Medical concerns could affect draft status of some players

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Medical concerns could affect draft status of some players

Postby 1niksder » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:35 pm

Medical concerns could affect McDonald, Rice

By Nolan Nawrocki
April 24, 2007

Every year, some players happen to slip in the draft for medical reasons. Most teams have now completed their medical meetings. Teams commonly assign grades to every player on different scales, ranging from A to F or 1 to 5, with "A" or "1" signifying a very clean medical history (rarely do players warrant such grades) and "F" or "5" meaning serious medical concerns, which forces teams to remove such players from their draft boards.

Overall, it seems this class does not have a lot of medical downside. After surveying many teams, following are some concerns that have arisen, which could affect where these players are drafted.

Notre Dame DE Victor Abiamiri — Has some concerns with his knee, with arthritis and cartilage issues both being cited.

Michigan DL Alan Branch — Teams cited shin fractures that are fairly common in big men of his size. The concern seemed relatively minor in nature but still noteworthy enough for many clubs to mention.

Penn State OT Levi Brown — Has some arthritis in his knees, which was mentioned as a slight concern by several teams.

California RB Marshawn Lynch — Has some abnormality in his lower back that remains a serious concern for some teams but has not pushed him off any draft boards, based on the teams we consulted.

Florida DT Ray McDonald — A number of teams mentioned that he does not have an anterior cruciate ligament in one of his knees and has been removed from consideration by some because of it.

Tennessee WR Robert Meachem — Has shoulder and knee concerns that, while not considered very serious, are still an issue cited by a number of teams.

Notre Dame WR Rhema McKnight — Wrist and right knee injuries were noted as being concerns.

South Carolina WR Sidney Rice — Both shoulders are concerns, and one may require minor offseason surgery.

Tennessee OG Arron Sears — Has an arthritic knee condition that is not expected to affect him severely but has been noted by a number of teams.

The Way We Hear It — draft edition
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:41 pm

It's depressing to see 21 year olds already suffering arthritis. It's not like their joints are ever going to get any better...

Hog

Postby jazzskins » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:21 pm

I had arthritis in my knee by 21....Sucks!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Hell, i've had it since I was 17. but i've had 4 knee ops.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010