trading up

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 665
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:25 pm
Location: Columbia MD

trading up

Postby skins2357 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:21 am

we have all heard Gibbs and Co saying they want to move up in the draft and personally I hate the idea and have no idea why. I have heard the whole thing that we want jamarcus but I really REALLY cant see that with campbell in the mix. Im thinking that maybe we are trading up to get a player like Thomas. I have no idea about him other than he is a tackle, but maybe they believe he has the agility to play G ot their thinking about moving jansen to G and getting this guy. I am just trying to keep myself sane because I HATE the idea of getting a player who does not fill a hole (CJ, JM) Just an idea

kazoo
Posts: 10195
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Re: trading up

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:25 am

skins2357 wrote:we have all heard Gibbs and Co saying they want to move up in the draft and personally I hate the idea and have no idea why. I have heard the whole thing that we want jamarcus but I really REALLY cant see that with campbell in the mix. Im thinking that maybe we are trading up to get a player like Thomas. I have no idea about him other than he is a tackle, but maybe they believe he has the agility to play G ot their thinking about moving jansen to G and getting this guy. I am just trying to keep myself sane because I HATE the idea of getting a player who does not fill a hole (CJ, JM) Just an idea


They've looked at ALL the possibilities, trading up, trading down, trading for a player (Briggs), keeping the pick. Looking at all the options is a good thing. Once they pull the trigger on something you can agree or disagree with the move, but I wouldn't lose your sanity over exploring options and rumors about what they'll do.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:17 pm

Re: trading up

Postby jazzskins » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:42 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
skins2357 wrote:we have all heard Gibbs and Co saying they want to move up in the draft and personally I hate the idea and have no idea why. I have heard the whole thing that we want jamarcus but I really REALLY cant see that with campbell in the mix. Im thinking that maybe we are trading up to get a player like Thomas. I have no idea about him other than he is a tackle, but maybe they believe he has the agility to play G ot their thinking about moving jansen to G and getting this guy. I am just trying to keep myself sane because I HATE the idea of getting a player who does not fill a hole (CJ, JM) Just an idea


They've looked at ALL the possibilities, trading up, trading down, trading for a player (Briggs), keeping the pick. Looking at all the options is a good thing. Once they pull the trigger on something you can agree or disagree with the move, but I wouldn't lose your sanity over exploring options and rumors about what they'll do.


Its really all a bluff. The skins aren't really looking to trade up. They will stay put or trade down. But to pull off a trade down they need to make people think that there is someone in the top 5 that they really want. That way if Joe Thomas (for example) falls they can get the most out fo the pick by saying that they fully intend to draft him and anyone wanting to get him needs to put an enticing offer together.

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Re: trading up

Postby 1niksder » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:42 pm

jazzskins wrote:Its really all a bluff. The skins aren't really looking to trade up. They will stay put or trade down. But to pull off a trade down they need to make people think that there is someone in the top 5 that they really want. That way if Joe Thomas (for example) falls they can get the most out fo the pick by saying that they fully intend to draft him and anyone wanting to get him needs to put an enticing offer together.

If Peterson is there at #6 I'd like to see the Skins trade with the Packers.
We'd swap the #6 for #17, the #47 (2nd), and #78 (3rd). This would be a good deal for GB points wise and they'd get a much needed RB. At #17 the Skins would still have options depending on who is available, or they could go back to the Bears for Briggs and the #31 pick for #17 we'd throw in the #78 pick and swap second round picks.

The Bears get Briggs off their hands and would be willing to pay the #17 pick while picking up a 3rd.

