You are the Skins new GM, what is YOUR next move?

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.

As the new Skins GM, what is your move?

Keep the #6 and draft Gaines Adams
10%
Keep the #6 and draft Jamal Anderson
2%
Keep the #6 and draft Okoye
12%
Keep the #6 and draft Branch
No votes
Trade down just a few spots, still get a top 12 guy
36%
Trade down to bottom of 1st rd, acquire more picks
10%
Trade #6 for #31 and Briggs plus sign him to big $$$
5%
Trade #6 for Pats #24 or #28 and Asante Samuel
5%
Trade #6 plus Springs or 2008 picks for Detroits #2 (Calvin Johnson)
10%
None of the above, will elaborate in my post
12%

Total votes : 42
Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:04 am

HEROHAMO wrote:Oh yeah I forgot to mention one more signing I would also resign Lavar Arrington under the Vet minimum and give him a incentive based contract. Also have him rehab and have him back by mid season.

There's no such thing as a veteran minimum contract with incentives.

If you want to receive the cap relief of a vet minimum contract, then ALL that can be on the contract is one year's minimum salary, and up to a $40,000 bonus.

The moment you try to add an incentive, it no longer qualifies as a 'vet minimum' contract that would qualify for cap relief.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:55 pm

BossHog wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:Oh yeah I forgot to mention one more signing I would also resign Lavar Arrington under the Vet minimum and give him a incentive based contract. Also have him rehab and have him back by mid season.

There's no such thing as a veteran minimum contract with incentives.

If you want to receive the cap relief of a vet minimum contract, then ALL that can be on the contract is one year's minimum salary, and up to a $40,000 bonus.

The moment you try to add an incentive, it no longer qualifies as a 'vet minimum' contract that would qualify for cap relief.
OK I just give him the Vet minimum. I also shove him some money under the table cough...cough... 8)
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:28 am

air_hog wrote:1) I fire Vinny Cerrato

2) I sign ST and Cooley to long term deals right now so they don't become a problem in the future.

3) I shop around the 6th Pick, but knowing there is absolutely no value at that pick, I don't get my hopes up unless Calvin Johnson or Adrian Peterson slip on Draft day (which won't happen in CJ's case)

4) With the 6th Pick in the NFL Draft I select Amobi Okoye, take the criticism that we drafted him too high, and watch as in 2 years he becomes the most dominating defensive player in the 2007 NFL draft.

You were doing so well at the top two items that the the bottom two just look, well ... :roll:
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Hog

Postby fleetus » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:46 am

HEROHAMO wrote:I cannot see that coming together, I'm sorry
Ok Like I said. As of right now I am looking to move Marshall For a 1st Second or third round pick.

If not next Move is to try and trade spots with Detroit by offering our no.6 and Springs,or Marshall.

Right now as a GM I am trying to aquire extra picks for Marshall. Dangling the bait out there to see if there are any takers. If not then oh well. You get it you got to at least try and see what you can get. No where did I say that it would be guaranteed. I just said I would test the waters and see what we could get for Marshall.

Right now San Diegos back up running back is a hot commoditie. I might offer them Marshall for Michael Turner. If we aquire Michael Turner I offer him for a first round pick.

RIght now San Diego lost there middle linebacker to the chiefs. They need a good MLB. They might give up a second round pick or third round pick.

Get the picture. I am making moves not sitting on my a$$. Dangling the bait out there trying to make something happen. If it happens it will help us. IF not oh well keep moving on.[/quote]

I don't think anyone values Marshall higher than we do because he is a Gregg Williams system guy. I doubt any other team is going to offer more than a 3rd round pick, more likely a 4th or 5th. Michael Turner is gonna bring a 1st round pick and possibly more. San Diego is not going to entertain a trade offer for their young stud RB only to get an undersized 31 yr. old LB. IMO.
Build through the draft!

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:03 pm

fleetus wrote:I don't think anyone values Marshall higher than we do because he is a Gregg Williams system guy. I doubt any other team is going to offer more than a 3rd round pick, more likely a 4th or 5th. Michael Turner is gonna bring a 1st round pick and possibly more. San Diego is not going to entertain a trade offer for their young stud RB only to get an undersized 31 yr. old LB. IMO.

