Should we scratch Sean Taylor?

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:19 pm

Lott? True - but once again - he made the plays on the WR after they caught the d*mn ball. Or on the RBs after they ran through the line and linebackers.

Put the line there that can scare QBs all day and your average safeties become very good safeties and everyone forgets the blue collar line in front of Taylor in NY.

Lets talk runners and lines - people have claimed Portis ain't that hot cause a good OL pushed bad DL around. The Raiders, the Chiefs, etc. - Sorry - I didn't see them signing safeties. Ted Washington at the Raiders, and I think the Chiefs were getting someone.

The Seahawks got Wistrom cause they needed a pash rush, they didn't go out and get Brock Marion.

Without an OL the QB and RB are useless.

Without a DL the same can be said of the defense.

Every football defensive expert talks about their line play and are adamant about putting the talent there. And the guys I am reading are ex Superbowl winning DCs...

They all talk one thing - pass rushing run stopping defensive lines. They open the holes for blitzers, they cause bad passes, they force fumbles, they improve secondaries.

There is not one coach I have read that hasn't said something to that effect.
Rich in Roanoke

piggie

Postby HogInBlacksburg » Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:37 pm

skinsfaninroanoke wrote:

Without looking them up, can you name any of our safeties on the three superbowl teams and tell me if any were Pro Bowl? Not being nasty, just trying to prove a point....

Now then - who were our DLinemen? :)

I can name all but one or two at the most. I can't remember for the life of me the names of the safeties - I have educated guesses, but I don't know for sure...

Does Alvin Walton ring a bell?

I agree that D-line is priority #1 but, Sean Taylor is too good to pass up..imo. He's awesome. I just don't see a can't miss Dlineman in the draft. Taylor can contribute immediately. My 2 cents

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:38 pm

According to SportingNews' mock draft - this is what they have to say

7 Browns Sean Taylor S Miami, Fla. 6th

(-1) 6/8
With Gallery and Winslow off the board, the Browns would select Taylor. This assumes he improves on his poor Feb. 28 workout; he ran a disappointing 4.53 40-yard dash and appeared out of shape.

Oh - and out of 90+ draft boards - only 18 now have Taylor - most have a DLineman. They have been updated - before it was about 1/2 Taylor, 1/4 Winslow, 1/8th Jones, 1/8th DL
Rich in Roanoke

~~~~

Postby ANT7088 » Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:16 pm

redskins56 wrote:it's official, scratch him off of the wish list. Any chance we had of getting him vanished when we gave the Broncos the second rounder for Champ, because that ensured that we are going to trade down for more picks...

He's going to be very good, yes, but we have two respectbale starters. We need d-lineman, which is what we'll get.

-Geepz

Exactly my point, you explained it better. I want Taylor but we have bigger needs. I'm more pissed we have to face Kearse twice a year. We won't have to face Taylor twice a year anyway. The Giants aren't taken him & he won't be available for The Eagles or Cowboys.
AnTsSkInZ

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:24 pm

I think we want the same thing! An improved defence and any pressure would be nice considering recent performances.
We just lost CB but Springs and Smoot should be good with an overall better defence! The tackling by our players (and the league) was horrible last year.
I just think that ST should not be ruled out until we see what else develops between now and 4/24.
The June f/a's are another opportunity that I'm sure are being factored in by those that keep up with this stuff.
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 3 ... 27-21

~~~~

Postby ANT7088 » Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:33 pm

Once again, I'm gonna stress this, would you rather have a crap DL, 1 great safety & 2 decent safety's OR a GREAT DL and to decent safety's. Anyone that know's anything knows the right answer. Bowen & Ohalete would have been better last year if our DL was better, we had NO pressure and QB's had all day to find a mismatch, eventually a WR will get away from a Safety and make a play (they are not the fastest guys on the field or they would be CBs) thats why Bowen & Ohalete always got burned. Lets not forget Gregg Williams is running the defense now, not George Edwards. Bowen & Ohalete will be better just because of that.
AnTsSkInZ

swine

Postby silent1903 » Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:43 pm

There is another safety coming along next year who the experts say would hand Taylor his lunch - I heard it on one of the radio shows before Boss got on there... not the same show, but the archive is gone....

So what? Who's to say that we get him next year? You're suggesting passing on Taylor because there's someone better next year? Personally I am hoping we get the no.32 pick next year, not the no.1.

piggie

Postby cjpck44 » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:24 pm

Man I'm still stuck on the safeties of our last 3 superbowl teams. We had Brad Edwards and Danny Copeland on the last one, Alvin Walton and ?? And I don't remember the safeties against Miami at all. (My mom would be slapping me around right now for my lack of knowledge.)

However, Dexter Manly (Mr. Clean his bell, Ring his Clock). and Charles Mann were on some great teams. Charles Mann and Fred Stokes, "Jumpy Geathers" with the forklift move, Butz and the big Daryl Grant, you can sure remember some lineman.

Who were our safeties in 83?
Touchdown, Washington Redskins...

Hog

Postby Redskins4Life » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:45 pm

SkinsFanInRoanoke....

About Taylors "bad combine", honestly I dont really fault him too much for coming to the combine out of shape. This last year, I played WR on my football team and during the season I maintained my weight, trained hard, and watched what I ate. As soon as football season was over I ate chips, soda, pizza and other junk. If I was a college player getting ready for the combine, I wouldn't necessarily do that, but I wouldnt try to keep my self in tip top shape either. Unless I was a 350 lb. D-Lineman trying to trim 20 lbs. I wouldnt slave over my weight, speed, health etc. The important thing is that when football season begins your in good shape, and when training camp begins Taylor will be back to his normal 4.44 speed, 20 bench rep. self. He will be a special player from day 1 in the league, and its not fair to judge him by one workout.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:15 pm

My personal opinion when I played LB was that I didn't want to start from closer to scratch than closer to polished.

I always was in the weight room working on my pyramids and kept myself in shape. I don't understand why all those hours don't mean anything to someone who supposedly wants to be the best.

Not cutting anyone - just my opinion - I don't understand how you can be in top shape then camp on the couch for months, then have to work much harder to get back to it when it is so easy to maintain.

Besides - we are talking two months and if drops from top 5 to top 10 he can lose millions... I don't get it...
Rich in Roanoke

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:21 pm

Mann, Manley, Butz, Grant, Jumpy, Tim Johnson, Fred Stokes - those are names we all remember... notice how for the first two SB they pretty much remained the same - in fact didn't they pretty much remain the same except for Manley the whole of the 80's?

But you notice how the safties changed all the time?

the system with a core line that gets the job done well and disrupts the passing game and destroys the running game will improve the back 7. ALMOST nothing a safety can do will improve the pass rush.
Rich in Roanoke

Aussie Hog

Postby Amberion » Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:07 pm

Has anybody thought that Sean may not be available by pick #5

Just because you think that we need a safety then the best safety will automatically be available to us seems a bit optimistic
I am Grey: I stand between the candle and the star.
We are Grey: We stand between the darkness and the light

+++++++

Postby Wysocki » Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:20 pm

Williams can "hide" or help out the corners by mixing and matching schemes or giving different looks, etc. We have to get pressure on the QB from the line (and not relying on blitzes all the time) - so we need to draft a DE, not a DB. We should get the best one since 2 QBs, 1 WR, and 1 Tackle will probably be taken in the first 4 picks.
I'm just stirrin' the pot and living in the '70s.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010