Kiper Says

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:41 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
If Quinn is at #6, I say we either trade down or draft him and work out a trade if our clock time is running out....Like the Eli for Phillip Rivers trade. There are several teams that would step up to work something out.

I think the Eli / Rivers trade only really worked out because both teams needed / wanted a QB. Throw in a whiny brat who got "daddy" to help him, and a NY team that was inexplicably desperate to get a piece of Eli, and you'll see how unusual that trade was. We don't need a quarterback, and we certainly don't want one, so why would a team give us a steal for a draft pick, or -- worse -- a player that we have no use for? Taking a QB and hoping for a great trade is the equivalent of reaching into quicksand with your arms to pull your legs out.

I think showing weakness by giving any sense of begging for a deal will have the other teams smelling blood. We will get fleeced if we enter the market even appearing as though we need to make something happen.

From now until the end of the draft, Washington should play its strongest hand possible at all times and not try to bluff on this one. Sit tight and take the 6th pick, unless someone offers us something that is truly too good to pass up. If the coaches become fixated on moving down, they will inevitably settle for less and discount our pick for another (lucky) team.

Nice post Irn-Bru, and I agree with you 100%. :up:

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:49 pm

Quote:
If Quinn is at #6, I say we either trade down or draft him and work out a trade if our clock time is running out....Like the Eli for Phillip Rivers trade. There are several teams that would step up to work something out.

You NEVER draft a player with the intention of trading him unless the trade is all arranged.

NEVER
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010