Yeah. Marshall has extremely limited value imho.

~~~~~~~~~~

Postby air_hog » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:25 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:
air_hog wrote:1) I fire Vinny Cerrato

2) I sign ST and Cooley to long term deals right now so they don't become a problem in the future.

3) I shop around the 6th Pick, but knowing there is absolutely no value at that pick, I don't get my hopes up unless Calvin Johnson or Adrian Peterson slip on Draft day (which won't happen in CJ's case)

4) With the 6th Pick in the NFL Draft I select Amobi Okoye, take the criticism that we drafted him too high, and watch as in 2 years he becomes the most dominating defensive player in the 2007 NFL draft.

You were doing so well at the top two items that the the bottom two just look, well ... :roll:

What, what's wrong with shopping the 6th Pick around, do you want to keep it and have just 1 frist day pick?

And what's your beef with Okoye?
joebagadonuts on IsaneBoost's signature:
-- "I laughed. I cried. Better than Cats"

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:25 pm

air_hog wrote:What, what's wrong with shopping the 6th Pick around, do you want to keep it and have just 1 frist day pick?

1) Everybody is expecting us to give it away for cheap.

2) Nothing. He is one of the top 2 DTs in the draft and likely to be gone by the 6th pick if he goes ahead as the number 1 DT. But -even- if he is there, the Skins will not pick him.

BUT if we trade down and he is still availbale, well, that is another story. :wink:
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:41 pm

PulpExposure wrote:
fleetus wrote:I don't think anyone values Marshall higher than we do because he is a Gregg Williams system guy. I doubt any other team is going to offer more than a 3rd round pick, more likely a 4th or 5th. Michael Turner is gonna bring a 1st round pick and possibly more. San Diego is not going to entertain a trade offer for their young stud RB only to get an undersized 31 yr. old LB. IMO.

Yeah. Marshall has extremely limited value imho.
True. You are right. But that doesnt mean we shouldnt throw the bait out there and see what teams have to offer.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

~~~~~~~~~~

Postby air_hog » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:35 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:
air_hog wrote:What, what's wrong with shopping the 6th Pick around, do you want to keep it and have just 1 frist day pick?

1) Everybody is expecting us to give it away for cheap.

2) Nothing. He is one of the top 2 DTs in the draft and likely to be gone by the 6th pick if he goes ahead as the number 1 DT. But -even- if he is there, the Skins will not pick him.

BUT if we trade down and he is still availbale, well, that is another story. :wink:

Well, 1) The reason everyone is expecting us to give it away for cheap is because A) C'mon it's the Redskins FO here.

and B) Because really there is no value at our pick like I said, unless a top tier guys slides to us. I mean, no team is going to give an arm and a leg to trade up for Jamaal Anderson. Besides the absolute top 3-4 guys, there is no one player worth trading up for.

And I don't know why you think the Skins won't pick Okoye. Word is they are un-impressed with Adams + Branch's work ethics, and Okoye is known for his work ethic, not to mention he is an intelligent and young man. What's wrong with that?
joebagadonuts on IsaneBoost's signature:
-- "I laughed. I cried. Better than Cats"

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:04 pm

Let me reverse the order of your own words to answer your own question:

air_hog wrote:Okoye is known for his work ethic, not to mention he is an intelligent and young man. What's wrong with that?

air_hog wrote: A) C'mon it's the Redskins FO here.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:03 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:First off I am looking to move Marshall. Whomever team is willing to give up a first round pick or 2,3 round pick I make the move.

2nd Offer Detroit,Springs and Number six for there no. 2 pick.

With the Number 2 pick I pick up Calvin Johnson.

With Calvin Johnson I offer Tampa Bay a deal in which we trade Johnson and get a second and maybe a third,fourth,fifth,sixth or even a seventh round pick.

Tampa mostly likely gives up there spot and give us a second and third round pick.

With no. 4 pick I take Laron Landry.

With Tampas second Round pick we aquired I take Jarvis Moss.

With the other second round pick aquired for Marshall deal I take Quentin Moses from Georgia he should be available in second round.

