THN Official Draft Day Thread

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:43 pm

I haven't been following the draft today. Did Walter Thomas get drafted by anyone?
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:51 pm

The Hogster wrote:The numbers don't lie. 16 sacks in a year is pathetic.

Numbers don't lie but do they say how many of those sacks were coverage sacks? Or how many came from designed blitzes from the LB spot? How many teams in the NFL depend solely on the D-line for QB sacks? Gibbs as said we need to get more pressure on the QB but has only brought in LBs and CBs. I'm willing to bet he is looking at different numbers than what we are.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:43 pm

1niksder wrote:
The Hogster wrote:The numbers don't lie. 16 sacks in a year is pathetic.

Numbers don't lie but do they say how many of those sacks were coverage sacks? Or how many came from designed blitzes from the LB spot? How many teams in the NFL depend solely on the D-line for QB sacks? Gibbs as said we need to get more pressure on the QB but has only brought in LBs and CBs. I'm willing to bet he is looking at different numbers than what we are.

Do you think that Phillip Daniels and Reynaldo Wynn are the best that the Redskins can get? The defense overall suffered, mainly IMO due to the injuries up front and our thinness at those spots along with injuries in the secondary. Springs, Rogers and Prielou all got hurt.

Right now we have 4 DE's...two of them are well into their 30's and don't rush the passer well. Carter shows promise, however, if he were injured would you be comfortable with Wynn and Daniels again?

I understand that its a team defense, but really 16 sacks is terrible, and its not entirely the LB's. At some point Daniels has to get to the QB and from a pure age standpoint it would seem that we'd be looking for a replacement at least for the future.

Im being realistically critical. Whether its this year or next we need to get someone that can make it easier on the rest of the D by requiring a double team and being athletic enough to present problems so that we don't need to blitz to get pressure. You're right, there are other ways to get pressure, but if you have to blitz to do it, you're gonna get beat once teams figure out your packages.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:55 pm

The Hogster wrote:Do you think that Phillip Daniels and Reynaldo Wynn are the best that the Redskins can get? The defense overall suffered, mainly IMO due to the injuries up front and our thinness at those spots along with injuries in the secondary. Springs, Rogers and Prielou all got hurt.

Free agent DEs were kind of thin this off-season, a lot of them were tagged :cry:

The Hogster wrote:Right now we have 4 DE's...two of them are well into their 30's and don't rush the passer well. Carter shows promise, however, if he were injured would you be comfortable with Wynn and Daniels again?

I'm guess the 4th guy you're talking about is Demetric Evans who has shown a sparkle here and there but there are other guys that will be given a chance this year already on the roster.

These guys are already in the offseason programs and would be way ahead of anyone brought in after being picked o day two:

91 Jamaal Green 26 yrs old 6'2 258lbs. Miami (Fl.)
71 Bryant Shaw 28 yrs old 6'2 290lbs. Mississippi College
77 Chris Wilson 24 yrs old 6'4 237lbs. Northwood College
78 Joe Sykes 24 yrs old 6'2 266lbs. Southern

The Hogster wrote:I understand that its a team defense, but really 16 sacks is terrible, and its not entirely the LB's. At some point Daniels has to get to the QB and from a pure age standpoint it would seem that we'd be looking for a replacement at least for the future.

I agree we need more sacks I prefer to have a LB and a DL compete for who has the most sacks and for both both to be in double digits. Just like it's not all on the LBs it's not all on the D-Line. A simple threat of the LBers blizting (something they didn't have last year) would help the the d-linemen at the snap if nothing else.

The Hogster wrote:Im being realistically critical. Whether its this year or next we need to get someone that can make it easier on the rest of the D by requiring a double team and being athletic enough to present problems so that we don't need to blitz to get pressure. You're right, there are other ways to get pressure, but if you have to blitz to do it, you're gonna get beat once teams figure out your packages.

3 of the 4 guys I listed are young than Evans, so there is youth there they just have to produce.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:14 am

1niksder wrote:
The Hogster wrote:Do you think that Phillip Daniels and Reynaldo Wynn are the best that the Redskins can get? The defense overall suffered, mainly IMO due to the injuries up front and our thinness at those spots along with injuries in the secondary. Springs, Rogers and Prielou all got hurt.

Free agent DEs were kind of thin this off-season, a lot of them were tagged :cry:

The Hogster wrote:Right now we have 4 DE's...two of them are well into their 30's and don't rush the passer well. Carter shows promise, however, if he were injured would you be comfortable with Wynn and Daniels again?

I'm guess the 4th guy you're talking about is Demetric Evans who has shown a sparkle here and there but there are other guys that will be given a chance this year already on the roster.

These guys are already in the offseason programs and would be way ahead of anyone brought in after being picked o day two:

91 Jamaal Green 26 yrs old 6'2 258lbs. Miami (Fl.)
71 Bryant Shaw 28 yrs old 6'2 290lbs. Mississippi College
77 Chris Wilson 24 yrs old 6'4 237lbs. Northwood College
78 Joe Sykes 24 yrs old 6'2 266lbs. Southern

The Hogster wrote:I understand that its a team defense, but really 16 sacks is terrible, and its not entirely the LB's. At some point Daniels has to get to the QB and from a pure age standpoint it would seem that we'd be looking for a replacement at least for the future.

I agree we need more sacks I prefer to have a LB and a DL compete for who has the most sacks and for both both to be in double digits. Just like it's not all on the LBs it's not all on the D-Line. A simple threat of the LBers blizting (something they didn't have last year) would help the the d-linemen at the snap if nothing else.

The Hogster wrote:Im being realistically critical. Whether its this year or next we need to get someone that can make it easier on the rest of the D by requiring a double team and being athletic enough to present problems so that we don't need to blitz to get pressure. You're right, there are other ways to get pressure, but if you have to blitz to do it, you're gonna get beat once teams figure out your packages.

3 of the 4 guys I listed are young than Evans, so there is youth there they just have to produce.

I agree and I hope these guys get a chance to help. I think Gibbs' values Reynaldo's character and leadership almost to a fault...to the point where another young guy on our roster won't get a chance.

I'd love for our DE replacements to come from within...just seems like we won't play anyone unless they are a free agent, or 1st day pick.

Case in point...when Demetric Evans is in the game, sparringly he registered...14 tackles and 2 sacks.

Daniels who is the starter last year regitered. 37 tackles and 3 sacks.

Now considering that Daniles is 34 years old....and Evans is in his 20's wouldn't it make sense to let the guy who is having more production with his time...play more...while the guy who is aging and falling in production might be more effective when he can come in fresh?

I dunno, but seems like we don't do a good job promoting our crop...we let them get stale till they hit free agency or are forced into the lineup via injury.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010