You are the Skins new GM, what is YOUR next move?

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.

As the new Skins GM, what is your move?

Keep the #6 and draft Gaines Adams
10%
Keep the #6 and draft Jamal Anderson
2%
Keep the #6 and draft Okoye
12%
Keep the #6 and draft Branch
No votes
Trade down just a few spots, still get a top 12 guy
36%
Trade down to bottom of 1st rd, acquire more picks
10%
Trade #6 for #31 and Briggs plus sign him to big $$$
5%
Trade #6 for Pats #24 or #28 and Asante Samuel
5%
Trade #6 plus Springs or 2008 picks for Detroits #2 (Calvin Johnson)
10%
None of the above, will elaborate in my post
12%

Total votes : 42
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:22 am

The latest rumor has the Lions sending the #21st pick along with their #34th pick and the #s 66th and 70th picks to Washington for the Skins #6 and #143rd (5th rd.). This would happen if the Faiders go QB, Denver would give the 21st, 56th, and 70th this year and next years no.1 to Det. for the #2 and they'll pick Johnson.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby fleetus » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:00 pm

1niksder wrote:The latest rumor has the Lions sending the #21st pick along with their #34th pick and the #s 66th and 70th picks to Washington for the Skins #6 and #143rd (5th rd.). This would happen if the Faiders go QB, Denver would give the 21st, 56th, and 70th this year and next years no.1 to Det. for the #2 and they'll pick Johnson.

So what are the Skins getting out of this?

If I were Detroit, I'd stick with trading down to #4 and drafting Joe Thomas.
Build through the draft!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:05 pm

fleetus wrote:
1niksder wrote:The latest rumor has the Lions sending the #21st pick along with their #34th pick and the #s 66th and 70th picks to Washington for the Skins #6 and #143rd (5th rd.). This would happen if the Faiders go QB, Denver would give the 21st, 56th, and 70th this year and next years no.1 to Det. for the #2 and they'll pick Johnson.

I realize we get a 2nd and 2 3rds to drop from 6 to 21, but that's a long way to drop in the first round to get it. I'm of a mind that you take premier players and build around them to go to Super Bowls, not a bunch of adequate ones. I'd like to trade down in the top 10 and take a DL, but not to 21.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

mursilis

Postby Mursilis » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:36 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
fleetus wrote:

I realize we get a 2nd and 2 3rds to drop from 6 to 21, but that's a long way to drop in the first round to get it. I'm of a mind that you take premier players and build around them to go to Super Bowls, not a bunch of adequate ones. I'd like to trade down in the top 10 and take a DL, but not to 21.

I don't know - New England has been pretty successful without a bunch of 'superstars'. I'd argue only Tom Brady qualifies as a superstar on that team, and the rest of those guys are merely pretty good. I'd be very tempted to drop from 6 to 21 for a 2, and 2 3s. That's of course assuming you have enough faith in the personnel department to find some good prospects to spend those picks on.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:42 pm

Giibs won three SB with a bunch of good players and just a few great players. Right now he has the few great players, but he doesn't have the group of good players behind them.

I'll put it another way. He has about the same amount of grade A players, but he is real thin right now at the grade B type players. This team could really use a late firat round pick, a second and 2 high thirds more than it could use a top ten pick! We have enough play makers we just need a bunch of very good play stoppers. Lets face it we need two starting DL, a starting safety, a CB, a starting guard, some more depth at OL, and depth at TE and WR.

I would use those four first day picks on two DL and any combo of OG, S, CB, WR, or TE.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:43 pm

Mursilis wrote:I don't know - New England has been pretty successful without a bunch of 'superstars'. I'd argue only Tom Brady qualifies as a superstar on that team, and the rest of those guys are merely pretty good. I'd be very tempted to drop from 6 to 21 for a 2, and 2 3s. That's of course assuming you have enough faith in the personnel department to find some good prospects to spend those picks on.

We should do the trade because of New England?
Last edited by KazooSkinsFan on Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

mursilis

Postby Mursilis » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:46 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Mursilis wrote:I don't know - New England has been pretty successful without a bunch of 'superstars'. I'd argue only Tom Brady qualifies as a superstar on that team, and the rest of those guys are merely pretty good. I'd be very tempted to drop from 6 to 21 for a 2, and 2 3s. That's of course assuming you have enough faith in the personnel department to find some good prospects to spend those picks on.

:roll: Uh, sure. That's exactly what I'm thinking. Thanks for your thoughtful response. :roll:

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:47 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:

I agree with the both of you, but I would add that Seymour, Dick is a superstar (and funny written that way!)
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:52 pm

Mursilis wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

:roll: Uh, sure. That's exactly what I'm thinking. Thanks for your thoughtful response. :roll:

Funny, my thoughts exactly on your post. The Patriots are GODS!!!!! Once again a chance to bring that up. There are 31 incompetent teams, one saintly one that never errs. All discussions would address what the Patriots would do.

Got it.

mursilis

Postby Mursilis » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:55 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:Giibs won three SB with a bunch of good players and just a few great players. Right now he has the few great players, but he doesn't have the group of good players behind them.

I'll put it another way. He has about the same amount of grade A players, but he is real thin right now at the grade B type players. This team could really use a late firat round pick, a second and 2 high thirds more than it could use a top ten pick! We have enough play makers we just need a bunch of very good play stoppers. Lets face it we need two starting DL, a starting safety, a CB, a starting guard, some more depth at OL, and depth at TE and WR.

I would use those four first day picks on two DL and any combo of OG, S, CB, WR, or TE.

Exactly right. Lots of Grade A players are wasted surrounded by Grade D teammates, and never win a Super Bowl. Barry Sanders comes to mind.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:00 pm

Mursilis wrote:I would use those four first day picks on two DL and any combo of OG, S, CB, WR, or TE.

Exactly right. Lots of Grade A players are wasted surrounded by Grade D teammates, and never win a Super Bowl. Barry Sanders comes to mind.[/quote]

If the only knowledge you can post about the Lions is implying trades like this would have fixed the issue with Barry Sanders being their only "star" then this conversation just got way to pedestrian for me.

Postby rustedrootdown » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:35 pm

I put a huge madden type post on here last night but truthfully If we could simply trade are first to New England for their two first's or to Atlanta for their 1st and 2nd we could get two good starters for our defense something like:

New England

Pick 1: Jarvis Moss
Pick 2: Aroun Rouse

Atlanta

Pick 1: Okoyie
Pick 2: A saftey or DE

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010