yahoo draft grade

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
B-rad

yahoo draft grade

Postby brad7686 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:15 am

Washington Redskins: One pick in the first five rounds is a major disappointment. Granted, the pick – LSU safety LaRon Landry – is an amazing player who likely will give the Redskins the best safety tandem in the NFL. With Sean Taylor and Landry, going over the middle will be nothing less than medieval torture for Washington opponents. But as good as that pick is, going another 136 selections before your next choice is rough. And the Redskins got little more than backup depth and special teams guys in linebackers Dallas Sartz and H.B. Blades and tight end Tyler Ecker. Quarterback Jordan Palmer, brother of Cincinnati's Carson Palmer, might be nothing more than a camp novelty.
Grade: D+

He didn't even mention the lack of D-line attention. Only the Eagles had a worse grade and only Seattle was tied. In the NFC anyway.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Wed May 02, 2007 5:08 pm

The best way to grade a draft is to wait at least 3 to 5 years afterwards
XVII XXII XXVI

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Wed May 02, 2007 5:12 pm

Restricted to THIS draft, I give the Skins an A.

- They picked the best player available, 5 years from now we will be glad that was the approach (and hopefully they will have made the right choice too)

- They sat on their hands for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round. Must have killed Dan the Man to do that. But it was the best possible move.

- In the later rounds they still looked for quality (at the level of low round picks) and didn't just take fliers on positions they HOPED would work out.

Now granted in giving them the A I'm ignoring having traded too many picks away, but just on this draft I was impressed.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby HailSkins94 » Thu May 03, 2007 1:53 pm

I agree with the grade. Not because of the Landry pick he is going to be a stud, but because of the lack of picks. Just not acceptable.
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!

|||

Re: yahoo draft grade

Postby HEROHAMO » Fri May 04, 2007 1:04 am

brad7686 wrote:Washington Redskins: One pick in the first five rounds is a major disappointment. Granted, the pick – LSU safety LaRon Landry – is an amazing player who likely will give the Redskins the best safety tandem in the NFL. With Sean Taylor and Landry, going over the middle will be nothing less than medieval torture for Washington opponents. But as good as that pick is, going another 136 selections before your next choice is rough. And the Redskins got little more than backup depth and special teams guys in linebackers Dallas Sartz and H.B. Blades and tight end Tyler Ecker. Quarterback Jordan Palmer, brother of Cincinnati's Carson Palmer, might be nothing more than a camp novelty.

He didn't even mention the lack of D-line attention. Only the Eagles had a worse grade and only Seattle was tied. In the NFC anyway.

How can you honestly grade a teams draft before even seeing the players that were picked play?

What if Sartz,Blades and Landry end up going to the pro bowl in the next three years? What will the so called draft experts say then?

Exactly you cant really grade these players until they play. There will always be busts and late round gems.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Sat May 05, 2007 11:56 am

HEROHAMO wrote:
brad7686 wrote:Washington Redskins: One pick in the first five rounds is a major disappointment. Granted, the pick – LSU safety LaRon Landry – is an amazing player who likely will give the Redskins the best safety tandem in the NFL. With Sean Taylor and Landry, going over the middle will be nothing less than medieval torture for Washington opponents. But as good as that pick is, going another 136 selections before your next choice is rough. And the Redskins got little more than backup depth and special teams guys in linebackers Dallas Sartz and H.B. Blades and tight end Tyler Ecker. Quarterback Jordan Palmer, brother of Cincinnati's Carson Palmer, might be nothing more than a camp novelty.

How can you honestly grade a teams draft before even seeing the players that were picked play?

What if Sartz,Blades and Landry end up going to the pro bowl in the next three years? What will the so called draft experts say then?

Exactly you cant really grade these players until they play. There will always be busts and late round gems.

I don't really see what the problem is. We took two players that will probably be productive in this league, didn't really address that many needs, and didn't draft any potential sleepers. Seems pretty fair to me.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Sun May 06, 2007 7:40 am

brad7686 wrote:I don't really see what the problem is. We took two players that will probably be productive in this league, didn't really address that many needs, and didn't draft any potential sleepers. Seems pretty fair to me.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Didn't address needs and didn't draft any potential sleepers?

ROTFALMAO Dude... you're killing me with this crap.

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Sun May 06, 2007 8:04 am

SkinsFreak wrote:
brad7686 wrote:I don't really see what the problem is. We took two players that will probably be productive in this league, didn't really address that many needs, and didn't draft any potential sleepers. Seems pretty fair to me.

Don't you know that the sky is indeed falling?

Brad is worried that the Redskin's valuable 6th and 7th round picks were thrown away. There could have been a Tom Brady!!!

I mean...because guys drafted that low become starters, right?

Oh wait, statistical analysis showing they don't.

Players drafted in the 6th and 7th round have a 9% chance of starting for an NFL team after 4 years.

Getting riled up over low round selections does not make any sense because it's so rare they actually pan out. it makes a lot more sense to pick for value then, since at least the better rated guys have a better chance of making the pick work out. Picking for need with a low draft pick is even worse than picking for need with a high round pick.

