Trade Down Scenario

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
piggie

Trade Down Scenario

Postby HanburgerHelper » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:11 pm

I think the Redskins should stand pat with their #6 pick unless there is a trade partner who wants to grab say, Brady Quinn (e.g., Minnesota) or Gaines Adams, and they're still on the board at #6. Maybe we could wrangle up a late #2 or #3 pick for moving back a few spots. I still like Okoye, Jamaal Anderson, or Adam Carriker. Maybe if we slide just a couple spots, we can trade down again, retain a late #1 pick and add #2 and #3 picks.

I hate the talk about moving up for Calvin Johnson. He's being crowned the next Jerry Rice or Randy Moss before he's even played one down. Besides that, he's a WR. How many WRs are worth a number one overall pick? Even Rice and Moss are not the commodities they are without their systems and QBs they landed into. I have to believe this is a smoke screen. I have too many bad memories of the 1992 draft day blunder giving up two number one picks to move up to take Michigan WR Desmond Howard at #4 overall. I hope we've learned our lesson. I nearly lost it when that happened. I wanted them to pick Michael Barrow (LB, Miami) and Troy Vincent (CB, Wisconsin). Horrible.

I think Marques Colston is proof that you can get a good WR at any point in the draft.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:16 pm

It appears that Mike Espy will be filling our spot. He's been at Redskins Park working hard, showing coaches he's committed. I think that if we can trade down, thats the best case scenario. A lot of people don't like the idea. They really want Gains Adams, or the other two but in all reality, this draft is very deep for the offensive lineman in the first and early second round.

piglet

Postby Peety » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:44 pm

If the Bears turned us down, good for us because I believe we don't really need another LB. we have Marshal who is really underrated just because he had a bad season last year,(who didn't)then we have Washington who along with Fletcher and our prospect Mcintosh should develop a good chemistry. I feel good about our LBs. Also, I dont think this draft class is very deep in talent, I like Adams and Jamaal Anderson and Alan Branch, but I dont think they are not worth a number 6 pick. I hope the redskins really think this over and trade down for more picks.

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:40 pm

Peety wrote:If the Bears turned us down, good for us because I believe we don't really need another LB. we have Marshal who is really underrated just because he had a bad season last year,(who didn't)then we have Washington who along with Fletcher and our prospect Mcintosh should develop a good chemistry. I feel good about our LBs. Also, I dont think this draft class is very deep in talent, I like Adams and Jamaal Anderson and Alan Branch, but I dont think they are not worth a number 6 pick. I hope the redskins really think this over and trade down for more picks.

Maybe I don't get out much, but I think Gaines Adams is the fastest DE I've ever seen. I was stunned by his speed and don't think even the best tackles in the NFL can react quickly enough to consistently stop him; he's also much faster and more athletic than all NFL QB's but two. He won't be evaded and doesn't miss tackles. Plus, he has the frame to put on muscle without losing speed. It's absolute nonsense he isn't worth a #6. We'd be lucky to get him there.

kazoo

Re: Trade Down Scenario

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:07 pm

HanburgerHelper wrote:I think Marques Colston is proof that you can get a good WR at any point in the draft.

And Desmond and Westbrook proof the next great thing may not be.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

piggie

Re: Trade Down Scenario

Postby SO. CAL. SKIN DUDE » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:04 pm

And Desmond and Westbrook proof the next great thing may not be.[/quote]

Amen to that!! No wideouts with the 1st pick... please!

Again, how meanh times must we repeat what has been stated 100 times, we need to address our weakness, and that is Defensive Line

Around week 11 when we've sustained some injuries to the front 4 (which always happens), having a young stud continue to apply pressure to the QB will be crucial.
LET'S GET'ER ON GO!!

Hog

Postby spenser » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:04 pm

I agree with crazyhorse guy.... Stand pat and hope Adams doesnt get snatched up

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:18 pm

crazyhorse1 wrote:Maybe I don't get out much, but I think Gaines Adams is the fastest DE I've ever seen. I was stunned by his speed and don't think even the best tackles in the NFL can react quickly enough to consistently stop him; he's also much faster and more athletic than all NFL QB's but two. He won't be evaded and doesn't miss tackles. Plus, he has the frame to put on muscle without losing speed. It's absolute nonsense he isn't worth a #6. We'd be lucky to get him there.

You know? I've been watching some draft specials on the NFL Network and I have to admit, he's really starting to grow on me. I think your right regarding his speed. I have been critical of him and I've been in favor of drafting Anderson. But I think your assessment of Gaines' potential could be fairly accurate. Yes, I've also been in favor of trading down and also the Briggs deal, but if we stay at #6, I would be thrilled to get this guy.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:30 pm

spenser wrote:I agree with crazyhorse guy.... Stand pat and hope Adams doesnt get snatched up

I can't remember if I posted it here or not but it looks like he may be going at the 2nd pick. He is really hot right now in the NFL. So we will see.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:32 pm

Moving to the draft section.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby fleetus » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:34 pm

Where Adams is expected to be drafted will likely change a few times. These players will move up and down the boards right up until draft day. I see it going something like this:

Russell, Johnson, A. Peterson, J. Thomas, Adams, Skins

Then we hope that Quinn's stock is still high (I think he's overrated now) or that someone desperately wants Landry or Hall. Fun to talk about, but this may change 10 times between now and then. Perfect world would have us trading down to #8-12 area and still get Okoye or Branch, IMO.
Build through the draft!

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010