ESPN Reporting USC's Mike Williams will declare for draft

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
swine

ESPN Reporting USC's Mike Williams will declare for draft

Postby Bitter Smuggs » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:14 am

He is as talented, if not more talented, than Larry Fitzgerald, so if he does enter the draft that is another top 5 player. I don't think the Redskins would take him, but I think the 5th pick could generate a lot of interest in terms of trade. With Eli Manning, Larry Fitzgerald, Mike Williams, and Ben Rothlisberger - there are 4 guys who could all make a case for being the top pick. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of those guys fell to the 5th pick.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:26 am

True, but we don't need anyone in those areas at the moment... we need DT, DE, CB, TE, RB...
Rich in Roanoke

swine

Postby Bitter Smuggs » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:29 am

True, my point is that we might get more in a trade for the 5th pick. As it stands, we only have our 1st round pick, our 2nd and a later pick in day 2. I wouldn't mind moving down a few spots if it means still getting a quality player and adding a couple extra picks in the process.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:16 am

If we trade Bailey - I think we get a 1 and 3.

Then we trade down the two #1's and probably get a lower 1 and a 2 or 3 for each, depending on where we drop to. I can even see a scenario in which we drop the second 1st rounder again to a high second rounder and another pick.

It would look something like this after:

1: 10th
2: #5 and #10-11 - possibly another @ say #25-30
3: #6, #10
5: #5

so we would move from 3 picks to maybe 6-7 picks with more possible if we trade some more for short drops for very late picks.

I know I would parlay picks as much as possible... If we can get NE to trade both #1s for our #5 pick (unlikely) trade both down to the second round unless we fear losing someone.

That would net us even more picks - possibly taking us to 9-10 picks...
Rich in Roanoke

Hog

Postby Redskins4Life » Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:45 am

I doubt we would trade both pick 5 and 6 if we had them. We would surely keep at least one of them to snag Sean Taylor or K.Winslow

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:57 am

I dunno - Gibbs is more of a blue collar type of coach and loves his blue collar players :)

I would rather have Troupe than Winslow - Winslow had a heckuva bad tude in Miami. I don't know about Taylor though Mark Maske feels that is the way they are leaning. I still would love to see 'em trade down quite a bit and bring in several very good players instead of another "star"... I have had my fill of stars lately.
Rich in Roanoke

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:41 pm

just my opinion... but Taylor is way too good to pass up and there's no way we'd deal down from 5 if he was there.

With the Giants choosing before us though, pretty good chance Taylor might go at #4.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:26 pm

I am sure Gibbs position is still to take the best player available and if Taylor is, then we can't pass him up. Geez this kid can cover and deliver the hit. I'll be watching the combines to get glimpes of all these guys.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:39 pm

BossHog wrote:just my opinion... but Taylor is way too good to pass up and there's no way we'd deal down from 5 if he was there.

With the Giants choosing before us though, pretty good chance Taylor might go at #4.

I agree BH that we won't deal down from 5, and I'm scared the Giants will grab Taylor. A lot of mock drafts have the Giants taking Gallery and I hope they do but some are now listing them as taking Taylor. If they take Taylor I might want the Skin's to trade the pick for more pick's if possible.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010