The Skins would get the #31 pick, #37 and a player for one pick :D
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

~~~~~
Posts: 1422
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:54 am
Location: Finksburg MD

Re: trading up

Postby Warmother » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:09 am

1niksder wrote:
jazzskins wrote:Its really all a bluff. The skins aren't really looking to trade up. They will stay put or trade down. But to pull off a trade down they need to make people think that there is someone in the top 5 that they really want. That way if Joe Thomas (for example) falls they can get the most out fo the pick by saying that they fully intend to draft him and anyone wanting to get him needs to put an enticing offer together.

If Peterson is there at #6 I'd like to see the Skins trade with the Packers.
We'd swap the #6 for #17, the #47 (2nd), and #78 (3rd). This would be a good deal for GB points wise and they'd get a much needed RB. At #17 the Skins would still have options depending on who is available, or they could go back to the Bears for Briggs and the #31 pick for #17 we'd throw in the #78 pick and swap second round picks.

The Bears get Briggs off their hands and would be willing to pay the #17 pick while picking up a 3rd.

The Skins would get the #31 pick, #37 and a player for one pick :D



I would love for the Skin's to do something like this. If Carriker was at #17 they could take him. If not trade down get a probowl LB and pick DE Abriameri from Notre Dame at #31.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

cappster
Posts: 2961
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:25 am
Location: Humanist, at your service.

Re: trading up

Postby Cappster » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:00 am

1niksder wrote:
jazzskins wrote:Its really all a bluff. The skins aren't really looking to trade up. They will stay put or trade down. But to pull off a trade down they need to make people think that there is someone in the top 5 that they really want. That way if Joe Thomas (for example) falls they can get the most out fo the pick by saying that they fully intend to draft him and anyone wanting to get him needs to put an enticing offer together.

If Peterson is there at #6 I'd like to see the Skins trade with the Packers.
We'd swap the #6 for #17, the #47 (2nd), and #78 (3rd). This would be a good deal for GB points wise and they'd get a much needed RB. At #17 the Skins would still have options depending on who is available, or they could go back to the Bears for Briggs and the #31 pick for #17 we'd throw in the #78 pick and swap second round picks.

The Bears get Briggs off their hands and would be willing to pay the #17 pick while picking up a 3rd.

The Skins would get the #31 pick, #37 and a player for one pick :D


You are hired! Now get in there and take care of business.
Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1681
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:50 am
Location: Charlottesville, Va.

Re: trading up

Postby fleetus » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:54 am

1niksder wrote:
jazzskins wrote:Its really all a bluff. The skins aren't really looking to trade up. They will stay put or trade down. But to pull off a trade down they need to make people think that there is someone in the top 5 that they really want. That way if Joe Thomas (for example) falls they can get the most out fo the pick by saying that they fully intend to draft him and anyone wanting to get him needs to put an enticing offer together.

If Peterson is there at #6 I'd like to see the Skins trade with the Packers.
We'd swap the #6 for #17, the #47 (2nd), and #78 (3rd). This would be a good deal for GB points wise and they'd get a much needed RB. At #17 the Skins would still have options depending on who is available, or they could go back to the Bears for Briggs and the #31 pick for #17 we'd throw in the #78 pick and swap second round picks.

The Bears get Briggs off their hands and would be willing to pay the #17 pick while picking up a 3rd.

The Skins would get the #31 pick, #37 and a player for one pick :D


Similar to the scenario I posted here:

http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22425&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

a while back, the #17 idea has merit because, like the Bills #12 and Falcons #8 and even possibly Texans #10, the Pack needs a RB.

However, the trade down with the Bears idea is -drinking a little goofy sounding. Not sure why they would agree to take a #17 from us for Briggs and the #31 if they won't agree to take the #6 for the same deal. Throwing in a 3rd rounder and swapping 2nd's doesn't make up for 700+ points required to get the BEars interested again. Not that we should blow our wad on Briggs anyway.

Lets stick to the topic here though. Trading up. If this happens, you gotta think it will be with the Lions. They are desperate to resolve a conflict at #2. They don't want another WR for fear of a lynch mob in Detroit. Quinn isn't worth the #2 pick and there will likely be several teams looking for Calvin Johnson at #2. and you can't rule out the Raiders drafting Johnson #1 which cause quite a stir for teams desperate to get Russell at #2.

The Browns #3, may be content to sit and wait for Peterson, Quinn or Thomas.

Bucs want Johnson, may trade up to #2 or sit and take Thomas or Adams at #4.

Cardinals are likely to stay put. Thomas or Adams most likely. If Peterson slipped this far, they probably couldn't pass him, (even though that would greatly help the Skins #6.)

So we move up to #2? How? We've got no picks. MAybe we include Springs since the Lions lost Dre Bly this year. Otherwise, we'd have to include some 2008 draft picks. Surely we'd only do this for the chance to draft Calvin Johnson. I don't see the Browns, Bucs or Cardinals as likely trade partners.[/url]
Build through the draft!

|||
Posts: 4306
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:34 am
Location: SANTA ANA,CA

Postby HEROHAMO » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:24 pm

