THN Official Draft Day Thread

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:00 pm

Carson Palmer's little brother?????? This I really don't get.

Ok let me think this through. We do have two old QB's.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:03 pm

frankcal20 wrote:Carson Palmer's little brother?????? This I really don't get.

Ok let me think this through. We do have two old QB's.

True...maybe since Vinny does n't know whats he's doing he's picking names based on family relation.

We need an LB...uh take Hb Blades...bennie's son
We need a QB ...uh take Caron Palmers brother

we need a linebacker Vinny....uh...I hate dallas so lets take dallas starkz :lol:

All in all, i think we got better this offseason....but fans look to the draft to get an idea of what or scouts think....and i think alot of folks are miffed.

I saw the kid Palmer on ESPN...he looks JUST like Carson...so maybe he'll turn out to be Carson like.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby funbuncher » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:05 pm

Jordan Palmer
QB | (6'5", 231, 4.98) | UTEP

Scouts Grade: 44

Flags: (D: DURABILITY) Player that can't stay healthy Selected by: Washington Redskins
Round: 6
Pick (Overall): 31(205)
View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History
You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Strengths: Possesses prototypical size. Is tall, well-built and still filling out his frame. He continues to get bigger and stronger. He possesses adequate arm strength. Lacks elite zip to fit the ball into some tight spots, but he shows good touch and timing as a pocket passer. He can be extremely effective when given time to set and follow through on his throws. In those scenarios, he shows good accuracy and the ability to lead his receivers. Shows good ball skills and sells his fakes well. He isn't afraid to take a hit when stepping into a throw and he shows good overall toughness for the position. He is competitive and has proven that he will play through injuries. He is not an overly vocal leader but he has a laidback approach that his teammates seem to admire about him.

Weaknesses: He turns the ball over far too much. It doesn't seem that he sees the entire field at times. He makes too many poor reads and will force too many throws into coverage, especially when the pocket is collapsing around him. He only played one year of high school football (as a senior), so he's a bit of a late-bloomer in that regard. His inconsistent mechanics get him in trouble. He has a tendency to throw when off-balance, which leads to accuracy issues. He lacks ideal mobility and will not be able to buy many second chance passing opportunities at the next level. He is vulnerable versus a strong pass rush and must learn to do a better job of beating the blitz. He lacks ideal arm strength and will not be able to fit the ball into the tight spots that many other NFL quarterbacks can hit. He is not a threat to run. He takes too many big hits in the pocket and has durability issues, as a result. He has suffered multiple concussions. He also suffered a broken ankle and torn ligament in the 2005 GMAC Bowl.

Overall: Palmer was redshirted in 2002 and suffered a broken collarbone costing him six weeks of practice time. He started six games and played in 11 total contests as a redshirt freshman in 2003 passing for 1,168 yards, seven touchdowns, and 13 interceptions. Palmer missed two games with a knee injury and another with a rib injury during that season. He was an honorable mention All-WAC selection during the 2004 season while passing for 2,818 yards, 28 touchdowns, and 18 interceptions, completing 58-percent of his attempts. In 2005, Palmer threw for 3,503 yards, 29 touchdowns, and 19 interceptions while completing 59.4-percent of his passes in 12 games, garnering a second team All-WAC selection (coaches, media). Palmer then started all 12 contests in 2006, completing 65.7-percent of this throws for 3,595 yards, 26 touchdowns, and 14 interceptions.
Palmer possesses the overall physical tools to eventually develop into an NFL contributor but he is not nearly as gifted as his big brother Carson, who was the first overall pick of the Bengals in 2003. Jordan has outstanding size, adequate arm strength and great toughness. He is a developmental prospect that would be best suited for a play-action heavy scheme at the next level. However, Palmer has many flaws -- only some of which are correctable -- at this point. He will never have elite arm strength and his lack of mobility makes him target for good pass rushes. He also must improve his accuracy and decision-making skills. Overall, Palmer makes too many costly mistakes and is too limited athletically for our liking, which is why we dropped his grade to the late-round range.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:16 pm

I am astonished that there have been no picks for the DL so far. :cry:

I like the pick of J. Carson. :shock: He is an improvement over our 3rd string and Mark is on his way out. This -could- be a really good pick. It is a gamble but all of them are at this stage.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:24 pm

Well one guy who has been rated as the top DE is still available: Xavier Jackson. Also Bourchette. I think we are going to bring in a lot of guys to work them out and make the team.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:25 pm

Yeah at this point why not take him. I can only look forward to what our plan is for the D Line...some people think we're good up front...but even if you give those the benefit of the doubt....we are good and Old at best...and at some point you have to address this.

