THN Official Draft Day Thread

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog

Postby everydayAskinsday » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:03 pm

Hes still out there.. Troy Smith JUST got snatched up at the end of the 5th.. teams like that taller QB that can see over the line.. Leak doesnt have mobility to get outside the pocket like some of the other shorter QBs

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:05 pm

frankcal20 wrote:Hell, why not. I just like his size.

He could be a find, his write up sounds alot like Rod Gardner though.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:07 pm

everydayAskinsday wrote:Hes still out there.. Troy Smith JUST got snatched up at the end of the 5th.. teams like that taller QB that can see over the line.. Leak doesnt have mobility to get outside the pocket like some of the other shorter QBs

He's more mobile than Drew Brees who is the same height. Probably less mobile than Steve Young. All I'm saying is that GM's make too much out of certain measurables. All of these guys play college ball, and this kid was a winner, and a leader at a top program. He deserves a in my book before someone who was mediocre at a small school just because he's got "the look".
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:23 pm

The Hogster wrote:HAHAHAHAHA mmuahahaha.. All I can do is laugh....Cerrato must go!!! How many LB's are we gonna draft???

Tears.

Linebacker has been the talk of the whole off season. Is there a reason why this team feels more comfortable with the D-line on the roster than the guys that play behind them?

Injuries hurt the entire defense last year, but maybe we are looking at it wrong. MLB & CB were addressed the first week of free agency... not even a single D-lineman was brought in :shock: .
Macklin was added way later yet still before as much as a visit for a DL. Trade talks/rumors around the draft involved the Skins getting this LB or this DB not once was there any real talk about help at D-Line.

Briggs name has come up so many times you'd think he signed before LFB. On message boards every time you hear we don't need a LB because we have Marcus and the real need is at DL, listen to the Redskins and they are saying the D-line will be fine (even much improved) but they keep saying Marcus is "getting healthy" or say things like "with a healthy Washington".

Bringing Linebackers for depth really isn't a bad thing. Gibbs said last week there weren't too many players out there that could step right in and start. I wish he had traded down for more pick but every trade I ever heard of required TWO partners. In the end I think he in fact drafted a guy that can step right in and start (at a position of need).

Gibbs also said they would be looking at players not drafted and there have been a lot of offensive lineman that have fallen to the wayside that can make NFL rosters. They'll be June 1st cuts to consider.

Williams prefers to run his hybrid 46 defense but due to injuries last year he ran more Cover/Tampa 2 than he should have. I think he's grown somewhat tried of the scheme as a fallback. Every scheme he's every used revolved around LBs and most of his LB are on the otherside of 30.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:37 pm

1niksder wrote:
The Hogster wrote:HAHAHAHAHA mmuahahaha.. All I can do is laugh....Cerrato must go!!! How many LB's are we gonna draft???

Tears.

Linebacker has been the talk of the whole off season. Is there a reason why this team feels more comfortable with the D-line on the roster than the guys that play behind them?

Injuries hurt the entire defense last year, but maybe we are looking at it wrong. MLB & CB were addressed the first week of free agency... not even a single D-lineman was brought in :shock: .
Macklin was added way later yet still before as much as a visit for a DL. Trade talks/rumors around the draft involved the Skins getting this LB or this DB not once was there any real talk about help at D-Line.

Briggs name has come up so many times you'd think he signed before LFB. On message boards every time you hear we don't need a LB because we have Marcus and the real need is at DL, listen to the Redskins and they are saying the D-line will be fine (even much improved) but they keep saying Marcus is "getting healthy" or say things like "with a healthy Washington".

Bringing Linebackers for depth really isn't a bad thing. Gibbs said last week there weren't too many players out there that could step right in and start. I wish he had traded down for more pick but every trade I ever heard of required TWO partners. In the end I think he in fact drafted a guy that can step right in and start (at a position of need).

Gibbs also said they would be looking at players not drafted and there have been a lot of offensive lineman that have fallen to the wayside that can make NFL rosters. They'll be June 1st cuts to consider.

Williams prefers to run his hybrid 46 defense but due to injuries last year he ran more Cover/Tampa 2 than he should have. I think he's grown somewhat tried of the scheme as a fallback. Every scheme he's every used revolved around LBs and most of his LB are on the otherside of 30.

It's not a bad thing, but we've drafted and/or signed several in the past two years and not one of them is still on the roster except McIntosh...which leads me to believe that we don't evaluate talent as well as some other teams.

