They should still be thinking

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
B-rad
Posts: 3049
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:46 am
Location: De La War

They should still be thinking

Postby brad7686 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:46 pm

Defensive End. Yes there are some good players at other positions, Okoye, Landry to name a few. But they only got 19 sacks all year last year. A franchise record. As if this was a historically good pass rushing team in the first place. I saw an interesting stat ron ESPN the other day where the top x amount of pass rushers' team pass defense was all very high, the lowest being 17th (Kampman, Green Bay). Landry would be nice but we have a billion safeties, and he will be useless if he has to run around all day trying to cover receivers for an hour why our D-ends fiddle around. Also, a better pass rush will lead to less first downs which will lead to a better run and pass d. I still think they have no option but to go DE unless they trade for more picks later.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

~~~~~~
Posts: 10208
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:59 am
Location: Canada

Postby Redskin in Canada » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:38 am

There is no DE worth of the 6th pick during this 2007 Draft. But if we trade down ... :wink:
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

B-rad
Posts: 3049
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:46 am
Location: De La War

Postby brad7686 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:04 am

Redskin in Canada wrote:There is no DE worth of the 6th pick during this 2007 Draft. But if we trade down ... :wink:


If Gaines is there he's worth a 6, he has Simeon Rice written all over him. Otherwise, I agree we could trade down a few spots before Anderson or Carriker come off the board.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

piggie
User avatar
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:15 pm
Location: C.T. WV

Postby nuskins » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:44 am

Gaines Adams will not be there at 6, I'd be willing to wager on that.

Okoye will however and if I remember I think we were atrocious against the run last year. Remember the Tennesee game? We have no interior defesive line. Golston is the only one that will be playing in 2 years, the rest will either get hurt or simply retire.

Games are won in the trenches and we need to bolster our Defensive line first and foremost in the draft. I'd agree that if Gaines is still there at 6 we take him but he won't be and there are not any other DE worth taking that high.

Okoye has nothing but upside to him and is a stand out kid that possesses far more than what statistics on paper can represent.

B-rad
Posts: 3049
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:46 am
Location: De La War

Postby brad7686 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:17 pm

nuskins wrote:Gaines Adams will not be there at 6, I'd be willing to wager on that.

Okoye will however and if I remember I think we were atrocious against the run last year. Remember the Tennesee game? We have no interior defesive line. Golston is the only one that will be playing in 2 years, the rest will either get hurt or simply retire.

Games are won in the trenches and we need to bolster our Defensive line first and foremost in the draft. I'd agree that if Gaines is still there at 6 we take him but he won't be and there are not any other DE worth taking that high.

Okoye has nothing but upside to him and is a stand out kid that possesses far more than what statistics on paper can represent.


Our two worst categories on defense were turnovers and sacks. They led to the bad pass and rush D because we couldn't get the opposing offense off of the field. I like Okoye as an elite run stuffer but don't see him getting a lot of turnovers or sacks.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 793
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:44 am
Location: Italy

Postby everydayAskinsday » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:58 pm

The only downfall I see in drafting Okoye is he a 19 year old kid.. I know he mature beyond his years but the fact is hes 19 and still alittle undersized to be playing DT in the NFL.. I dont seem him making an immediate impact with us if we draft him... veteran O-linemen are gonna be licking their chops everytime they see the kid out there..

I do feel however that he will be a very good NFL player 2 to 3 years down the line when he has filled out and learned the NFL game.. but everyone thats saying we D-Line help this year and lets draft this guy dont be suprised to see him sitting alot more then playing

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 793
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:44 am
Location: Italy

Postby everydayAskinsday » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:59 pm

The only downfall I see in drafting Okoye is he a 19 year old kid.. I know he's mature beyond his years but the fact is hes 19 and still alittle undersized to be playing DT in the NFL.. I dont see him making an immediate impact with us if we draft him... veteran O-linemen are gonna be licking their chops everytime they see the kid out there..

