Teams wary of Peterson's health

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Teams wary of Peterson's health

Postby 1niksder » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:01 pm

Oklahoma RB re-injured his collarbone in Fiesta Bowl

Former Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson, an almost certain top-10 pick in the first round of Saturday's NFL draft, re-injured his collarbone in the Sooners' loss in the Fiesta Bowl on New Year's Day -- an injury that has not been previously disclosed except to NFL teams.

Peterson broke his collarbone on Oct. 14 against Iowa State and missed the rest of Oklahoma's regular season, returning for the first time in the bowl game against Boise State. Peterson made NFL teams aware of the re-injury at the NFL Scouting Combine in February.

But at least two teams that SI.com spoke to acknowledged that Peterson's health was a consideration in their draft analysis.

A high-level source on one team said the evaluation of his team's medical staff was that Peterson will require a surgical procedure, which would delay his availability at the start of training camp and perhaps longer. That team estimated Peterson would be sidelined after the procedure for "two or three months." That would likely mean Peterson would miss the entire offseason workouts of the team that drafted him and make him questionable for the early part of the preseason.

"Because of him re-injuring it in the bowl game, it's not as far along as it should be, it's not healed," said a team executive. "He lost three months with the re-injury. The question is, will it be healed enough to take a hit. Or will he hurt it again, the way [ex-Detroit receiver Charles Rogers] kept doing.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:18 pm

I don't think it will be an issue. Shoulder problems are normal for RB's. If it were his legs then you should be worried. RB's can also come in and play faster than other positions. Its a bit of an easier position than say the....QB!

||||

Postby Redskins Rule » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:10 am

This sucks! If Cleveland doesn't take him with their pick and takes Brady Quinn then I highly doubt we will be able to trade down.
Redskins Rule!!!

DUMP SI!!!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:45 am

Even without the shoulder issue, we would want Quinn to be there at #6 but I don't think the shoulder is going to be an issue at all for him. There is another post on this board that exposes all players and their injuries. Most of the guys in the top 10 are hurt in some way. Gains Adams has bone spurs in his shins. (i think)

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:29 pm

Redskins Rule wrote:This sucks! If Cleveland doesn't take him with their pick and takes Brady Quinn then I highly doubt we will be able to trade down.

Most FOs are saying it won't matter because he'll be ready for the season :shock:. Regardless if Cleveland takes him or not, teams like the Packers will still be looking for help at that spot.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Postby gibbs4president » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:42 pm

1niksder wrote:
Redskins Rule wrote:This sucks! If Cleveland doesn't take him with their pick and takes Brady Quinn then I highly doubt we will be able to trade down.

Most FOs are saying it won't matter because he'll be ready for the season :shock:. Regardless if Cleveland takes him or not, teams like the Packers will still be looking for help at that spot.

Agreed. The Packers need a RB badly.

I think Peterson will be fine. He's ready.

Hog

Postby everydayAskinsday » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:57 pm

gibbs4president wrote:
1niksder wrote:

Agreed. The Packers need a RB badly.

I think Peterson will be fine. He's ready.

The question is will the Packers be willing to trade up 10 spots to draft a RB .. even if Peterson's available I dont see them moving up that much.. and if so dropping to 16 might not be so smart.. all our options for the D-Line could be gone by then.. most certainly Okeye and Branch.. and people are saying the 49er's are looking at Carriker so whose left? possibly Anderson?

Postby 1niksder » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:37 pm

everydayAskinsday wrote:
The question is will the Packers be willing to trade up 10 spots to draft a RB .. even if Peterson's available I dont see them moving up that much.. and if so dropping to 16 might not be so smart.. all our options for the D-Line could be gone by then.. most certainly Okeye and Branch.. and people are saying the 49er's are looking at Carriker so whose left? possibly Anderson?

Talking to the Packers could make the bill uppity and offer us even more and with any luck Anderson will go before Carriker
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010