DE...............

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog
Location: Redding, Ca: Repping Santa Cruz, the real Surf City in Cali!

DE...............

Postby Californiaskin » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:24 am

I think we should use our #6 pick overall on one of the top rated DE's available such as Gains adams or Jamaal Anderson.

If we are to trade down I think it would be better to get a DE instead of looking for another linebacker (ie the Briggs deal)

Does anyone know of young upcoming DE's available who we could aquire for our spot at #6 and get a later first round pick as well?

Seems as though we quit on young DE's way to early like when we gave Kenard Langs cash to broken down old Bruce Smith and let go of guys like Rich Owens

We need some enthusiasm at that spot.....it will make the secondary play better for sure........

I guess I'm not completely sold on Andre Carter.....he seemed to get blown off the ball on the run alot (check the Titans game tape)

Hog

Postby Snout » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:57 am

I am all for a DE, but not with the 6th pick. You use the 6th pick to try to draft a star. We do not need another star. We have too many stars. Instead, we need more solid starters who quietly go about their business and get the job done.

I would make an exception if there was a clear and obvious choice who was hands down far superior to everyone else. The next Lawrence Taylor. The next Reggie White. But I don't see such a player.

Trade #6 for two low first round/high second round picks. Guys who would be solid starters with some upside potential. Don't roll the dice with the #6.

I fear a repeat of the Carlos Rogers situation. Carlos is a fine player, but we all expected more from such a high pick. In hindsight, we could have traded that pick and probably drafted two reliable starters instead of one, and at lower salaries.

I would like to see us trade the #6 for two picks in the #25-#40 overall range. Then take on DT and one DE.

Hog

Postby BnGhog » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:12 am

I like the idea of getting a DE with the 6th pick. I think drafting a star and buying a star in FA is two totally different things. You draft one he won't be the cocky guy you pick up in FA, this would be his first job in the NFL, I think a draft star would come in and try to fit in, not like a FA, he would still be a rookie not a guy with a chip on his shoulder. (that is if he accually become a star and is not a bust) I'm all for trading down also, I just think our chances of finding a Diamond in the rough is way harder if we do trade down. Its hard to find a great impact player in high picks, if we pick lower picks its hard to even find a starter.

With the Skins, who knows, we may not have any picks by draft day. :lol:

I'm just hoping we do use the draft for some depth.
I firmly believe the Patriots are the antichrist.

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:24 am

BnGhog wrote:I like the idea of getting a DE with the 6th pick. I think drafting a star and buying a star in FA is two totally different things.

You are right; they are two totally different things...

Drafting a star: At the NFL level, they are not "stars" yet and are unproven. Remember how everyone talks about 1st round busts?

Buying a star (FA): Already possesses "star" quality and is proven.

Here's what I mean:

BnGhog wrote:Its hard to find a great impact player in high picks, if we pick lower picks its hard to even find a starter.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010