You are the Skins new GM, what is YOUR next move?

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.

As the new Skins GM, what is your move?

Keep the #6 and draft Gaines Adams
10%
Keep the #6 and draft Jamal Anderson
2%
Keep the #6 and draft Okoye
12%
Keep the #6 and draft Branch
No votes
Trade down just a few spots, still get a top 12 guy
36%
Trade down to bottom of 1st rd, acquire more picks
10%
Trade #6 for #31 and Briggs plus sign him to big $$$
5%
Trade #6 for Pats #24 or #28 and Asante Samuel
5%
Trade #6 plus Springs or 2008 picks for Detroits #2 (Calvin Johnson)
10%
None of the above, will elaborate in my post
12%

Total votes : 42
|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:07 am

SkinsFreak wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:There is no reason why we cant trade down. Many teams in the NfL. Thus many oppurtunities. I say Seize the moment.

Rather then me explaining all the reasons why the Skins have little control over other teams trading up, as many of us already have, perhaps in a subsequent post we could hear some examples of how the Skins could force another team to trade up? The fact is that over the past several years, these types of trades are few and far between.

From another thread:

Fios wrote:
Agreed, the Redskins ability to trade down is contingent on the decisions of the five teams picking ahead of them. Millen seems to think he's addressed the Lions offensive line woes, that doesn't bode well for the Redskins' chances of trading down. If Peterson, Quinn or Thomas should drop to the sixth slot, the Redskins can slide down. (I'm not even entertaining the notion that Johnson will still be there.) If those guys all go beforehand, the Redskins will probably be picking sixth. And even if they do pix sixth, they will be picking to address a problem area, that can't be qualified as a failure. I honestly thought the Redskins were going to be able to drop but I'm pessimistic about it now.

This article by our beloved Peter King details why trading down is almost impossible now.

Some highlights:

Quote:
Myth of the Month: If a team near the top of the first round of the NFL Draft wants to trade down, it can get a ransom for the pick.

Reality of the Month: In the last two NFL Drafts, no team with a top-10 pick in the first round has traded down for said ransom. In fact, the last two drafts have yielded only one trade with a team in the top 10, but it wasn't a trade-down. It was the Raiders trading the seventh overall pick plus linebacker Napoleon Harris for Randy Moss in 2005; Minnesota chose wideout Troy Williamson with that pick. (Talk about a trade that hurt both teams.)

Quote:
Making an error by trading up can hurt a team's salary-cap situation and future drafts more than ever. Say a team trades up to the third pick in the draft this year, nabs Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn and guarantees him $20 million -- which is about the amount of guaranteed money the No. 3 overall pick will get. And imagine if Quinn is awful. Contracts can be written with different cap impacts, but suffice it to say, the big guarantee is going to be a Ryan Leaf-type weight on your franchise if Quinn has to be cut after three years at the cost of a $10 million cap hit. Never mind losing the picks it took to get Quinn in the first place. It used to be, when the guarantees were one-third of what they are now, that teams wouldn't fear the cap hit so much. "The cash mistake is bad enough when you blow a high pick,'' Peterson said. "But the cap mistake is worse. And then missing out on the future picks just compounds it.''

Quote:
"What's so interesting about the draft,'' said Peterson, "is that the risk-reward ratio is so much different between the top 10 and the picks you make as you go lower in the draft. You find out how hard it is to say good-bye to players in the top 10 of a draft. That's why you don't see the trades you used to see.''

Peterson is Karl Peterson, President of the KC Chiefs.

This is very common sense; you guarentee SO much money to the top picks, they almost have to pan out. And one thing we know about the draft...it's a giant crapshoot.

:wink: Hope that helps!

HEROHAMO wrote:Fellas its time to start demanding more from our front office.

I hear ya! In your opinion, how should we go about that?
First off this Vinny C. Fella has no real say. He is just a puppett having his strings pulled by D. Snyder.

Bringing Gibbs back was certainly a good move.

We really need to get a Jerry West type team President.

I can say this much if Jerry West were our team president he could make a trade down happen. I guarantee it.

So I say this. Nothing is impossible right? So why not make it happen.

My main point. We should really key in on trading up to number 2.
Even if we have to give away Marshall, Springs,our no.6 and next years first pick.