Overall goal for draft- Laron Landry, DE,DE or Laron Landry DE,DT

Look out... I think the Bucs are trying to cut you out of the deal,

Bucs trading up?
<Apr. 9> The Bucs appear to be leaning toward trading up to the No. 2 pick to get Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson, according to ESPN.com's John Clayton. That is why they are trying to do everything possible to make sure the Raiders draft JaMarcus Russell at No. 1. If the Raiders trade for the Lions' Josh McCown, which has been rumored, they might not feel a sense of urgency to draft a quarterback.
The Bucs are keeping in touch with the Lions, who hold the No. 2 pick, about keeping the trade door open. With an extra second-round pick thanks to the Anthony McFarland trade last season, the Bucs have the ammunition to get the player they want.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

||||

Postby Redskins Rule » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:39 am

I say keep the pick and draft Jamaal Anderson. I watched alot of Arkansas games last year and I'd be shocked if Jamaal turnes out to be a bust.

I must admit that I never did see Gaines Adams play, but when I heard that the Redskins Front Office weren't interested in overpaying for him............well, that told me something! :)

Seriously, Jamaal has the speed and the strength to be our best defensive end and while it would be a great addition to draft Branch or Okoye we are getting old and weak at our defensive end spot. Philip Daniels is very good when he's healthy and Wynn is too, but their age is showing out there on the field. At the defensive tackle position we have young Golston and a prospect in Montgomery. And of course Griffin who is good even when he's playing hurt. We just don't have that at our defensive end position and this years draft has quite a few good defensive ends to choose from............and the Redskins Front Office better overpay for the best one! I'll be pissed if they screw this up!!!
Redskins Rule!!!

DUMP SI!!!

||||

Postby Redskins Rule » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:44 am

1niksder wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:First off I am looking to move Marshall. Whomever team is willing to give up a first round pick or 2,3 round pick I make the move.

2nd Offer Detroit,Springs and Number six for there no. 2 pick.

With the Number 2 pick I pick up Calvin Johnson.

With Calvin Johnson I offer Tampa Bay a deal in which we trade Johnson and get a second and maybe a third,fourth,fifth,sixth or even a seventh round pick.

Tampa mostly likely gives up there spot and give us a second and third round pick.

With no. 4 pick I take Laron Landry.

With Tampas second Round pick we aquired I take Jarvis Moss.

With the other second round pick aquired for Marshall deal I take Quentin Moses from Georgia he should be available in second round.

Overall goal for draft- Laron Landry, DE,DE or Laron Landry DE,DT

Look out... I think the Bucs are trying to cut you out of the deal,

Bucs trading up?
<Apr. 9> The Bucs appear to be leaning toward trading up to the No. 2 pick to get Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson, according to ESPN.com's John Clayton. That is why they are trying to do everything possible to make sure the Raiders draft JaMarcus Russell at No. 1. If the Raiders trade for the Lions' Josh McCown, which has been rumored, they might not feel a sense of urgency to draft a quarterback.
The Bucs are keeping in touch with the Lions, who hold the No. 2 pick, about keeping the trade door open. With an extra second-round pick thanks to the Anthony McFarland trade last season, the Bucs have the ammunition to get the player they want.

:lol:

Looks like the Lions have now earned a reputation for choosing the best wide reciever in every draft! Fifty Bucks says that Calvin Johnson's agent paid John Clayton to say that with hopes that his client will get taken sooner.........and of course get paid more.
Redskins Rule!!!

DUMP SI!!!

Hog

Postby fleetus » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:49 am

I think the Raiders really want to draft Calvin Johnson, but they know Russell is the most valuable to other teams. So if anyone is going to pay to trade up to #1, it will most likely be for Russell. I see a possible shake up, where Detroit trades McCown to the Raiders. Raiders select Johnson #1. Lions stay at #2 and take Russell. Browns take Peterson. Tampa takes Gaines Adams. Cardinals select Joe Thomas. AND WE TAKE OKOYE (or Jamaal Anderson). Both of which I think are great picks at #6.

I also see the Raiders and Packers pulling the trigger on a draft day trade to send Randy Moss for draft picks.
Build through the draft!

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:05 am

I'd said before that Millen would have to be an idiot not to take Joe Thomas but the Lions have made some moves to sort-of address their AWWWWWWWWWWFUL offensive line so he probably feels he can go elsewhere.
RIP Sean Taylor

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010