Worth the Risk?

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
piggie

Worth the Risk?

Postby SeanTaylorJr. » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:38 pm

Michael Bush was once an absolute half man half beast creature sent from heaven to destroy defenses as a RB at the university of Louisville. As a junior he led the entire nation in rushing td's, and various other stats. At his peak he was roughly 6'3 and around 250 lbs, while running in the 4.4-4.5 40 yd. dash range. This guy was a total beast! I absolutely loved him. He was going to lead Louiville to a title his senior year, was a favorite for the heisman, and was a projected top 5 pick,

Then there was the idiot on Kentucky who decided to break his leg.

Now, Michael Bush is still going to the NFL, but with nowhere near the hype, expectations, or money as expected; because of the stupid kentucky guy.

I absolutely love him and he could be a 2nd or 3rd round pick, but I think that the team that takes a bit of a risk could get a payoff of a RB that could tear up the league. Right now I feel maybe GB, or Buff in the 2nd if neither gets marshawn, or maybe titans...others

What would you guys do if you were gm's? Is a cleary productive and dominant player worth the risk of not returning to his prior form after an injury like that? where would you take him at? what teams would you anticipate making this move?
On the eighth day God created Sean Taylor- and he was good.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:35 am

He is definatley worth a 2nd round pick. THe only thing is we have two quality starting running backs.

Another thing we dont have a second round pick. As well as we need defensive line help which you know already.

All in all. If we had a few more picks I wouldnt mind seeing us picking him up.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

||||

Postby Redskins Rule » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:41 am

I bet Denver will grab him in the second or third round. They love taking gambles on running backs........Take Maurice Clarrett for example
Redskins Rule!!!

DUMP SI!!!

Hog

Postby Jeremy81 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:43 am

i was saying this a couple months ago...i think cleveland would be smart to take brady quinn with their first picks...maybe a chris houston with their second and take a chance on bush in the third...they got jamaal lewis, so they can give bush a chance to heal while lewis carries the load for a year....if bush shows signs of progress, great. if not, then they can get a quality RB in 08 draft.

piggie

Postby nuskins » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:47 am

NO, we address the defense this year in the draft and wait until next year to draft Steve Slaton from WV. That is if we have a high enough pick b/c that boy is going to take the Heismann this year. His speed is unreal.

Hog

Postby die cowboys die » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:47 am

Jeremy81 wrote:i was saying this a couple months ago...i think cleveland would be smart to take brady quinn with their first picks...maybe a chris houston with their second and take a chance on bush in the third...they got jamaal lewis, so they can give bush a chance to heal while lewis carries the load for a year....if bush shows signs of progress, great. if not, then they can get a quality RB in 08 draft.

jamal lewis is trash. completey washed up. ugh. watching him run is disgusting. the browns are going nowhere.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:55 am

May be a 6th round look? Check this guy out:

Jordan Kent
WR | (6'4", 217, 4.51) | OREGON

Scouts Grade: 31
Strengths: Quick for size and flashes the ability to separate from man coverage. Possesses good top-end speed, tracks the ball fairly well and can stretch the field vertically. Has wide frame to shield defenders from the ball and could develop into a productive red zone target. Times jumps well, is an excellent leaper and can catch the ball at its highest point. Though inconsistent in this area, works hard and is big enough to develop into an effective blocker. Has steadily progressed and should only continue to get better with added experience.

Weaknesses: Didn't play football until 2005 and is raw. Lacks ideal awareness and needs to do a better job of working back to the quarterback when the protection starts to break down. Rounds cuts off, doesn't read defenses particularly well and is an inconsistent-at-best route runner at this point. Doesn't use hands particularly well, played in a spread scheme so didn't see a lot of press coverage and should have problems getting a clean release. Isn't an elusive open field runner, doesn't break a lot of tackles and isn't much of a big-play threat after the catch. Though shows good body control and the ability to adjust to passes thrown behind him, allows too many balls to get into body and drops passes that should catch. Has no experience returning kicks and lacks ideal versatility.