At no.2 we will either have a shot at Russell or C. Johnson.

IF Johnson is available there are a number of teams who will give up alot for C.J.

With 32 teams in the league. That means we have 31 teams who we can potentially make a deal with.

1.Tampa Bay
I offer tampa Bay C.J. for there no.4 pick, and both there second round picks and theyre third round pick.
2. Atlanta
Everyone knows Atlanta really needs a WR. I offer Atlanta same deal, trade spots in first round, and both there second round picks, and there third round pick.
3. Green Bay
Farve really needs another wideout along side Donald Driver.
I offer Green Bay to trade spots in the first and there 2nd,3rd and next years first round pick.
4. New England
I offer New England C.J. for both there first round picks and theyre second round pick.
5. ???

Lets say Tampa counter offers there no.4 pick and just both there second round picks.

With the no. 4 pick I take Laron Landry, the second round picks will go to DE,DT.

Or with no.4 pick I take Gaines Adams, Second Round pick Merriwheter, other second round pick DT.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby fleetus » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:17 am

I disagree about trading up to #2. I see your logic. CJ and Russell are the top 2 most coveted players. For that very reason though, the price required to trade up will be high. Just for arguments sake, lets say we can strike a deal like you propose:

#6, 2008 1st rd, Marshall and Springs for #2

A few things will result, IMO.

Our CB situation will be below average without Springs. Losing Springs will affect our wins column more than what CJ will provide us a #2 rookie WR.

If we use the #2 to trade down, I'm not sure we'll get all of that value back. I mean, if Detroit's best trade partner is US, then how are we going to find a significantly better deal to trade down from #2???

Maybe most importantly, we would YET AGAIN, be mortgaging future draft picks. We've been playing this credit card game for a few yeaqrs where we gamble future picks away to try and find the "missing piece" for this season. I think we've proven that in these gambles, the HOUSE usually wins. We need to keep our picks and develop some of our own talent. The few draft picks we have kept are not so bad:

Sean Taylor
Chris Cooley
Ladell Betts
Jason Campbell
Kedrick Golston
Rocky McIntosh TBD
Carlos Rogers TBD

as opposed to the players we've traded draft picks for:

TJ Duckett
Brandon Lloyd
Portis
Brunell
Laverneas Coles
Chad Morton

out of that group, would say Portis is the lone success. Some could argue that if we'd kept Bailey instead of trading him away plus our 2nd round pick, that Betts would have developed into a fine starting RB. With the 2nd round pick we sent to Denver, they drafted Tatum Bell. So which would you rather have? Tatum Bell/Betts AND Bailey OR Portis/Betts?

Anyway, hindsight is 20/20. Just trying to point out that these gambles seem to be somewhat low percentage successes. The draft allows you to pay less for a player initially, groom them into your system, putting them in backup roles for depth and allow them to PROVE their worth to you BEFORE paying them a ransom.

Not saying a trade up cannot work. Just that it would be very tricky to get proper value out of it.
Build through the draft!

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:07 am

fleetus wrote:If we use the #2 to trade down, I'm not sure we'll get all of that value back. I mean, if Detroit's best trade partner is US, then how are we going to find a significantly better deal to trade down from #2???

HEROHAMO is going by the philosophy that we'll somehow get a better deal out of the #2 pick than Detroit will. Even taking into account what we give up to move up to that point.

That, my friend, is called fantasy.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:02 pm

PulpExposure wrote:
fleetus wrote:If we use the #2 to trade down, I'm not sure we'll get all of that value back. I mean, if Detroit's best trade partner is US, then how are we going to find a significantly better deal to trade down from #2???

HEROHAMO is going by the philosophy that we'll somehow get a better deal out of the #2 pick than Detroit will. Even taking into account what we give up to move up to that point.

That, my friend, is called fantasy.
We are talking about Matt Millen! He has the potential to pull of a dumb move at any time.

I am saying make the offer. Heck make the offer to Oakland as well.

Who knows they might say yes? Instead of assuming what will not work.

All I am saying is make the offer. I would be happy if we made the offer and the team declined at least I know that we are exploring every possibility. There is nothing unrealistic about it.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:11 pm

fleetus wrote:I disagree about trading up to #2. I see your logic. CJ and Russell are the top 2 most coveted players. For that very reason though, the price required to trade up will be high. Just for arguments sake, lets say we can strike a deal like you propose:

Our CB situation will be below average without Springs. Losing Springs will affect our wins column more than what CJ will provide us a #2 rookie WR.

