NFL network combine coverage.....IMO!

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
aka Evil Hog

NFL network combine coverage.....IMO!

Postby hailskins666 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:53 pm

The NFL Network's coverage of the scouting combine

Well, if you are into interviews with Coaches and GM's, and not much into the combine itself, then this is the show for you.

While they had some really good interviews with NFL team staff members, there wasn't much focus on the actual draftees themselves.

I wanted stats, numbers, and a real focus as to what type of talent was entering the draft. But, we really didn't get that. We got a few shots at the workouts, but no real inside scoops.

As a Skins fan, I did enjoy the interview with Joe Bugel. He was asked a lot of the same things that Joe Gibbs has been asked about returning to football. And, a lot of the same answers were repeated.... "It all comes down to blocking and tackeling, it's still football." Bugel was also asked about O-line prospects. He identified two guys. Robert Gallery, and Shawn Andrews. Gallery is probably one of the top prospects. And, Andrews is really atheletic, and at nearly 400 lbs. Bugel said, "If Andrews could lose weight and get down to around 345 lbs, then he would be something to deal with". Those aren't light words, coming from the guy who coached "The Hogs".

There were also interviews with Rich McKay, the Atlanta GM. There was an interview with Maurice Clarett.... for all of five seconds, about him working out later. Maurice Carthon, who is a Dallas Cowboys Coach, spoke about his son, Ran Carthon, a Running Back from the University of Florida.

There was a segment where Dick Vermeil(Kansas City Chiefs Head Coach) interviewed Herm Edwards, a former player(Eagles), and now Head Coach of the New York Jets. As always Herm, has all the right answers at all the right time. Herm said something that stuck out in my mind, "It is a previlage, not a right to play in the NFL"....Maurice Clarett, take note here young man, you could learn a lot.

The players who did get coverage, were the ones in the spotlight already. They were the ones you had already heard about. Not the ones i wanted to see. I wanted the inside look, and we just didn't get that.

The biggest(no pun intended) guy who got some of the spotlight was Robert Gallery. Make no mistake people, this guy is the real deal, and deserves the hype. He will be a great Offensive Lineman. We did get a look at the 10 yd times on the O-linemen, being they rarely run for 40 yds anyway. This was one of the few stats we got to see.

Robert Gallery 1.68
Jake Scott 1.68
Chris Snee 1.68
Scott Jackson 1.69
Josh Sewell 1.69

There was a VERY small segment on the Running Backs. A few guys turned some heads in the 40 yd dash. Here are some of the top times. Most of these guys are expected to be second round picks or later.

Tatum Bell 4.37
Julius Jones 4.40
Ran Carthon 4.40
Josh Davis 4.53
Rich Alexis 4.62

Like I said earlier, it just wasn't what I personally was hoping for. While there's only so much you can do in an hours time, I really was hoping that most of that hour would be focused on the players, not what certain teams were looking for.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:26 am

They'll probably do some ironing out between this year and next - ESPN was buggy in the early times :)
Rich in Roanoke

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:32 am

yea, i'm not too disappointed. the network is still new. they had a few shots of the workouts, a few shots of guys performing in college games. but mostly, nothing more than an interview session with coaches and gm's. hopefully they'll improve on it. but like i was saying, there's only so much they could cover in an hour. maybe by year 2, they'll have a little more on the players themselves.
THN's resident jerk.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:58 pm

so true... it's like the 360 cam at the SB... how long did it take to progress to the level of watching playbacks Matrix style?

Trust me - by the third or fourth combine there will be more coverage on it then all but the most rabid of fans can handle.
Rich in Roanoke

piggie

Postby HogInBlacksburg » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:27 pm

I agree T6. It was kind of a letdown. They spent most of the time telling us about the combine instead of the results of what's going on. We already know why they are there and what most of the teams need. I wanted to see more of what the scouts ARE seeing, not what they want to look for.

Some of the interviews are cool. I was under the impression it was going to be more like the NFL Draft...not just an hour recap of the days events. They probably don't realize how many fans would actually watch it if they had full coverage. :D

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:35 am

Yeah I was looking forward to some sort of breakdown by position on who impressed. The little bit they did show of players was okay I wish there had been more.

Robert Gallery was scary. I wonder if he can play Guard?
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:42 am

They have been showing way to many GMs, Coaches, Scouts, and Fat guys sitting in the stands or walking around with cups of coffee. I enjoy a good interview as much as the next guy but would love to see some prospects going through the paces. Hope later this week and next year it gets better.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

Hog

Postby curveball » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:13 pm

It doesn't appear as though they've done a good job recognizing their target audience.

The average fan isn't going to tune in for the combine, but that's who most of the shows seem directed at.

The hardcore fan who's watching isn't real impressed.
This space reserved for BTP......If he ever wins it.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:33 pm

i have to admit, as the positions get more popular, the coverage gets better. the WR's nad QB's got way more coverage than the OL and RB's. total acess is covering a little footage on the combine too. but still, you don't really get any stats laid down for you, but at least you get an inside shot. i can live with it while the network grows, but, i just hope they get better FAST.... like next year fast.
THN's resident jerk.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:13 am

I'm hearing the G-Men love Gallery and are set to take him at 4
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:19 am

DEHog wrote:I'm hearing the G-Men love Gallery and are set to take him at 4

What's not to like about this kid. Big, Strong and fast.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010