Overall: Kent had never stepped on a football field until the 2005 season when he appeared in eight games and finished with three catches for 114 yards (38.0 average) and one touchdown. In 2006 he played in all 13 games, making 10 starts, and recorded 44 catches for 491 yards (11.2 average) and four touchdowns. During the 2005-06 academic year, Kent became the first Division I athlete to letter in three or more sports (football, basketball and track) since 2001-02.

Kent is a classic boom-or-bust prospect. Though he isn't a great route runner and he needs to work on snatching the ball out of the air rather than letting it get into his body, he has very intriguing natural ability. He's big enough to make plays in traffic, quick enough to get open underneath and fast enough to make the occasional play downfield. Kent is a late-round developmental project -- and he could prove to be a steal.

Hog

Postby Jeremy81 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:46 pm

die cowboys die wrote:
Jeremy81 wrote:i was saying this a couple months ago...i think cleveland would be smart to take brady quinn with their first picks...maybe a chris houston with their second and take a chance on bush in the third...they got jamaal lewis, so they can give bush a chance to heal while lewis carries the load for a year....if bush shows signs of progress, great. if not, then they can get a quality RB in 08 draft.

jamal lewis is trash. completey washed up. ugh. watching him run is disgusting. the browns are going nowhere.

wow...way to stay on topic. i don't think i said a single thing about the browns being good next year...the question of the topic was who was going to take a chance on bush and i said the browns, then gave my reason.

piggie

Postby SeanTaylorJr. » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:50 pm

I never said anything about us drafting him, WE CANT, and bravo to Jeremy and Frankcal for staying on topic

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:13 pm

SeanTaylorJr. wrote:I never said anything about us drafting him, WE CANT, and bravo to Jeremy and Frankcal for staying on topic

For a long time I would go away from the rules but then I bought into the system. So now I try to stay within the rules on the board here and somehow it seems easier to use....To get back on topic...

I think that with the area's that we have a need at, RB might be the last area we need anyone at. With the lack of draft picks, even with the possibility of a trade down, we have no room for a RB. We have Clinton, Ladel, Rock, and Kerry Carter who is supposed to be one hell of a talent. He's supposed to be lightning fast. I don't know if we can use more than 4 RB's on our roster.

He will be good. For some reason, I can see him going to Atlanta in the 2nd. He did play for Louisville and you know about the new coach.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:24 pm

SeanTaylorJr. wrote:I never said anything about us drafting him, WE CANT, and bravo to Jeremy and Frankcal for staying on topic

Yeah but you asked them (those that actually read the question) what they would do if they were GM. Some already think they should be the Redskin GM so that how they replied. I"m leaning towards RR and his reply, Denver has a mentality that they can take those kind of risk when it comes to RB and the draft. They ship them out after a few years anyway
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

piggie

Re: Worth the Risk?

Postby SeanTaylorJr. » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:35 pm

SeanTaylorJr. wrote:Michael Bush was once an absolute half man half beast creature sent from heaven to destroy defenses as a RB at the university of Louisville. As a junior he led the entire nation in rushing td's, and various other stats. At his peak he was roughly 6'3 and around 250 lbs, while running in the 4.4-4.5 40 yd. dash range. This guy was a total beast! I absolutely loved him. He was going to lead Louiville to a title his senior year, was a favorite for the heisman, and was a projected top 5 pick,

Then there was the idiot on Kentucky who decided to break his leg.

Now, Michael Bush is still going to the NFL, but with nowhere near the hype, expectations, or money as expected; because of the stupid kentucky guy.

I absolutely love him and he could be a 2nd or 3rd round pick, but I think that the team that takes a bit of a risk could get a payoff of a RB that could tear up the league. Right now I feel maybe GB, or Buff in the 2nd if neither gets marshawn, or maybe titans...others

What would you guys do if you were gm's? Is a cleary productive and dominant player worth the risk of not returning to his prior form after an injury like that? where would you take him at? what teams would you anticipate making this move?

No actually thats not what i said, I said "if you were GM'S?" the s on the end of the G-M signifies the plural form. If I meant the plural form i couldn't have been talking about the skins, or any one team for that matter, but I should have known the rabid comment hungry visitors of the post would only glance at the question

Denver does seem like a likely canidate

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010