Your Draft Thoughts!

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:06 pm

OK, it's not going to happen - I'll take your word for it.

But if it does, be ready, because I'll be reminding you of what you just said. :wink:
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:33 pm

got a lb named 'dallas' :puke: still want d-line and OG help. :?
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Hog

Postby Skins2daGrave » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:46 pm

D+
16 Ounce Bottle Of Coke: $2
3 Bags Of Chips: $8
40" Plasma Screen TV: $2000
Watching the Cowgirls get beaten in Dallas with 2 4th Quarter TD passes to Santana Moss: Priceless

||||

Postby Redskins Rule » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:02 pm

I don't like this draft!!!! I mean, I love the selection of Landry...................but, If Daniels or Wynn or Griffin or Salavea get hurt AGAIN this year we are screwed!

Selecting the linebackers only makes sense if Marcus Washington's hip injury is just as bad as Bo Jackson's was...........or close to it. And if thats the case then we're screwed!

And selecting a linebacker named Dallas is borderline blasphemy!

Drafting a quarterback is dumb!!! At least for this year it is. We needed help in other areas other than a freakin quarterback!

The tight end selection...........the guy can't catch! He can block, but can't catch! I'm thinking he'll be good if defenders decide to stack the box on the 3rd and shorts..................but we needed d-lineman.

I agree. This draft gets the grade of D+.
Redskins Rule!!!

DUMP SI!!!

Hog

Postby skinsfano28 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:04 pm

i really wanted mason crosby, i'm not sold on suisham and someone who can consistently hit from 60?! how do you pass that up for a project linebacker?!
Sean, may you always rest in peace and look down on us with the same love that we look up to you.

Hail to the Redskins!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:23 pm

hailskins666 wrote:got a lb named 'dallas' :puke: still want d-line and OG help. :?

AND a safety named Landry! The horrors!
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby John Manfreda » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:01 pm

This is typical Redskins draft, lets not adress our needs instead take a safety, than a bunch of Lb's. When is Snyder going to realize he needs a GM and can't pick the players himself. We didn't draft a guard and didn't get D-line help, Laundry probably will be good, I would rather draft a D-lineman especially since the game is won in the trenches.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:06 pm

John Manfreda wrote:This is typical Redskins draft, lets not adress our needs instead take a safety, than a bunch of Lb's. When is Snyder going to realize he needs a GM and can't pick the players himself. We didn't draft a guard and didn't get D-line help, Laundry probably will be good, I would rather draft a D-lineman especially since the game is won in the trenches.

I seriously doubt Snyder picked the players himself. What are you basing that on?
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:59 pm

I'll wager only 2 of these guys make the 53 man roster. Landry and Blades. Dullas and the TE may make the practice squad after they are cut. The QB most likely will just be cut, because lets face it, Campbell, Boonell, and Saunder's boy will make the team. That mean Bramlet and Palmer will be cut. Lots of good that pick did us!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

|

Postby sch1977 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:22 pm

I wonder if the FO knows of a quality D-lineman or two who are going to be June 1 cuts?? :-k
Taylor and Landry will take no Prisoners!! - I just can't bring myself to delete it!

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:49 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01121.html

I feel that they do not acknowledge enough the value of our 6 pick and I hope that this season proves them wrong but they identify many of the same problems mentioned in this board before ... :cry:
Flying by the Seat Of Their Pants

By Les Carpenter
Sunday, April 29, 2007; Page E10

Approximately 2 1/2 hours after the start of the NFL draft, a great wind blew at Redskins Park, rotors hummed and a helicopter rose from behind the headquarters, whisking Coach Joe Gibbs to a FedEx Field draft party. Around the rest of the league, other coaches buried themselves in their war rooms scouring player lists, making picks, building futures. But the moment Washington filled its glaring holes on the defensive line with a safety, the priority became a party 30 miles away.

Who needs a silly old draft anyway?

And so as the coach chop, chop, chopped into the sky, banking right over the parking lot and soaring over the trees, the Redskins' draft board for the next two hours was left to scouts and assorted underlings. For the Redskins of Gibbs's second tour here, this seemed as good a plan as any they've had.

Around the rest of the NFL, team executives hear the word "Washington" and their faces cloud. They lean in and ask the question they mull internally all the time: "Who makes the decisions there?" Is it Gibbs? Vinny Cerrato? Daniel Snyder? Anybody? Every team must have a master plan, they say, a framework upon which all decisions are made and a direction is plotted. They wonder if this franchise has one and suggest it does not.

