yahoo draft grade

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Re: yahoo draft grade

Postby 1niksder » Tue May 08, 2007 6:45 pm

brad7686 wrote:I said there would be two productive players, blades was one of them. The other three picks, especially the Sartz one when Ben Patrick/Mason Crosby were still on the board, weren't used to their ultimate potential. Sartz would have still been available in the 6th, probly the 7th. It's not that they draft bad players, its that they miss out on better ones, when they could get the one they drafted in the next round. The exception this draft would be blades, who was a good pick in the 6th.

Ben Patrick??? they were looking for a blocking TE that can also catch, not a pass catcher that could block a little. Tyler Ecker fits that mold better than Patrick.

Mason Crosby would have been a great pick for a team with only 5 picks unless you can bring in someone like Tyler Fredrickson on the cheap to compete with a kicker that you already like.

When get to the second day you should take the best player available, but when you have to WAIT until the second day to pick you still have to look at need while looking for the BPA
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Wed May 09, 2007 12:24 pm

1niksder wrote:
brad7686 wrote:I said there would be two productive players, blades was one of them. The other three picks, especially the Sartz one when Ben Patrick/Mason Crosby were still on the board, weren't used to their ultimate potential. Sartz would have still been available in the 6th, probly the 7th. It's not that they draft bad players, its that they miss out on better ones, when they could get the one they drafted in the next round. The exception this draft would be blades, who was a good pick in the 6th.

Ben Patrick??? they were looking for a blocking TE that can also catch, not a pass catcher that could block a little. Tyler Ecker fits that mold better than Patrick.

Mason Crosby would have been a great pick for a team with only 5 picks unless you can bring in someone like Tyler Fredrickson on the cheap to compete with a kicker that you already like.

When get to the second day you should take the best player available, but when you have to WAIT until the second day to pick you still have to look at need while looking for the BPA

Ok so you don't want a kicker who will be elite, or a TE that will catch AND block effectively, you would rather have a linebacker that looks like scarecrow. Its about value. Both the players i mentioned have a ton more value than Dallas Sartz. He probly would have gone in the 7th in all reality. Wait till then. The skins pay no attention to how the draft is supposed to unfold.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Wed May 09, 2007 12:28 pm

brad7686 wrote:
1niksder wrote:

Ok so you don't want a kicker who will be elite, or a TE that will catch AND block effectively, you would rather have a linebacker that looks like scarecrow.

Yes, because that's what Joe Gibbs, Al Saunders and Gregg Williams wanted. Sorry, but I'll go along with them.

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Wed May 09, 2007 12:31 pm

brad7686 wrote:The skins pay no attention to how the draft is supposed to unfold.

What are you talking about? The players they WANTED were there when their pick came up, so they grabbed em', and that's how the draft unfolded.

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Wed May 09, 2007 12:34 pm

SkinsFreak wrote:
brad7686 wrote:The skins pay no attention to how the draft is supposed to unfold.

What are you talking about? The players they WANTED were there when their pick came up, so they grabbed em', and that's how the draft unfolded.

the point is they could have waited. Sartz is not a fifth round pick. they had an opportunity to add some slippers and instead took someone way too early. the exact opposite of what they should have done. they don't understand value, which is why they will never be in the league of the patriots, broncos, etc. personnel wise. Its funny how everyone understands this concept as far as taking landry over a good defensive end, but dont understand it later on in the draft when its magnified ten fold, since there aren't many good players left.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Wed May 09, 2007 12:44 pm

brad7686 wrote:the point is they could have waited. Sartz is not a fifth round pick.

Wow, how do you know that?

Some felt he should have been drafted earlier. Did you do some research to see how he might have fit it with all of the different defensive schemes around the league? If so, let us know whom you spoke with, so we can confirm that every team thought he should have gone in the 7th round.

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Wed May 09, 2007 2:49 pm

SkinsFreak wrote:
brad7686 wrote:the point is they could have waited. Sartz is not a fifth round pick.

Wow, how do you know that?

Some felt he should have been drafted earlier. Did you do some research to see how he might have fit it with all of the different defensive schemes around the league? If so, let us know whom you spoke with, so we can confirm that every team thought he should have gone in the 7th round.

Obviously there will be disagreement about prospects but pretty much everyone considered him a late rounder or free agent. There were some people who were considered second rounders, that were available, which is my point. If they would rather have addressed need than take the best player, that would be fine. But they have a ton of linebackers.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Hog

Postby wormer » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:00 am

D+???

My issue with this grade is it is primarily based on PICKS THEY DID NOT HAVE.

IMHO you should be graded on what you did given what you had.

They are being graded based on a lack of picks which 1) should not be done and 2) if it IS done, should be noted in terms of what they got for the picks they did not have.

Plus as has been said countless times here, you really can not grade a draft until the players have a chance to perform.

I bet the Chargers were graded out high when they picked Ryan Leaf. I also seem to recall everyone sporting wood over a certain prior years Super Bowl winer drafting a Heisman Trophy winning WR a few years back... :-) How did that one work out?

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:35 am

wormer wrote: and 2) if it IS done, should be noted in terms of what they got for the picks they did not have.

Ug do you really want to use that as a rebuttal?

2nd rounder: LB who was hardly used.
3rd rounder: TJ Duckett
4th rounder: Brandon Lloyd.

Uh yeah...

Hog

Postby wormer » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:38 pm

PulpExposure wrote:
wormer wrote: and 2) if it IS done, should be noted in terms of what they got for the picks they did not have.

Ug do you really want to use that as a rebuttal?

2nd rounder: LB who was hardly used.
3rd rounder: TJ Duckett
4th rounder: Brandon Lloyd.

Uh yeah...

Yea...I did not really word that exactly how I wanted to but you actually make my point... They are being given a bad draft grade based on NON-draft-day activties. Meaning, the 2007 draft should be looked at on it's own merits.

They had X picks and picked X players with those picks. I would also accept trades made on draft day that got them players and/or picks.

Saying they had a bad draft cuz the traded thier 3rd round pick 9 months ago makes no sense to me.

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:08 pm

wormer wrote:Yea...I did not really word that exactly how I wanted to but you actually make my point... They are being given a bad draft grade based on NON-draft-day activties. Meaning, the 2007 draft should be looked at on it's own merits.

You are right. The draft was what it was based on the number and round of picks. I would call it good.

But the personnel management decisions made -preceding- and -impacting- on the draft were, mmmmh, just bad. Feel better now? I do. :lol:
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:34 am

wormer wrote:Meaning, the 2007 draft should be looked at on it's own merits.

I think they got graded badly for the lack thereof.

wormer wrote:I would also accept trades made on draft day that got them players and/or picks.

But that's not the draft.

wormer wrote:Saying they had a bad draft cuz the traded thier 3rd round pick 9 months ago makes no sense to me.

It does when X player under performs (for whatever reason) and the team is screwed because they need depth and can't get it because the pissed away Y amount of draft pics.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010