watching Landry on Redskins.com and on the NFL Network, I really like how he moves and runs. He's fast and has good body control. I can't wait to see both Taylor and Landry in action.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon May 07, 2007 12:31 pm

everydayAskinsday wrote:haha I like the use of Madden to show people how somethings actualy work .. and I agree I think Taylor will now be more of a ball hawk and in looking at Landry on www.redskins.com standing with our other draft picks all I can say is sorry to opposing recievers.. hes a stud just like Taylor.. Im excited to see them out there together

I think it's funny how people can say he has a lack of ball skills after what he did prior to 2006. Its like these fans don't believe that ANYONE can have a down year.

Taylor was a hawk his rookie season!

Taylor PROVED (at least I thought he did) that he had a nose for the ball during the playoff run. Nobody remembers the TD returns?

Taylor simply has not been put in a position to do what he can do. Hopefully this year he will be.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

piggie

Postby jklote » Mon May 07, 2007 5:44 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:

I think it's funny how people can say he has a lack of ball skills after what he did prior to 2006. Its like these fans don't believe that ANYONE can have a down year.

Taylor was a hawk his rookie season!

Taylor PROVED (at least I thought he did) that he had a nose for the ball during the playoff run. Nobody remembers the TD returns?

Taylor simply has not been put in a position to do what he can do. Hopefully this year he will be.

I agree 100% - the supporting cast for Sean was not good last year with all the injuries. The best things for the Skins defense in 2007 would be a healthy Sean Springs and Cornelius Griffin.

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Tue May 08, 2007 2:10 am

Landry is the best #2 safety we've had since Ryan Clark.

It still stings to hear the names Ryan Clark and Antonio Pierce
We keep those two and we probably perenially go to the playoffs the last 3 years.
HAIL

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Sun May 13, 2007 5:17 pm

Can Landry cover Jason Witten? He is alittle small no?
HAIL

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010