Griff has years...Salevea is effective when healthy....Daniels is old...Wynn is old and ineffective...so we need to address this and I hope we figure something out.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:27 pm

There are a lot of kids that are still out there that will play in the NFL. I said this elsewhere but I'm sure that we are going to bring in DE's, DT's, and olineman to tryout. Remember Joe Jacoby wasn't drafted. Lets find another one of those guys.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:32 pm

Strengths: Possesses adequate initial quickness, plays with good leverage and generally gets into good position as a blocker. Shows adequate balance, plays hard and flashes the ability to sustain blocks. Plays under control in space, shows good athletic ability and can adjust to the moving target at the second level. Has a wide frame, can shield defenders from the ball and has the potential to develop into a productive red zone target. Generally shows good focus while the ball is in the air and can adjust to passes thrown outside of frame. Flashes the ability to catch the ball at its highest point and rarely drops passes that should catch. Runs with good power and flashes the ability to break tackles after the catch.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal size, doesn't have ideal lower body strength and has problems creating seams working against two-gap defensive ends. Doesn't deliver a violent initial punch, doesn't extend arms once locked onto the defender and needs to use hands better. Doesn't explode into blocks, doesn't roll hips into blocks and isn't going to knock many defenders back. Doesn't appear to read defenses well and has some problems locating soft spots when working against zone coverage. Lacks ideal top-end speed and isn't going to stretch defenses. Doesn't show great burst coming out of cuts and isn't a crisp route-runner at this point. Age and durability are reasons for concern.

Overall: Ecker arrived in Ann Arbor in 2000, did not see any action, and was redshirted before embarking on a two-year Mormon mission. He returned in 2003, played in all 13 games as a backup tight end and on special teams, and caught seven passes for 98 yards. In 2004, Ecker played in all 12 games for Michigan, made one start, and finished the season with 15 receptions for 139 yards (9.3 average) and two touchdowns. As a redshirt junior in 2005, he started six of the 12 games he played in catching 21 passes for 285 yards (13.6 average) and two touchdowns. In 2006, he started eight of 13 games but missed five contests with an ankle injury and finished the season with 12 catches for 155 yards (12.9 average) and two touchdowns.

Ecker has enough of size and athletic ability to develop into a quality reserve tight end in a scheme that doesn't ask him to do a lot of in-line blocking. However, his upside is limited by his lack of speed and explosiveness. He will turn 25 in April of 2007 and he missed significant time as a senior with an ankle injury. Ecker will need to take the free agent route in order to earn a roster spot in the NFL.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:43 pm

Well I'm happy! We got the best overall Defensive Player in the draft, a few LBs that may end up on special teams...emphasis on may....a Quarterback with good pedigree....and a TE.

Even if none of these players makes the team except Landry....AT LEAST WE DIDN'T TRADE ANY OF NEXT YEARS PICKS...!!!! YAYY

Who knows...if were' an 11-5 team next year instead of 5-11, then we can start really adding depth to our team with young, highly rated draft selections.

Good job.

Overall B... I think our draft was a C+ since we had such limted picks, but I give us a bump to B- for taking Landry..and another bump to B just for not making a retarded trade.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:56 pm

7th pick was a wasted pick IMO. This is not a catching TE. This is not a blocking TE. They just called a name.

There was talent left on the board. I agree with the score above. Laron Landry will help.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Hog

Postby HardDawg » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:58 pm

This TE is garbage! This QB is garbage. The 3rd best QB on the board end of story is Zabransky! We choke at the draft every year. The ONLY downside of being a fan of the greatest team in sports!
Strength, though vital, must always be at the servitude of wisdom!

