Top Undrafted players list:

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
^^^^^^^

Top Undrafted players list:

Postby frankcal20 » Wed May 02, 2007 1:15 pm

There's still hope for the prospects who didn't hear their names called this weekend. Just ask San Diego TE Antonio Gates, Pittsburgh RB Willie Parker, Carolina QB Jake Delhomme and Indianapolis K Adam Vinatieri -- all current NFL starters.

With that in mind, here's a look at the top 10 free-agent prospects from the 2007 NFL draft class:

1. Kenny Scott, CB, Georgia TechScott is a tall, lean cornerback with very good top-end speed. He displays enough natural tools to develop into a solid sub-package cover corner in the NFL, but also needs a lot of polishing. To reach his full potential, Scott must improve his discipline, becoming stronger and more physical in run support.

2. Rory Johnson, OLB, Mississippi
Although Johnson gets caught out of position far too much and needs to get stronger at the point of attack, he has a good combination of quickness, speed and athletic ability. Johnson is a risk/reward prospect with intriguing upside, but has a questionable mental capacity. At the draft, NFL teams obviously viewed the risk as being greater than the reward.

3. Anthony Arline, CB, Baylor
Arline's lack of speed puts a low ceiling on his NFL potential. He also must improve his ability to read routes and become more effective in run support. That said, Arline has the size, athletic ability and strength to develop into an effective reserve in a scheme (Cover 2) that protects him from playing a lot of man-to-man coverage.

4. Travarous Bain, CB, Hampton
Bain is a developmental prospect with the speed, agility and frame to develop into a sub-package cornerback in the NFL. However, he is raw and his technique needs lots of polishing. He also must add some bulk and strength and become more aggressive in run support.

5. Darius Walker, RB, Notre Dame
Walker is a versatile back who runs with good vision and toughness and displays excellent hands and savvy as a short-to-intermediate receiver. But Walker simply does not possess the physical tools of an NFL starter. Although I expected him to slip out of the first day, I certainly did not think he would drop clear out of the draft. Walker should be considered one of the top free agents on the market right now.

6. Julius Wilson, OT, UAB
Wilson displays some promise as a developmental project. His technique needs polishing, and he commits too many penalties. He also comes with some minor durability issues (knee) after an injury-riddled senior season. However, Wilson's impressive combination of size, power and short-area quickness gives him the potential to make a roster.

7. Tony Taylor, OLB, Georgia
Taylor will struggle when teams run at him, and his knee problems are reason for concern. However, he has the athletic ability, nose for the ball and tenacity to develop into an excellent backup. He has some versatility after playing inside and outside in college, but his best chance of making an NFL roster will come on special teams.

8. Dan Mozes, OC, West Virginia
Mozes made a seamless transition from guard to center in 2005 and continued to improve at the position as a senior in 2006. Few prospects play the game with as much intensity, toughness and instincts, which is why Mozes has been able to maximize his physical tools to this point. However, his lack of ideal size and strength are cause for concern. Mozes should make for a reliable and versatile reserve interior offensive lineman in the NFL, but his physical limitations might prevent him from ever emerging as a solid starter. He will fit well only in a zone-blocking scheme that values mobility over size (Broncos).

9. Nate Harris, ILB, Louisville
Harris has a good combination of size and speed. He also displays solid instincts and flashes big-play ability as a run defender. Unfortunately, Harris comes with a load of baggage, including significant concerns regarding his mental capacity, character, work ethic and maturity that led to his draft weekend free fall. He was benched for inconsistent play during a four-game stretch as a senior and has participated in Division I-A level for only two seasons.

10. Chase Johnson, OT, Wyoming
Johnson needs to get stronger at the point of attack and isn't quick enough to develop into an every-down left tackle at the NFL level. He could emerge as a quality backup at right tackle. Johnson is a blue-collar player who moves well for his size and is one of the more underrated developmental projects in this year's class.

Scouts Inc. watches games, breaks down film and studies football from all angles for ESPN Insider.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed May 02, 2007 1:54 pm

I hope the kid from New Hampshire that broke a whole bunch of Jerry Rice's records gets a chance in the NFL - I think his name is David Ball - I heard an interview that was very informative - would not be surprised to see him on a roster somewhere. :lol:
one should always try to look on the bright side ... especially Redskins fans after the past 20 plus years

things will get better .... hopefully soon

Hail to the Redskins

~~~~~~~~~~

Postby air_hog » Wed May 02, 2007 2:37 pm

Dan Mozes didn't get picked!!

Are you kidding me, he was the lead man for West Virginia's sick running game.

I really hope we pick him up.
joebagadonuts on IsaneBoost's signature:
-- "I laughed. I cried. Better than Cats"

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed May 02, 2007 2:53 pm

I like the fact that he's a versatile lineman. We've got room for guys like that on our roster.

Fire in the Sky

Re: Top Undrafted players list:

Postby SkinsFreak » Wed May 02, 2007 6:36 pm

frankcal20 wrote:3. Anthony Airline, CB, Baylor
Arline's lack of speed puts a low ceiling on his NFL potential. He also must improve his ability to read routes and become more effective in run support. That said, Arline has the size, athletic ability and strength to develop into an effective reserve in a scheme (Cover 2) that protects him from playing a lot of man-to-man coverage.

That kid can fly...

Hog

Postby everydayAskinsday » Thu May 03, 2007 9:30 am

How dumb does the kid out Notre Dame feel right now? leaving early to enter the draft and he doesnt even get picked up.. He should have stayed like everyone else at Notre Dame does.. its pratically tradition there.. you stay through your senior season

Hog

Postby everydayAskinsday » Thu May 03, 2007 9:31 am

also has anyone heard anything on that monster of a kid Thomas? I know we already signed our undrafted FA's but come on that kid deserves at least a look

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu May 03, 2007 9:45 am

everydayAskinsday wrote:How dumb does the kid out Notre Dame feel right now? leaving early to enter the draft and he doesnt even get picked up.. He should have stayed like everyone else at Notre Dame does.. its pratically tradition there.. you stay through your senior season

Whats sad is he probably got advice from his agent and family. And they thought he could get paid. Too bad. Education should come first.

Hog

Postby everydayAskinsday » Thu May 03, 2007 9:57 am

and you know what.. if he had stayed his senior season he probaly would have been drafted in the 08 draft.. I know he can always go back and finish his degree.. but by leaving early he might have ruined any chance of making a career out of football .. agents and greedy familys corrupt these kids.. everythings all about the money

Hog

Re: Top Undrafted players list:

Postby fleetus » Thu May 03, 2007 11:16 am

Kenny Scott signed with Buccaneers

Rory Johnson signed with Packers

Anthony Arline signed by Chargers

Travarous Bain signed with Cardinals

Darius Walker signed with the Bears

Julius Wilson - signed with Dolphins

Tony Taylor - signed by Falcons

Dan Mozes - signed by Vikings

Nate Harris still unsigned

Nate Harris, a Louisville linebacker who served time in a boot camp after being a lookout for an armed robbery in 2002, might have been a late-round selection if not for his background. He went undrafted.

Chase Johnson - signed by Vikings
Build through the draft!

piggie

Postby nuskins » Thu May 03, 2007 3:31 pm

The Saints signed Walter Thomas.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010