Brandon Meriweather Safety Miami 31st pick

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
piglet

Brandon Meriweather Safety Miami 31st pick

Postby Rayskins69 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:11 pm

A friend a mine who is good friends with Brandon Meriweathers father told me that he had just came back from DC and the Skins were very high on him. I told him no way they pick him that high, but it all seems to make sense now if the trade down to 31 goes thru. Taylor and Meriweather at Safety. Would be a strong back seven with Briggs.

HTTR,
Ray

08 Champ

Re: Brandon Meriweather Safety Miami 31st pick

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:41 pm

Rayskins69 wrote:A friend a mine who is good friends with Brandon Meriweathers father told me that he had just came back from DC and the Skins were very high on him. I told him no way they pick him that high, but it all seems to make sense now if the trade down to 31 goes thru. Taylor and Meriweather at Safety. Would be a strong back seven with Briggs.

G'day and welcome - I'm sure you would agree that even with 2 Champ Baileys & both Meriweather & Taylor back there we still would have no defense without being able to pressure the QB - our secondary last year was not that bad and we were rated as the 31st defense. This is primarily because we could not pressure the QB.
Yes, we need a decent secondary BUT we have to improve up-front first. My 2 cents.

The secondary is termed "secondary" for a reason.
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

piglet

Postby Rayskins69 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:41 pm

G'day and welcome - I'm sure you would agree that even with 2 Champ Baileys & both Meriweather & Taylor back there we still would have no defense without being able to pressure the QB - our secondary last year was not that bad and we were rated as the 31st defense. This is primarily because we could not pressure the QB.
Yes, we need a decent secondary BUT we have to improve up-front first. My 2 cents.

I agree whole heartedly, the game is won in the trenches. I thought that towards the end of the season that Andre Carter had found his stride. We invested two draft picks already in DT last season and I would like to see them develop. Now I would love to get another DE to go opposite of Carter, but for me I would rather have the "known"Briggs and Meriweather (or a DE in the draft) than taking a chance on Gaines Adams. I was of the opinion we should trade back anyway and pick up a second and third. Briggs is undoubtly better than a 2nd and 3rd. One of our Linebackers anyways will be coming off the edge in passing downs so it is a matter of a DE putting pressure on 1st down packages. Just a humble mans opinion.

HTTR
Ray

The secondary is termed "secondary" for a reason.[/quote]

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:10 pm

Rayskins69 wrote:G'day and welcome - I'm sure you would agree that even with 2 Champ Baileys & both Meriweather & Taylor back there we still would have no defense without being able to pressure the QB - our secondary last year was not that bad and we were rated as the 31st defense. This is primarily because we could not pressure the QB.

I agree whole heartedly, the game is won in the trenches. I thought that towards the end of the season that Andre Carter had found his stride. We invested two draft picks already in DT last season and I would like to see them develop. Now I would love to get another DE to go opposite of Carter, but for me I would rather have the "known"Briggs and Meriweather (or a DE in the draft) than taking a chance on Gaines Adams. I was of the opinion we should trade back anyway and pick up a second and third. Briggs is undoubtly better than a 2nd and 3rd. One of our Linebackers anyways will be coming off the edge in passing downs so it is a matter of a DE putting pressure on 1st down packages. Just a humble mans opinion.

HTTR
Ray

[/quote] Welcome.
How are we supposed to pick up Briggs? We surely would have to have something to trade them. We only have one first round pick. If we trade that then how are we to draft merriwhether in first round? Also If we are gonna pick up a safety why not Laron Landry? It sounds nice its just that it is very unlikely we pick up Briggs. We would have to trade away all our picks to get Briggs. Then we would have nothing left.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

piggie

Postby SeanTaylorJr. » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:31 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:
Rayskins69 wrote:G'day and welcome - I'm sure you would agree that even with 2 Champ Baileys & both Meriweather & Taylor back there we still would have no defense without being able to pressure the QB - our secondary last year was not that bad and we were rated as the 31st defense. This is primarily because we could not pressure the QB.

HTTR
Ray

Welcome.
How are we supposed to pick up Briggs? We surely would have to have something to trade them. We only have one first round pick. If we trade that then how are we to draft merriwhether in first round? Also If we are gonna pick up a safety why not Laron Landry? It sounds nice its just that it is very unlikely we pick up Briggs. We would have to trade away all our picks to get Briggs. Then we would have nothing left.[/quote]

Not quite sure if your up to date on the possible trade, we would swap 1st rounders, and get briggs---------At least that is what seems to be the case on various sites.

As for the trade, WE NEED DLINEMEN----> but if we could get a pro bowl linebacker for the deal aforementioned, i think that we should think about it.
On the eighth day God created Sean Taylor- and he was good.

~~~~~~~~~~

Postby air_hog » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:35 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:Welcome.
How are we supposed to pick up Briggs? We surely would have to have something to trade them. We only have one first round pick. If we trade that then how are we to draft merriwhether in first round? Also If we are gonna pick up a safety why not Laron Landry? It sounds nice its just that it is very unlikely we pick up Briggs. We would have to trade away all our picks to get Briggs. Then we would have nothing left.

Hey, and now that you're out of your coma: http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23103

:wink:

And that scenario sounds nice, but we've already invested too much into our LB core to pick up another multi-millionare. I would seriously cry for about 10 mins. if I found out we traded for Briggs.
joebagadonuts on IsaneBoost's signature:
-- "I laughed. I cried. Better than Cats"

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:05 pm

air_hog wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:Welcome.

Hey, and now that you're out of your coma: http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23103

:wink:

And that scenario sounds nice, but we've already invested too much into our LB core to pick up another multi-millionare. I would seriously cry for about 10 mins. if I found out we traded for Briggs.
I am awake now. This must have happened overnight geez.

Well I guess the rumors where true. We are discussing this with the Bears.

I say if we can get there first and aquire a second rounder than why not? :lol:
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:16 pm

We would like to do this deal BUT it does not sound like the Bears will go for it :lol:

Seems like these guys are going to milk this 6 pick for all they can and I'm sure we haven't heard the end of all that is going to happen here - all of that would stop if we went down to the 31st pick.

We are going to have to get players in that will help the D line and the secondary - these are the main areas for improvement - Briggs would be a huge addition but I think we will be fine with the LBs we currently have.

I guess I'm hoping we can do better, even though this is a good deal.
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:31 pm

Briggs is like DE in that he can pressure the QB on any given play. Andre Carter and Phillip might be better with Briggs, Fletch, & Marcus behind them!

There is a reason we purposed the deal and it's because it's a great deal for us.
HAIL

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010