Hog

Postby everydayAskinsday » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:01 pm

No way I can give us a grade of B on this draft.. I say C- ..our last 2 selections would of been there for us after the draft.. what did we just draft those 2 because Palmer has a famous brother and Ecker came from Michigan and its a big time program so its sounds good saying a TE from Michigan

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:13 pm

everydayAskinsday wrote:No way I can give us a grade of B on this draft.. I say C- ..our last 2 selections would of been there for us after the draft.. what did we just draft those 2 because Palmer has a famous brother and Ecker came from Michigan and its a big time program so its sounds good saying a TE from Michigan

I'm trying to remain positive considering we only had 1 pick in the first 4 rounds. Let's face it, the success ratio of mid 5th rounders and below is probably around 2 in 10 who make it. So in all likelihood we'd be lucky if any of these second day guys are still on the roster.

My only problem with the draft is that IMO..if you are taking players who will likely not make your team, why not bring in a slew of Defensive Ends and see if one sticks and turns into a solid starter. We traded alot for Rocky and even he didn't get onto the field.

I think we made the best pick possible at 6. I had been a converted Landry supporter for a few weeks now so I'm thrilled. I think he has potential for greatness. If we come out of this draft with one Great player...then we've done a pretty good job.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:39 pm

The Hogster wrote:
SkinsFreak wrote:Thank you, 1niksder! Finally a common sense perspective.

Nobody within the Skins organization has said anything about the d-line being a pressing need. NOBODY! Only fans and the media has said that. In fact, Gibbs has said just the opposite, offering some positive insight and compliments regarding our current crop of d-linemen.

Gibbs said just yesterday that they were going to look for depth at the LB position. Then they draft a LB, which Gibbs said they were going to do, and everyone has a sh*t fit. Do you people only listen to yourselves and the media rather than Gibbs? :roll: Joke.

I read an article this morning with the headline..."Vinny hates the d-line". :roll: Ok, then why did they sign Carter and draft 2 DT's last year? Funny how some folks think they know more than a HOF coach. :roll:

If your post was actually accurate it would be cool, but just because people object to us selecting two late round LB's AGAIN...does not mean that peole don't think we need LB's.

I guess the fact that we've now taken 6 second day LBS in the past two years and of last year's 4 not one is on the roster....uh, that says a lot about our late round evaluation.

THIS IS NOT AN INDICTMENT OF GIBBS...Gibbs is a HOF coach, but he is a HEAD COACH...meaning when he's sleeping at the park, our scouts are out there evaluating players live. Gibbs doesn't start that until January and its all done via film, and the evals given by our scouting dept who answer to .....Vinny Cerrato.

Now it's not Gibbs' fault if our scouts continually rate these late round guys above where their talent is as shown by training camp. When you take a guy in the 4th round and he's out before the year is over, that says we made a mistake. Now I hope and pray we're right about these guys, but meanwhile Phillip Daniels and Reynaldo Wynn...mid 30's are what we call "depth" at DE. what if Carter is hurt....? we're back to Daniels and Wynn. and Evans can't rotate inside as much....that tandem has proven to be sub par.

So save the criticism..

ROTFALMAO Yes, I'm the critical one. Brilliant!

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:15 pm

SkinsFreak wrote: ROTFALMAO Yes, I'm the critical one. Brilliant!

This is not about you. It is about the Draft. The team made a SAFE, non-disatrous Draft.

It was not a Draft that will go on history as the 1981 Draft by all means but this is my summary:

1. Laron is a great addition. The safest pick and the best defensive player available at that pick. I am happy to have him. There were no good offers to trade down. End of story.

2) Two LBs are projects and Blades, the guy from Pitt, will become a VERY GOOD Special Team player sooner than later.

3) The J Carson QB pick is a gamble. We could have picked a good DL player here. They are gambling and if it works they will look like geniuses. The odds are not in their favour but I do not object to this gamble. If Jason gets hurt, ourseason is over right now.

4) The TE pick is incomprehensible. Even as far as blocking TEs is concerned, there were other options. But most importantly, there were some good DL options available. We are not a good team in the lower rounds that is for sure. We are getting better but we are not really good yet.

I am happy with this Draft because it was not a DISASTER and we did not Mortgage next year's Draft. I am at peace. Not happy but at peace. This was Laron Landry's year and that is good enough for me.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010