Your Draft Thoughts!

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:20 pm

After thinking about it for a day or so, I really thought the entire draft was a little strange this year. Even Gibbs made mention about there not being a deep draft class overall this year. A lot of other crazy stuff happened as well. It just felt weird to me, all the way around.

They were talking about Brady Quinn on NFL Live today and were trying to compare him head-to-head with other young, recently drafted QB's already in the league. They possed the question of who they thought would have a better NFL career; Brady Quinn or Jason Campbell. Everyone agreed that Campbell will most likely have a better pro career.

Not that I give a rats behind what those fools have to say, but that was my assessment as well. :wink: :lol: :lol: Anyway, just thought that was intereting.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:59 pm

I think we made the best pick possible at 6. Landry could be a perennial pro-bowler.

I was a little perplexed about the second day. But its early. If those guys make the roster at LB and contribute, then I will be happy.

I just look back on the LB's we draft and get nothing out of i.e. Robert McCune, Kevin Simon, Spencer Havner...I hope this year is different, but i'll take the wait and see approach. I would have liked to see us give a Defensive End with at least one pick. Perhaps a division II....standout with upside.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Tue May 01, 2007 10:03 pm

I like the fact that we have all our picks next year....

IT REALLY SUX that dallas has their whole draft plus cle's #1
HAIL

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue May 01, 2007 10:59 pm

brad7686 wrote:I am disgusted, but glad we got blades. However, he has nowhere to play but the middle. And Fletcher has that locked up for at least a few years probly. So i dunno. I'm still 98 percent disgusted.
At least let the season play out. You cant write these guys off yet.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Wed May 02, 2007 11:37 am

So much gloom and doom about the D-Line??? I say that our problems last year were mostly due to injuries to Springs and Prioleau, and the abysmal play of Archuletta coupled with nagging injuries to the d-line and a lack of production from the LB's. This also effected Taylor's play as he seemed to be pressing to do too much and consequently being out of position and late on mid and deep routs.

Williams, in turn, didn't employ nearly as much safety pressure in the pass rush as had been the Redskin trademark the previous two seasons.

I agree with Gibbs assessment that coverage in the secondary was the most pressing need to correct....as often as d-line pressure assists the secondary in turnovers, good coverage also leads to more sacks. Some people have forgotten about the term "coverage sack", and from what I saw last year, we didn't exactly excell in that department.

Of course the upgrades to LB corp will also help more than some expect. Holdman was a leak on the weakside, and Marshall was not an overpowering presence in the middle. Fletcher will make a huge impact, as will Rocky be ready to take the next step.

I believe having your FS leading in tackles is not the way you want your free safety to be used. That shows that the LB's are not getting the job done, nor is your SS. Look at the best defenses and see who is making the tackles.....your Mike and Sam LB should be your leaders, followed by your SS.

For example, Talor had 111 tackles....compare that to Ed Reed (59 tackles). When the FS is the leading tackler, that says one of two things...(neither of them good) 1) opposing offenses are getting too many deep penetrations into the secondary either by run or pass, or 2) the run defense is so leaky that the third line of defense is having to make the plays.

Fletcher is going to make a larger difference in the overall performance of the defense than any of the available d-lineman that were available in the draft. He has the speed to go sideline to sideline which will allow more pass rush from Washington from the outside. Landry is also a rocket that will likely be a safety blitz monster, as well as a playmaker in coverage situations.

Far from being the big question mark here, the d-line will be fine if injuries remain manageable, and I expect the overall defense to return to 2004-2005 form. The real question mark will be if Campbell can step up to the next level this year. If he does (and I think he will) the Skins have as good a shot at the NFC East title as anyone else.

Superbowl? Probably not this year. But a deep run in the playoffs is very possible. A few surprises happen? Like maybe Lloyd steps up and performs to his ability, and this offense starts to score 24 points a game...anything is possible!

I expect the Skins to give the odds makers in Vegas heartburn all year as the sleeper.

And don't discount the possibility that something big could still happen in the trade department before camp starts.

That's my 2 pennies.

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Wed May 02, 2007 12:34 pm

Gibbs4Life wrote:I like the fact that we have all our picks next year....

Will you be as happy when you learn we don't have our 4th rounder?

IT REALLY SUX that dallas has their whole draft plus cle's #1

Yeah I know. Cleveland is going to suck, again, and that's going to be an extremely high draft pick. Bleh.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed May 02, 2007 12:46 pm

Here is why we didn't trade down:

No interest: If you are wondering why the Redskins drafted safety Leron Landry and didn't trade down from the sixth pick, the answer is simple. During their 15 minutes, no team called. The inability to move out of the No. 6 pick in the first round was one of the reasons the Bears got gun shy and didn't trade up from the 31st pick, using linebacker Lance Briggs as the tradable asset. More and more, it's hard to trade top-10 draft choices.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/in ... ayton_john

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Wed May 02, 2007 6:46 pm

frankcal20 wrote:Here is why we didn't trade down:

No interest: If you are wondering why the Redskins drafted safety Leron Landry and didn't trade down from the sixth pick, the answer is simple. During their 15 minutes, no team called. The inability to move out of the No. 6 pick in the first round was one of the reasons the Bears got gun shy and didn't trade up from the 31st pick, using linebacker Lance Briggs as the tradable asset. More and more, it's hard to trade top-10 draft choices.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/in ... ayton_john

Geeeeez... you had to go and ruin it, didn't you? :roll:

We were allllll doing juuuuuuuust fine with slamming Snyder and Vinny, calling out the front office, declaring that the coaching staff knows nothing, and bashing the scouts. Now you have to go and throw that at us. Thanks... :roll:

:D

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed May 02, 2007 6:58 pm

I'm bashing us. Bashing our front office has got old. We've been doing it for years. I just wanted to change it up.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu May 03, 2007 1:41 pm

Why didn't we draft Quinn? Here's why!

It's a good thing he's used to sacks. :lol:
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Thu May 03, 2007 8:01 pm

HOLY.... :shock: :shock: :shock: Where in the world did you ever find that pic?

Hog

Postby DaRealistJoka » Thu May 03, 2007 10:19 pm

That is so gay
DaRealist Fan
R.I.P Sean Taylor

Hog

Postby gibbs4president » Thu May 03, 2007 10:50 pm

Absolutely hilarious. I just showed a huge Notre Dame fan in my dorm and he just looked at the screen and said "what the hell?" He looked lost.

I appreciate that.... greatly...

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri May 04, 2007 6:40 am

DaRealistJoka wrote:That is so gay

I'm pretty sure you have to be a cup to say that. Are you a cup? :wink:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri May 04, 2007 8:55 am