Your Draft Thoughts!

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog

Postby John Manfreda » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:16 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
John Manfreda wrote:This is typical Redskins draft, lets not adress our needs instead take a safety, than a bunch of Lb's. When is Snyder going to realize he needs a GM and can't pick the players himself. We didn't draft a guard and didn't get D-line help, Laundry probably will be good, I would rather draft a D-lineman especially since the game is won in the trenches.

I seriously doubt Snyder picked the players himself. What are you basing that on?[/quote
Think what you like but I doubt Snyder isn't picking the players.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:34 pm

John Manfreda wrote:This is typical Redskins draft, lets not adress our needs instead take a safety, than a bunch of Lb's. When is Snyder going to realize he needs a GM and can't pick the players himself. We didn't draft a guard and didn't get D-line help, Laundry probably will be good, I would rather draft a D-lineman especially since the game is won in the trenches.

I think needs were address:

LaRon Landry:

The argument *** The Redskins should have traded down instead of drafting at a position that wasn’t a “need” position.
This wasn’t a need because the NFL Network had a graph and safety didn’t have a little thingy, so it must not have been a need. This might be true if AA had worked out. He didn’t and the position was a spot that needed a guy that will be here for years.

My opinion ** Of all the players in the draft I think he has the best chance to come in and provide help for this team. Safety became a obvious need with the performance of AA last year causing him to be shipped out and there is no guarantee that PP will be 100% The Redskins did well in selecting LL at number six. As far as trading down, who was there to trade down with? Atlanta was the only one to call so they did what they needed to do. It’s not like they drafted Levi Brown or Ted Ginn Jr. (both went higher than they should have). The Vikings didn’t come up to get Adrian Peterson once the Browns went with Thomas and the Bills just wanted one of the top 2 RBs. No one that was expected to target Quinn wanted to trade up for him; they won’t even take him when the pick came up. Trading down wasn’t a option and grapping a D-lineman at number six would have been like taking Ginn at #9 or Brown at 5.

The Linebackers:

The argument *** The Redskins should have drafted defensive lineman. DE & DT each had their own thingy that made it a no brainer at worst they should have gotten an OL (another thingy owner on the NFL network).
The defense line needs to be addressed because it wasn’t address during free agency.

My opinion ** I think we could have used a DE but I also thought Wynn was out of here only to visit the NFLPA site the other night and realize he had reworked his contract. Still don’t know if any years were added to his contract or not. At any rate this makes it obvious that we don’t know everything that’s going on this off-season. Stocking up linebackers actually makes a lot of sense for a team that was injury riddle at the spot last year, and went into the draft with only 6 on the roster. Marcus Washington’s health was an issue at the end of last season, Lemar Marshall was dinged most of the season, and Rocky had issues with his knee. That leaves Khary Campbell and newcomers LFB and Anthony Trucks. Williams likes to use a lot of LB and he didn’t have enough. I don’t know much about Sartz other than I’ll need a nickname for him if he makes the team, HB Blades is a nice pick and they both may contribute on special teams.

Jordan Palmer:

The argument *** The Redskins should have drafted any position other than QB. They’ve got Campbell, Brunell and Collins to go along with the guy (Casey Bramlet) playing in Europa or whatever it’s called now. This wasn’t a need and he stands no chance to make the team. Yeap you guessed … QB was thingy-less on the NFL network.

My opinion ** Bramlet is getting more playing time overseas year after year for a reason. Brunell will be gone next year and Collins would save the team $1,000,000.00 if he isn’t here this year. He seems to be a safe player to stash on the practice squad while he learns the game. His brother didn’t do too badly, after spending time on the bench. Campbell hopefully will be the starter for years to come but there isn’t anyone on the roster that can be counted on it he goes down in 2009. Let’s not forget it was the sixth round.

Tyler Ecker:

The argument *** not much discussion about this guy other than the pick should have went to DL, TE did have a thingy and it was listed as filled. That may explain it.

My opinion ** Not a bad pick but I wouldn’t list this spot as filled, if anything the OL thingy should be listed as filled with this pick. Buges will add about 25-30 pounds to this kid and make him a “Dirtbag”. We still need a blocking TE that can be counted on to catch an occasional
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:35 pm

And they stood pat with no picks in rounds 2,3,and 4 without shipping out any of next years picks!!!!!
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:41 pm

Nicely done, redskin1. Thanks.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Postby 1niksder » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:57 pm

Countertrey wrote:Nicely done, redskin1. Thanks.

They did pretty good if we look at the big picture
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Postby jazzskins » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:58 pm

WE HAVE ALL OUR PICKS IN 2008! WHOO HOO! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:55 pm

OVerall I am pleased. I think we have two late round gems. In Dallas Sartz , and H B Blades. Blades is excellent against the run. Sartz excells in blitzing and coverage.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:01 pm

jazzskins wrote:WE HAVE ALL OUR PICKS IN 2008! WHOO HOO! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Maybe not! NO one ever could answere weather we still have to give Denver our 4th for Two Tears in a Duckett.