Four years into Gibbs II, they are still slapping names on a roster, gushing about talent even when they don't seem to know if that talent fits best with the other players on the team. For weeks the Redskins tried desperately to rid themselves of Saturday's first round, maybe of the whole first day of the draft altogether by trying to trade for yet another starting player developed by another team, figuring that throwing $20 million more in guaranteed money for Chicago linebacker Lance Briggs was a better bet than trying to develop from within.

Briggs is a talented defender, a good player who may or may not be an overrated product of playing on the same defense as Brian Urlacher, who could be the most dominant defensive player in the league. Either way, he is not a $20 million player. Nor would he have solved the pass rush and tackling problems that plagued the Redskins up front. Not to mention what taking on such a contract would do to the salary cap long term.

By now it should be clear that the Gibbs Redskins are not into franchise building. The master plan the other teams wonder about has been to slap pieces together in hopes that somewhere they find a magic mix of players and get Gibbs his one last Super Bowl before he jumps back into the helicopter and flies away for good. It would be a charming thought if the NFL hadn't changed so much the last few years.

The salary cap rules all decisions today. It's an understanding that has settled into every team headquarters but this one and perhaps Oakland. With the cap constantly rising, teams are able to keep their best players, meaning fewer and fewer top free agents come onto the market, thus limiting the pool of elite, experienced players. That the Redskins were ready to throw $20 million in bonus money at Briggs shows how limited the field of immediate replacements really is.

Once again a draft day came and the Redskins, having dealt most of their picks, were mostly bystanders. They did hold onto their No. 6 choice and used it to take LaRon Landry, who is considered a solid tackler. With 4.3 speed, he can run down ballcarriers. If he progresses as most in the league believe, he should soon be a starter and might just give the Redskins a building block for the future.

But as most of the other teams in the league put together their defenses in the mold now considered most effective, by building with draft picks and filling an occasional hole with a free agent, the Redskins have reversed the process, loading up with free agents and filling in with draftees. With the pick of Landry, Washington now has two players on whom it can rebuild for years to come -- Landry and Sean Taylor. Both are safeties -- not shutdown corners, not pass-rushing defensive ends, not run-stuffing linebackers.

Before he boarded the helicopter, Gibbs dropped by an auditorium to sum up the team's first day of the draft. He did not seem concerned that the team still does not have a dependable tackler in the middle, saying the coaching staff remains excited about Kedric Golston and Cornelius Griffin. He also said they are prepared to rely on Phillip Daniels and his three sacks last season to deliver the pass rush.

On a day when hope normally abounds, enthusiasm was muted around Redskins Park. Gibbs said by the time they arrived at headquarters in the morning the coaches were resigned to not trading their top pick. He talked about getting the best value for the pick, implying that the pass rushers and tackles were not as good as Landry, which may well be true.

It's hard to look at this first day of the draft and feel any better about the Redskins. They appear to be better in the secondary and have added a desperately needed leader in linebacker London Fletcher, but for a team that needs to win now before Gibbs leaves for good, they still don't have a pass rush and have left the offense in the hands of a quarterback with just seven NFL starts.

The coach may have been climbing, but on what is usually a significant day for most teams, there was still little reason to believe the franchise was rising with him.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:50 pm

Like most of you, I'm baffled by the lack of attention paid to the DE position during free agency and the draft. But the interest in Briggs, the selection of Landry, the selection of Sartz (a small, quick LB), and the anticipated return of K. Campbell leads me to believe that perhaps Williams will try to put pressure on the QB with the LBs and safeties this year, rather than using a stud DE.

That's the only explanation I can offer. I can't imagine that a playmaker pass rusher with a low price tag will fall into our laps come June 1.
I'm a jack of all trades, the master of three
Rockin' the tables, rockin' the mikes, rockin' the young lay-dees.

Hog

Postby Snout » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:56 pm

I am sure than Landry will be a great player for the Redskins, but that misses the point. The Redskins need balance on defense. They need a dominant guy on the front line to complement the talent they already have at LB and in the secondary. Without a playmaking fear-inspiring gamechanging presence on the line, our outstanding linebackers and defensive backs are going to be just average.

Landry will not be starter on opening day and none of the other picks will make the 53-man roster.

I rate this draft C-

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:12 pm

Sartz Blades Palmer Ecker

ALL MAKE THE TEAM
HAIL

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:00 pm

I would say that Ecker is going to be in all end zone packages. Who cares if he's slow, he only has to run 5 yards. Hell, he's 6'6.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010