TE Matt Spaeth

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1681
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:50 am
Location: Charlottesville, Va.

TE Matt Spaeth

Postby fleetus » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:19 am

Redskins supposedly interested in Spaeth if he falls into the later rounds where we have some picks. He's a big guy at 270 lbs. and would be a good addition, IMO.

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20070411-034449-2735r.htm
Build through the draft!

|||
Posts: 4309
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:34 am
Location: SANTA ANA,CA

Re: TE Matt Spaeth

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:56 pm

fleetus wrote:Redskins supposedly interested in Spaeth if he falls into the later rounds where we have some picks. He's a big guy at 270 lbs. and would be a good addition, IMO.

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20070411-034449-2735r.htm


Tight End is the last thing we need. We already have Cooley.

1. We only have a few picks in the draft. No 2nd,3rd,4th I think. That means we have limited picks.
2. Our defense was horrific specifically the DLINE.

Why in the world are we gonna draft a tight end with the so few picks we have?

Ill tell u why because Vinny Cerrato is a genius. :roll:
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Site Admin
Posts: 9282
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:34 am
Location: London, Ontario

Re: TE Matt Spaeth

Postby BossHog » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:27 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:Tight End is the last thing we need. We already have Cooley.


Just out of curiosity, what would we do if Cooley got hurt? This is football after all, not tiddlywinks.

Todd Yoder is the only real back-up that we have

1. We only have a few picks in the draft. No 2nd,3rd,4th I think. That means we have limited picks.


The OP did say 'later round picks'...

2. Our defense was horrific specifically the DLINE.


No argument there, but we will likely addres the d-line with our FIRST pick, and the draft isn't always brimming with defensive line talent in the later rounds. Sure, you can find projects and surprises (Golston) but often a late round d-line pick can be a throw away pick.

I don't see a sixth or seventh round pick going to a tight end as being a bad thing personally.

You draft the guy that is the best person available on your draft chart that late in the draft - there's really no possible way to say whether it's a good or bad decision until you see what is available.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

|||
Posts: 4309
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:34 am
Location: SANTA ANA,CA

Re: TE Matt Spaeth

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:14 pm

BossHog wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:Tight End is the last thing we need. We already have Cooley.


Just out of curiosity, what would we do if Cooley got hurt? This is football after all, not tiddlywinks.

Todd Yoder is the only real back-up that we have

1. We only have a few picks in the draft. No 2nd,3rd,4th I think. That means we have limited picks.


The OP did say 'later round picks'...

2. Our defense was horrific specifically the DLINE.


No argument there, but we will likely addres the d-line with our FIRST pick, and the draft isn't always brimming with defensive line talent in the later rounds. Sure, you can find projects and surprises (Golston) but often a late round d-line pick can be a throw away pick.

I don't see a sixth or seventh round pick going to a tight end as being a bad thing personally.

You draft the guy that is the best person available on your draft chart that late in the draft - there's really no possible way to say whether it's a good or bad decision until you see what is available.
Well I just think with so many holes on defense, and so few picks in the draft we should focus all our picks on defense.

If we happen to trade down and aquire more picks then I wouldnt mind seeing us use a late 6th or 7th round pick.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

G4L
Posts: 2361
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: no

Postby Gibbs4Life » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:42 pm

We do need that blocking te who can catch. Yoder can block but eh its Yoder ya know what I'm sayin.
HAIL

piggie
User avatar
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:54 am
Location: Somerset England, perth western australia

Postby Britskin » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:19 am

I think that Coach Gibbs may well think we need another TE - I don`t feel that he thinks its a crazy idea !
Lets go Redskins !

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:45 am

If he's good then I'm all for getting him. Im sure that we can fill some more defensive spots when the summer cuts roll around. I say that we should find the best talent in ANY area of NEED and look towards the next draft to fill more holes. We can't/shouldn't try to fix everything this year, some things we get a patch to tide us over.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010