If we use the #2 to trade down, I'm not sure we'll get all of that value back. I mean, if Detroit's best trade partner is US, then how are we going to find a significantly better deal to trade down from #2???

Maybe most importantly, we would YET AGAIN, be mortgaging future draft picks. We've been playing this credit card game for a few yeaqrs where we gamble future picks away to try and find the "missing piece" for this season. I think we've proven that in these gambles, the HOUSE usually wins. We need to keep our picks and develop some of our own talent. The few draft picks we have kept are not so bad:

Sean Taylor
Chris Cooley
Ladell Betts
Jason Campbell
Kedrick Golston
Rocky McIntosh TBD
Carlos Rogers TBD

TJ Duckett
Brandon Lloyd
Portis
Brunell
Laverneas Coles
Chad Morton

out of that group, would say Portis is the lone success. Some could argue that if we'd kept Bailey instead of trading him away plus our 2nd round pick, that Betts would have developed into a fine starting RB. With the 2nd round pick we sent to Denver, they drafted Tatum Bell. So which would you rather have? Tatum Bell/Betts AND Bailey OR Portis/Betts?

Anyway, hindsight is 20/20. Just trying to point out that these gambles seem to be somewhat low percentage successes. The draft allows you to pay less for a player initially, groom them into your system, putting them in backup roles for depth and allow them to PROVE their worth to you BEFORE paying them a ransom.

Not saying a trade up cannot work. Just that it would be very tricky to get proper value out of it.
You make very valid points. In which make perfect sense.

The thing is we where trading away draft picks for overhyped players.

This time we are trading away two older players and two draft picks, for other draft picks.

Lets say we aquire the no.2, I guarantee Atlanta would be drooling at the oppurtunity to get there hands on Calvin J.

I am positive they would trade spots and give up both there second rounders.

Or at the least there first round, then one of there second round picks and a third round pick. That would still be worth the trade.

We could pick up 3 very solid starters on our defense.

All we need to solidy the Dline would be two solid players.

Also drafting Landry with the first pick would solidy our Secondary.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:11 pm

fleetus wrote:I disagree about trading up to #2. I see your logic. CJ and Russell are the top 2 most coveted players. For that very reason though, the price required to trade up will be high. Just for arguments sake, lets say we can strike a deal like you propose:

Sean Taylor
Chris Cooley
Ladell Betts
Jason Campbell
Kedrick Golston
Rocky McIntosh TBD
Carlos Rogers TBD

TJ Duckett
Brandon Lloyd
Portis
Brunell
Laverneas Coles
Chad Morton

You make very valid points. In which make perfect sense.

The thing is we where trading away draft picks for overhyped players.

This time we are trading away two older players and two draft picks, for other draft picks.

Lets say we aquire the no.2, I guarantee Atlanta would be drooling at the oppurtunity to get there hands on Calvin J.

I am positive they would trade spots and give up both there second rounders.

Or at the least there first round, then one of there second round picks and a third round pick. That would still be worth the trade.

We could pick up 3 very solid starters on our defense.

All we need to solidy the Dline would be two solid players. The third pick would go to a SS/FS.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:48 pm

1niksder wrote:I'd trade down while the Cards were on the Clock, would trade out of the top 13 but not below #19. That would allow for more picks (550-775 pts. worth), the trading partner would depend on who's available and which teams have a need. trading down to 10-12 wouldn't get a second rounder and that's what I'd be after. Wouldn't want to go below 19 because then other NFC East team will pick before us. Wouldn't mind picking up a 3rd round also, trading down again would be a option if it invovled another second rounder and a 3rd for the swap. Not likely but that would be my goal. Would do anything until draft day though.

Now I might want out of the first round all together :shock:. So I'll call the the team that's doing the opposite of what it normally does (not the Skins) New England would have to give up A.) their early 1st rd. a 4th and the same thing next year, B.) their 2nd #1 a third rounder and next years 1st and 2nd. I don't think they'll go for that so I'll offer the 6th pick our 5th rounder (#143rd) and Springs for both their 1st rd picks (#24th & #28th) their 4th rounder (#127th) plus Asanti Samuels.