The Bears trade would not help us. We lose so many slots to drop to 31. We also already have solid linebackers.

We offer Detroit our no.6 pick with maybe Marshall and Springs or next years second round pick. We then Draft C. Johnson at no. 2.

We offer C Johnson to maybe Tampa Bay they should throw the house at us.
Or any other team willing to throw us at least three to four 1st day picks.

The key is to aquire C Johnson. Then the rest of the teams will throw us a bunch of picks for him. He is the most highly coveted prize in this draft. Trust me this is the key to us getting a bunch of first day picks.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:08 am

HEROHAMO wrote:The Bears trade would not help us. We lose so many slots to drop to 31. We also already have solid linebackers.

We offer Detroit our no.6 pick with maybe Marshall and Springs or next years second round pick. We then Draft C. Johnson at no. 2.

You'd give a LB, CB, and the #6 pick to add a WR :shock:
Wasn't the defense the problem last year? Main contributors being injuries
guys like Springs, and Marshall.

HEROHAMO wrote:We offer C Johnson to maybe Tampa Bay they should throw the house at us.
Or any other team willing to throw us at least three to four 1st day picks.

The key is to aquire C Johnson. Then the rest of the teams will throw us a bunch of picks for him. He is the most highly coveted prize in this draft. Trust me this is the key to us getting a bunch of first day picks.


Trade up to draft a player so we can trade that player for more picks seem a lot more risky than just trading down, but we need to get more picks one way or another.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

|||
Posts: 4306
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:34 am
Location: SANTA ANA,CA

Postby HEROHAMO » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:34 am

1niksder wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:The Bears trade would not help us. We lose so many slots to drop to 31. We also already have solid linebackers.

We offer Detroit our no.6 pick with maybe Marshall and Springs or next years second round pick. We then Draft C. Johnson at no. 2.

You'd give a LB, CB, and the #6 pick to add a WR :shock:
Wasn't the defense the problem last year? Main contributors being injuries
guys like Springs, and Marshall.

HEROHAMO wrote:We offer C Johnson to maybe Tampa Bay they should throw the house at us.
Or any other team willing to throw us at least three to four 1st day picks.

The key is to aquire C Johnson. Then the rest of the teams will throw us a bunch of picks for him. He is the most highly coveted prize in this draft. Trust me this is the key to us getting a bunch of first day picks.


Trade up to draft a player so we can trade that player for more picks seem a lot more risky than just trading down, but we need to get more picks one way or another.
Well I am pretty sure Adrian Peterson will be taken by the Browns. Jamarcus Russell should be going no. 1. Detroit if they stay at no. 2 is expected to take Quinn or the Tackle from Wisconsin. Then Tampa at no. 4 is expected to take Calvin Johnson. Then no. 5 Arizona will take the Tackle out of Wisconsin if Detroit didnt pick him up.

At no. 6 I just dont see who will be available. Maybe Quinn will drop to no. 6. But Quinn isnt that great and I dont see alot of teams drueling over the guy.

I hope Adrian Peterson drops to no. 6 or even Quinn. I dont see Peterson getting past the Browns. His pro day was outstanding. Quinn may drop to no. 6 I just dont have a good feeling about alot of teams wanting this guy. I hope so but I really dont have a good feeling about it.

Which is why I think we should make a move to trade up to no. 2 and aquire Calvin Johnson or Jamarcus Russell, depending on what the Raiders do. Then we can use the player as trade bait to aquire a bunch of first day picks.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

|||
Posts: 4306
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:34 am
Location: SANTA ANA,CA

Postby HEROHAMO » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:21 am

THe most beautiful scenerio. It goes like this.

we offer detroit lets say our no. 6 pick and next years first and third round pick. Dont worry Next year I would wheel and deal again and regain those picks anyway. We then aquire the no. 2 pick.


we draft Calvin Johnson. NOw Cleveland is on the Clock. We offer
Calvin Johnson to both Tampa Bay and Atlanta.

Both Tampa Bay and atlanta have a top ten pick and two second round picks.
I offer Calvin Johnson to both of these teams. Here are the terms we give C. Johnson for your first round pick and both your second round picks.

If deal goes through with lets say Atlanta. We then have the no. 8 pick, 39, and 44th pick.

With no. 8 pick we can trade this pick down. I would then offer Green Bay no. 8 pick for there spot and there second round pick. Also Offer New England our no. 8 for both there first round picks.

Bam lets say Green Bay takes the offer. Bam we now have no 15,39,44 and 47th pick.

At no. 15 we could entertain offers of trading down with this pick as well. At this point I think we draft best DE on the Board.

with the four picks I select DE, FS, DE, DT.

Booya four picks all from our no. 6. Oh it wont play out like this exactly but it could play out to a similar effect. If only Vinny Cerratto had a brain like mine we our Skins would be in such good hands. 8)
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Fire in the Sky
Posts: 4729
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:31 am
Location: Surfside

Postby SkinsFreak » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:19 am

Yes, it would be great to have about 8-10 draft picks or so, as I keep hearing everyone say. But I'd really like to know; how many of those picks would actually make the final 53-man roster and who would they cut to make room for all those rookies? This is something I think some folks fail to take into consideration. There simply won't be room for all those guys.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010