If so we have used a 3rd and a $th to aquire both B. Lloyde and T J Duckett and one isn't on the team and the other is didn't score a single YD.

Heck the Patriots just got Randy Moss for a forth and the 49ers (who rooked us for Lloyde) got Darnell Jackson for a forth. Why are we throwing inthe extra 3rd. Why didwe even give the 4th?
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Postby 1niksder » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:04 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
jazzskins wrote:WE HAVE ALL OUR PICKS IN 2008! WHOO HOO! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Maybe not! NO one ever could answere weather we still have to give Denver our 4th for Two Tears in a Duckett.

If so we have used a 3rd and a $th to aquire both B. Lloyde and T J Duckett and one isn't on the team and the other is didn't score a single YD.

Heck the Patriots just got Randy Moss for a forth and the 49ers (who rooked us for Lloyde) got Darnell Jackson for a forth. Why are we throwing inthe extra 3rd. Why didwe even give the 4th?

The Duckett Deal is done, and the Skins have a full boat in 2008
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:19 am

I am disgusted, but glad we got blades. However, he has nowhere to play but the middle. And Fletcher has that locked up for at least a few years probly. So i dunno. I'm still 98 percent disgusted.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:42 am

1niksder wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:

Bram Whinstien asked Larry Michaels about that, because neither knew and Larry thought that the Skins were on the hook for the 08 4th.

I can't understand why, but that what he said. And Gibbs has said that it will be nice to have all of our choices for 08 and then corrected himself and said "almost all".

I wish I new for sure but I can't find anything that says one way or the other!

But the point I was making is we toss in that "extra" forth that people get good players for, WITHOUT adding the 3rd. You can't tell me that Duckett or Lloyde are more tallented than R. Moss or Darnell Jackson.

In the whole line of "XXXXX for Dummies" books is there a "Trade Value for Dummies", because if there is, one of us should send it out to Redskins Park!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:44 am

brad7686 wrote:I am disgusted, but glad we got blades. However, he has nowhere to play but the middle. And Fletcher has that locked up for at least a few years probly. So i dunno. I'm still 98 percent disgusted.

He gets a few years to develop and learn how to call a defense from someone who has been the leader of his defense everywhere he's gone.

That's not a bad thing at all.

Hog

Postby trey53 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:25 am

I think the Skins did a good job considering they had 5 picks. Landry was considered the best defensive player on the board. Blades, simply put, was a freakin steal in the fifth. Have to admit wasn't too stoked about the QB pick...but at least his brother's good...hopefully he's not the runt of the litter like Eli. :) Nice big TE to block. Oh and as others have pointed out...2008 is intact. Not bad.
She turned me into a newt! ...I got better.

Hog

Postby John Manfreda » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:32 pm

That is definetly good news.

Postby 1niksder » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:09 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
1niksder wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:

Bram Whinstien asked Larry Michaels about that, because neither knew and Larry thought that the Skins were on the hook for the 08 4th.

I can't understand why, but that what he said. And Gibbs has said that it will be nice to have all of our choices for 08 and then corrected himself and said "almost all".

I wish I new for sure but I can't find anything that says one way or the other!

Now that I think about it, the trade had a lot of different options.

Swapping No.1s depending on how each team finished
Swapping No.1s and giving them the 3rd rd. pick in 2007 depending on how each team finished
Swapping No.1s and giving them the 4th rd. pick in 2008 depending on how each team finished
I'm not sure but the 3rd option may have been a 3rd in 2007 and 4th in 2008.

Considering we didn't swap no.1s this year Larry may be right I'll have to look into that.

**EDIT**

NFL 2008 Draft Picks Traded

2nd Round
Atlanta from Houston - QB Matt Schaub

3rd Round
Buffalo from Baltimore - RB Willls McGahee final payment with two '07 draft picks

4th round
Denver from Washington - WR Ashley Lelie (final part of deal - Atlanta)

5th round
Philadelphia from Cleveland - OC Hank Fraley

7th round
Minnesota from St. Louis - OT Adam Goldberg -
Buffalo from Philadelphia - Takeo Spikes/ Kelly Holcomb for Darnell Walker trade

Conditional Trades
Oakland from the Jets - DE Bobby Hamilton
Baltimore from Indianapolis - LB Ryan LaCasse (6th rd '06 NFL Draft)
Jets from Minnesota - QB Brooks Bollinger
Philadelphia from Seattle - FB Josh Parry
Denver from Tampa - QB Jake Plummer (retired)
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010