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Sun May 06, 2007 10:44 am

PulpExposure wrote:
SkinsFreak wrote:

Brad is worried that the Redskin's valuable 6th and 7th round picks were thrown away. There could have been a Tom Brady!!!

Players drafted in the 6th and 7th round have a 9% chance of starting for an NFL team after 4 years.

Getting riled up over low round selections does not make any sense because it's so rare they actually pan out. it makes a lot more sense to pick for value then, since at least the better rated guys have a better chance of making the pick work out. Picking for need with a low draft pick is even worse than picking for need with a high round pick.

Agreed and well said. It's funny how FACTS always seem to paint a clearer picture.

BTW - no late round sleepers??? I actually think Blades will become a starter in this league, and a pretty good one at that. I also believe, when he finally gets his chance, whenever that might be, that Jordan Palmer might have potential. I may even add Sartz to that list as well. I really feel the Skins did their homework there. So to say that we didn't draft any potential late round sleepers is... well... very premature, and I'll just leave it at that. Talk to me five years from now, and then, and only then, will we be able to have a legitimate and factual conversation on the subject.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun May 06, 2007 6:17 pm

From all that I have heard recently the true measure of a draft is not known for at least 3 - 4 years - it will be interesting to see where we are in 3- 4 years from now as the result of only having 1 first day pick in 2007 - I've got a feeling it will probably not be anywhere near as bad as a lot of others think. :lol:

This is a little like the perception that the Redskins always were going to be in "cap hell" forever because of how we signed everyone to those ridiculous salaries and as far as I know we never had to really cut anyone - NOT 1 - for cap reasons after all those dire predictions - these guys cannot get a job with a team so they deride the choices of those that do have the jobs that these guys are basically just jealous of. :lol:

I think a testimony of these guys opinions is how many picks on the first day who are "can't miss" NFL talent according to these guys and they just never make it. :wink:
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Sun May 06, 2007 6:59 pm

SkinsFreak wrote:BTW - no late round sleepers??? I actually think Blades will become a starter in this league, and a pretty good one at that. I also believe, when he finally gets his chance, whenever that might be, that Jordan Palmer might have potential. I may even add Sartz to that list as well. I really feel the Skins did their homework there. So to say that we didn't draft any potential late round sleepers is... well... very premature, and I'll just leave it at that. Talk to me five years from now, and then, and only then, will we be able to have a legitimate and factual conversation on the subject.

Yeah, well I remember them drafting Mario Monds and thinking he was a great sleeper, too.

When's the last time one of our 6th round picks actually started a full season for the Redskins? By my count it was Ed Simmons in 1987.

I mean hell, in 2002 we drafted Reggie Coleman in the 6th round, Jeff Grau, Gregg Scott and Rock Cartwright in the 7th. Rock has been a find, but as a special teamer and emergency RB player.

We just shouldn't expect an all-pro or hell, even a good starter, from the 6th and 7th rounds because the odds are seriously stacked against that.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon May 07, 2007 1:41 am

I have said this before but I feel a need to say it again.

A player coming into a good system has a far better chance of becoming successfull.

Its all about developing the talent you get. Its like a prize winning rose gardner.

The players we pick are like rose seeds. Gibbs is the Gardner and our system is the soil. If we water the plants every day and give it plenty of sunshine we are sure to get prize winning roses.

Bringing in free agents is like just bringing in a nice rose from another garden.

We will be fine Gibbs has been doing great so far. He has done it before he will bring us back again.

IN conclusion I give our draft an A- the minus is only due to the fact that we had a lack of picks.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon May 07, 2007 11:04 am

SkinsFreak wrote:
BTW - no late round sleepers??? I actually think Blades will become a starter in this league, and a pretty good one at that. I also believe, when he finally gets his chance, whenever that might be, that Jordan Palmer might have potential. I may even add Sartz to that list as well. I really feel the Skins did their homework there. So to say that we didn't draft any potential late round sleepers is... well... very premature, and I'll just leave it at that. Talk to me five years from now, and then, and only then, will we be able to have a legitimate and factual conversation on the subject.

Yeah, well I remember them drafting Mario Monds and thinking he was a great sleeper, too.

I don't think the coaching staff thinks either of the LB's is a sleeper, but rather, good picks that slipped. They were surprised when Sartz (he appears tailor made for Williams D) was there, and really surprized when Blades was there. They drafted Palmer as a project.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Mon May 07, 2007 10:39 pm

SkinsFreak wrote:
PulpExposure wrote:
SkinsFreak wrote:

Agreed and well said. It's funny how FACTS always seem to paint a clearer picture.

I said there would be two productive players, blades was one of them. The other three picks, especially the Sartz one when Ben Patrick/Mason Crosby were still on the board, weren't used to their ultimate potential. Sartz would have still been available in the 6th, probly the 7th. It's not that they draft bad players, its that they miss out on better ones, when they could get the one they drafted in the next round. The exception this draft would be blades, who was a good pick in the 6th.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue May 08, 2007 10:05 am

brad7686, who are the sleepers that we missed out on? Who are the players that other teams will have as studs in 2 years while our guys are still sitting on the bench, or at home?
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010