Sean Taylor and the number 5 pick

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
piggie

Sean Taylor and the number 5 pick

Postby cjpck44 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:32 am

Now that we've gotten Mark Brunell and Portis signed up, with all the FA's we're expecting to go after and get, does anyone really think we'll use the 5th pick. I watched Sean Taylor in a few games and the man was awesome, was everywhere in his bowl game. But I'm thinking with all the cap room we'll be using for free agents are they going to be able to pay someone 5th slot pay? I think it's pretty definite that we're trading down. And I hated giving up Champ (though he was going anyway), but having Smoot, Winfield (maybe Springs), Bowen and Taylor back there would be pretty dang good. Anyway, food for thought.
Touchdown, Washington Redskins...

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:30 am

I agree that trading the pick is likely but yes Taylor would be awsome.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

swine

Postby Smurfskin » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:38 am

I agree that Taylor would be awesome, but that's going to be a lot of money to pay for a Safety...still, I'd hate to see us pass on such an impact player (and Lord knows, we need some impact on defense).

I think we'll see the pick traded off for a lower first and something in the 2nd/3rd. If so, we need to stock up on as much defenseive help as we can get (D-line especially).
Smurf

---------

Postby redskins56 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:04 am

No matter where he ends up Sean Taylor is going to be a monster. But we are going to trade down, solidifying the fact that we won't get him. Even if we were still in the 5th slot come draft day, there are way too many holes on this team than to draft a safety, where we already have two very capable safety's.

Lets not forget, what Bowen and Ohelate did last season was terrific, and the amazing thing is they were both in their first year's as full time starters. They'll both be good for a long time, and we should work on sureing up our D-line.

-Geepz

piggie

Postby cjpck44 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:35 am

I do like Bowens and Ohalate, but just think Taylor's going to be special. And when you've got one of the top five picks you'd like to get that "blue-chipper". At least trading down will make for some fun on draft day. I hate to just watch the first hour of the draft and then say that was fun, guess I'll join Ditka on the golf course.

So I guess if we get the Freak or Winstrom that drafting Ukeze is out. So is it Harris or Wilfork in the draft? Or do we try to move down a couple of times to the end of the draft and take a Darnell Dockett?

swine

Postby Smurfskin » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:44 am

Man, I sure hope we go for Winstrom over Kearse! Kearse's injury record and price tag scare me!!

If we trade down, I like Wilfork for the D-line for a first pick, and then best-of-the rest D-lineman with the extra pick we would get. Work the CB, LB, and DE issues through free agency. We should be pretty much set on D at that point.
Smurf

piggie

Postby cjpck44 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:51 am

I like Winstrom too, seems like Gibbs' type of player without the huge price tag and injury concern. There's got to be some reason the Titans wouldn't even make him a transition player.

I like Wilfork too, from everything I've read he's huge and hard to move. Him and sign maybe Rod Coleman, Springs and Winstrom would definately help.

It's still hard after watching that bowl game, I think Taylor had 4 plays in a row where he was knocking balls and running backs down to send the offense to the sidelines personally. He looked real good.

~~~~~~~~

Postby ii7-V7 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:57 am

Sorry Guys, I don't think that Wistrom is a possibility any longer.....though I can't remember who he signed with.

Chad

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:20 am

I haven't heard anything about Winstrom signing...I like this guys motor...and would like to see him in B&G. I read this morning that we were interested in the top FA saftey out there...Deion Grant of the Panters? Anyone know anything about this guy?
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010