Send the #28th pick to Oakland for Burgess and a their late 3rd (#99), send that pick and the other 1st to the Bucs for both of the second round picks (#35 & #64), send the late #2 to Carolina for Jenkins, and take the best player available at #35
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:26 am

1niksder wrote:
1niksder wrote:I'd trade down while the Cards were on the Clock, would trade out of the top 13 but not below #19. That would allow for more picks (550-775 pts. worth), the trading partner would depend on who's available and which teams have a need. trading down to 10-12 wouldn't get a second rounder and that's what I'd be after. Wouldn't want to go below 19 because then other NFC East team will pick before us. Wouldn't mind picking up a 3rd round also, trading down again would be a option if it invovled another second rounder and a 3rd for the swap. Not likely but that would be my goal. Would do anything until draft day though.

Now I might want out of the first round all together :shock:. So I'll call the the team that's doing the opposite of what it normally does (not the Skins) New England would have to give up A.) their early 1st rd. a 4th and the same thing next year, B.) their 2nd #1 a third rounder and next years 1st and 2nd. I don't think they'll go for that so I'll offer the 6th pick our 5th rounder (#143rd) and Springs for both their 1st rd picks (#24th & #28th) their 4th rounder (#127th) plus Asanti Samuels.

Send the #28th pick to Oakland for Burgess and a their late 3rd (#99), send that pick and the other 1st to the Bucs for both of the second round picks (#35 & #64), send the late #2 to Carolina for Jenkins, and take the best player available at #35
:-k hummm...

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:58 am

1niksder wrote:

Madden football trade aside, let me ask you this.

Can we afford to take the cap hit from trading Springs, and taking on Samuels (and giving him the monster contract he wants) and Jenkins, who sits on a 4.5 mill salcap number?

I kind of doubt it.

Hog

Postby John Manfreda » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:09 pm

trade down and draft Adam Carriker, I watched Nebraska play this year and that boy can play.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:32 pm

PulpExposure wrote:
1niksder wrote:

Madden football trade aside, let me ask you this.

Can we afford to take the cap hit from trading Springs, and taking on Samuels (and giving him the monster contract he wants) and Jenkins, who sits on a 4.5 mill salcap number?

I kind of doubt it.

Springs hit would be the same $7M plus that he'll cost if he's here and gets hurt again. Jenkins and Burgess together would run about $4-$4.5M max the first year that would mean cutting Wynn and Collins, Samuels would run about $3M the first year. There are plenty of contracts that can/will be restructured in the coming weeks and the rookie pool would be smaller.

I can come up with all kinds of ways to fit them under the cap, ALL of them even if we kept Springs and also got Briggs :shock: I doubt the Skins couldn't free up even more space in a lot less time .

BTW: This came out earlier today...

BUCS-LIONS WORKING ON A DEAL

Our friends at WDAE in Tampa have tipped us off to a rumor that we're in the process of confirming that the Lions have traded the No. 2 overall pick in the 2007 draft to the Buccaneers for the No. 4 overall pick and defensive end Simeon Rice.

A league source tells us that, while there is not a done deal, the talks are occurring regarding a flip-flop of No. 2 and No. 4. It's not presently clear whether Rice is part of the deal.

The Bucs presumably want to get in position to take receiver Calvin Johnson with the No. 2 selection, if the Raiders don't take Johnson with the No. 1.

The real intrigue on this one arises if the Raiders take Johnson. Would the Bucs then pick quarterback JaMarcus Russell or Brady Quinn? Or would they take left tackle Joe Thomas?

Recently, the Bucs conducted on-campus workouts with Johnson, Russell, and Quinn. They didn't include Thomas in the tour, and we've seen some evidence in the Tampa press of possible efforts by the team to bad-mouth Thomas, possibly in the hopes that he'll be available at No. 4.

It could be that the Lions are willing to make the deal to go down to No. 4 because they think they could still get Thomas at that spot. But if Johnson is the No. 1 pick, Thomas might be long gone by the time the Lions use the pick currently held by Tampa.