Robert McCune
Spencer Havner
Kevin Simon
Zak Keasey

Add in the fact that these guys this year were all takin in the mid-to late second day, and it does not give you much promise that these guys will all of a sudden be any different.

Now we add London Fletcher and 2 more rookies...just the pure numbers suggest that at best one of these guys can make the team.

The only rationale I can see for this is that a late round LB who makes your team will be able to play special teams. While a late round DE on your roster will not....and if he's not on the field its a waste of a roster spot.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:42 pm

I'd have liked to grab the Kicker Crosby over Dallas Starks...but I'll take the wait and see.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby DaSkins24 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:42 pm

Did the Skins convert to a 34 defense? What the hell is up with all these LB's?

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:43 pm

Thank you, 1niksder! Finally a common sense perspective.

Nobody within the Skins organization has said anything about the d-line being a pressing need. NOBODY! Only fans and the media has said that. In fact, Gibbs has said just the opposite, offering some positive insight and compliments regarding our current crop of d-linemen.

Gibbs said just yesterday that they were going to look for depth at the LB position. Then they draft a LB, which Gibbs said they were going to do, and everyone has a sh*t fit. Do you people only listen to yourselves and the media rather than Gibbs? :roll: Joke.

I read an article this morning with the headline..."Vinny hates the d-line". :roll: Ok, then why did they sign Carter and draft 2 DT's last year? Funny how some folks think they know more than a HOF coach. :roll:

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:44 pm

We really have no depth at LB'r that the coaches feel confident in outside of special teams.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:48 pm

SkinsFreak wrote:Thank you, 1niksder! Finally a common sense perspective.

Nobody within the Skins organization has said anything about the d-line being a pressing need. NOBODY! Only fans and the media has said that. In fact, Gibbs has said just the opposite, offering some positive insight and compliments regarding our current crop of d-linemen.

Gibbs said just yesterday that they were going to look for depth at the LB position. Then they draft a LB, which Gibbs said they were going to do, and everyone has a sh*t fit. Do you people only listen to yourselves and the media rather than Gibbs? :roll: Joke.

I read an article this morning with the headline..."Vinny hates the d-line". :roll: Ok, then why did they sign Carter and draft 2 DT's last year? Funny how some folks think they know more than a HOF coach. :roll:

The numbers don't lie. 16 sacks in a year is pathetic.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:50 pm

frankcal20 wrote:We really have no depth at LB'r that the coaches feel confident in outside of special teams.

I understand this but what is our track record with second day LB's?? Not one on the roster, and the one's that were barely cracked the special teams lineup.

If our second round pick could only make special teams with Warrick "The Matador" Holdman ahead of him, what do we really I expect from these guys? They are rookies and will take time to develop, but whats the chance that the Redskins keep these guys on the roster for 3 years?
SPIT HAPPENS!!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:52 pm

I guess we will have to take a wait and see approach. I have a good feeling for some reason.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:55 pm

SkinsFreak wrote:Thank you, 1niksder! Finally a common sense perspective.

If your post was actually accurate it would be cool, but just because people object to us selecting two late round LB's AGAIN...does not mean that peole don't think we need LB's.

I guess the fact that we've now taken 6 second day LBS in the past two years and of last year's 4 not one is on the roster....uh, that says a lot about our late round evaluation.

THIS IS NOT AN INDICTMENT OF GIBBS...Gibbs is a HOF coach, but he is a HEAD COACH...meaning when he's sleeping at the park, our scouts are out there evaluating players live. Gibbs doesn't start that until January and its all done via film, and the evals given by our scouting dept who answer to .....Vinny Cerrato.

Now it's not Gibbs' fault if our scouts continually rate these late round guys above where their talent is as shown by training camp. When you take a guy in the 4th round and he's out before the year is over, that says we made a mistake. Now I hope and pray we're right about these guys, but meanwhile Phillip Daniels and Reynaldo Wynn...mid 30's are what we call "depth" at DE. what if Carter is hurt....? we're back to Daniels and Wynn. and Evans can't rotate inside as much....that tandem has proven to be sub par.

So save the criticism..
Last edited by The Hogster on Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:57 pm

It is pissing me off we go to commercial everytime we pick on NFL Network and ESPN.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:00 pm

Wow...a Quarterback. I guess we like having guys in the NFL Europa
Last edited by The Hogster on Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010