I do feel however that he will be a very good NFL player 2 to 3 years down the line when he has filled out and learned the NFL game.. but everyone thats saying we D-Line help this year and lets draft this guy dont be suprised to see him sitting alot more then playing

mursilis
Posts: 2414
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:07 pm

Postby Mursilis » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:10 pm

everydayAskinsday wrote:The only downfall I see in drafting Okoye is he a 19 year old kid.. I know he mature beyond his years but the fact is hes 19 and still alittle undersized to be playing DT in the NFL..


Okoye is listed at 302 (according to SI's website). That's less than 10 pounds under Griffin, and 15 pounds less than Salava. It's also 5 pounds more than Golston. I think being 'undersized' is not an issue for Okoye, especially in a 4-3 defense.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 793
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:44 am
Location: Italy

Postby everydayAskinsday » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:25 pm

Mursilis wrote:
everydayAskinsday wrote:The only downfall I see in drafting Okoye is he a 19 year old kid.. I know he mature beyond his years but the fact is hes 19 and still alittle undersized to be playing DT in the NFL..


Okoye is listed at 302 (according to SI's website). That's less than 10 pounds under Griffin, and 15 pounds less than Salava. It's also 5 pounds more than Golston. I think being 'undersized' is not an issue for Okoye, especially in a 4-3 defense.


its not that he weighs to little ..IMHO his body just dosnt seem NFL ready yet.. I've seen some of his tape and he doesnt seem to have the body to mash with the big boys.. but I'd love to be wrong because I've also heard he could be a Tommy Harris type DT and I would love to have a DT like that on our line

Pushing Paper
Posts: 4603
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:01 pm

Postby PulpExposure » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:36 pm

brad7686 wrote:Our two worst categories on defense were turnovers and sacks. They led to the bad pass and rush D because we couldn't get the opposing offense off of the field. I like Okoye as an elite run stuffer but don't see him getting a lot of turnovers or sacks.


His game is quickness and penetration. Even if he doesn't get a lot of sacks, if he develops as expected, you will need to double him. Which frees up the other guys for one on ones.

everydayAskinsday wrote:its not that he weighs to little ..IMHO his body just dosnt seem NFL ready yet.. I've seen some of his tape and he doesnt seem to have the body to mash with the big boys..


Okoye did 29 bench presses. Branch, who is massive and pretty much fully developed, did 33. Justin Harrell, the DT from Tennesse, did 24 bench presses. On the DE side, Jamaal Anderson did 22, and Gaines Adams did 21.

Okoye, not fully developed yet, is close to Branch (who weighs near 350...) in upper body strength. That's impressive as hell imho.

^^^^^^^
Posts: 9015
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:13 pm

everydayAskinsday wrote:
Mursilis wrote:
everydayAskinsday wrote:The only downfall I see in drafting Okoye is he a 19 year old kid.. I know he mature beyond his years but the fact is hes 19 and still alittle undersized to be playing DT in the NFL..


Okoye is listed at 302 (according to SI's website). That's less than 10 pounds under Griffin, and 15 pounds less than Salava. It's also 5 pounds more than Golston. I think being 'undersized' is not an issue for Okoye, especially in a 4-3 defense.


its not that he weighs to little ..IMHO his body just dosnt seem NFL ready yet.. I've seen some of his tape and he doesnt seem to have the body to mash with the big boys.. but I'd love to be wrong because I've also heard he could be a Tommy Harris type DT and I would love to have a DT like that on our line


Speaking of tape:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qm_zM86RZI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZcgGuuqz1Q

Here are two vid's about him...not so much of his play but himself.

B-rad
Posts: 3049
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:46 am
Location: De La War

Postby brad7686 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:11 pm

PulpExposure wrote:
brad7686 wrote:Our two worst categories on defense were turnovers and sacks. They led to the bad pass and rush D because we couldn't get the opposing offense off of the field. I like Okoye as an elite run stuffer but don't see him getting a lot of turnovers or sacks.


His game is quickness and penetration. Even if he doesn't get a lot of sacks, if he develops as expected, you will need to double him. Which frees up the other guys for one on ones.


That's what i meant, obviously he's not going to be a fat type run stuffer, he's only like 300 lbs. I meant he will get penetration. Either way he won't accrue double digit sacks.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

^^^^^^^
Posts: 9015
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:15 pm

He also has been known for causing fumbles. Which would be great. We know how ST seems to always be able to pick up fumbles and run them in for TD's.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010