5 hours later:

BUCS-LIONS DEAL DEAD, FOR NOW

A source with knowledge of the situation tells us that the trade talks between the Lions and Buccaneers for a flip-flop of the No. 2 overall pick and the No. 4 overall pick are dead. For now.

But the source says that the Lions also are talking to the Redskins and Falcons about a possible trade of first-round, top-ten picks. And the Cardinals (we're told) contacted the Lions for the first time on Wednesday to discuss the spot.

The Redskins hold the No. 6 pick, the Falcons hold the No. 8 pick, and the Cardinals hold the No. 5 pick.

The source also says that the Lions are confused by the Redskins' interest in moving up, since Washington doesn't have many other 2007 picks to offer. In addition to the sixth overall selection, the 'Skins have a fifth-round pick, two sixth-round picks, and a seventh-round selection.

We're also told that the Lions prefer to make the trade before the draft. We recently heard that if no trade is accomplished before noon on April 28 and if receiver Calvin Johnson is available at No. 2, the Lions would select him and then trade his rights to the highest bidder. Apparently, the Lions have figured out that actually drafting Johnson and then sending him to someone else would open the organization up to plenty of criticism if Johnson becomes a superstar (especially in light of the team's past misadventures with top-ten receivers). It would be far better to get out of the No. 2 spot before the picks start to fly.

It's PFT, so take it for what it's worth although they have been on a roll lately.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:57 pm

There is an awful lot of gamesmanship going on - I still hope that we keep this pick until draft day and we see how things really fall - I would be surprised if some movement did not happen before draft day as well. There are a lot of very nervous GMs right now.

The worst thing that could happen IMO is that we have to make that pick - how bad could that be? We know that there are going to be a bunch of players "available" soon and who's to say that our talent guys cannot find 1 or 2 guys that might just work out better for us than they did wherever they were last year. I know they have not been very good at that but there is an old saying "in the woods" - "even a blind squirrel can find an acorn or 2" :lol:

The other thing I am worried about is that we have not given away any draft picks for 2008 and I hope we can at least keep all of those this year. We are trying to rebuild this team and it is not going to all happen in 1 year - we need to look further down the road.
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Hog

Postby fleetus » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:47 pm

Gotta believe the Lions would trade down to #4 rather than taking Joe Thomas or Brady Quinn at #2. Also gotta believe the Bucs would try very hard to trade up to get Calvin Johnson ar #2. I would bet money they had some discussions to get a feel for what the Lions would accept for compensation, then they will sit back and wait until 12:15 April 28th to make sure Oakland doesn't select Cj for themselves. Then they'll call Matt Millen and offer their deal. This has to happen. If it doesn't, both team will look dumb, IMO.

The Brown take Peterson (possibly Quinn), Lions take Joe Thomas (possibly Quinn), Cards take Gaines Adams (assuming Peterson is already gone) and we get to choose between trading down with someone who wants Quinn or selecting Okoye (or Jamaal Anderson).

I say we take Okoye. he's gonna be force next to C Grif! :D :D
Build through the draft!

My GM Moves

Postby rustedrootdown » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:49 pm

TRADE PORTIS

We should trade Portis, Marshal and Lloyd to Detroit for their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pics.

Then trade our second overall and Shawn Springs to New England for Samuels and their two first rounders.

Then we should draft as follows

1st Amobi Okoye
1st Jarvis Moss
1st Dwayne Jarret
2nd Aroun Rouse
3rd Brian Leonard

Our new roster would be as follows:

QB Jason Campbell
HB Ladell Betts/Brian Leonard (Who would convert to HB)
FB Mike Sellers
WR Santana Moss
WR Dwayne Jarret/Antwaan Randle El
TE Chris Cooley
LT Chris Samuels
LG Todd Wade
C Casey Rabach
RG Randy Thomas
RT Jon Jansen

LE Jarvis Moss
DT Amobi Okoye
DT Cornelious Griffin
RE Andre Carter
LLB Marcus Washington
MLB London Fletcher
RLB Rocky Mcintosh
CB Asante Samuel
SS Aroun Rouse
FS Sean Taylor
CB Fred Smoot

[/url]

---

Re: My GM Moves

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:44 am

rustedrootdown wrote:Then trade our second overall and Shawn Springs to New England for Samuels and their two first rounders. [/Madden Simulation]

FIXED :lol:
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010