What to do..

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
piglet

What to do..

Postby BRO » Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:05 pm

"Washington will have only its first-round draft pick -- No. 5 overall -- remaining if it gets Butler."

If we get Butler than we only have one pick in the draft(#5 overall). what do we do???:

-Trade down for more picks
-Keep # 5 and possibly get an all-star
-Pray that we dont get Butler
-Maybe trade a player for some draft picks (Gardner??...moving McCants to the #2 spot)

piggie

Postby The Skins Fan » Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:12 pm

Simple...Take your #5 pick and draft Winslow Jr. with it to get Pro Bowl calibur player and sign him to multi-year deal and then you use FA to fill the remaining spots to fill. Then you sign yourself a boatload non-drafted free agents and bring them to camp and let them battle and I'll betcha that they'll be several non-drafted free agents who can and will be big time contributors.
Hail to the Redskins...Hail Victory!!!

Hog

Postby SirSmizzy » Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:45 pm

Trade down....

get mulitple picks and you can still get a damn good player at 20 and in the second and 3rd rounds....you don't need to draft at 5...there is no guarantee that a top 5 pick is going to be better than the 154th....there are no guarantees in the nfl.

I think Gibbs could really do good things with a couple more picks....snyder gave him all the FA's he wanted,so you know gibbs has a plan and its already in the works...

Now let him tap the draft pool...the guy knows talent and he knows how to get talent out of "potential"...so to deny him more picks is a bad idea in my book.

He can get 1 guy at 5 or he can trade down take the 25th pick just say and add a 3rd and a 5th...im sure that he can nail down 3 quality player.
Welcome Home Coles

swine

Postby CrazyLikeAFox87 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:03 pm

SirSmizzy wrote:Trade down....
get mulitple picks and you can still get a damn good player at 20 and in the second and 3rd rounds....you don't need to draft at 5...there is no guarantee that a top 5 pick is going to be better than the 154th....there are no guarantees in the nfl.

Of course there are no guarantees from the draft, but it's a question of the odds, and likelihood of success. You are more likely to get a stud at #5 than #154....are you saying we may as well take #154 than #5? Your comment is like saying "there is no such thing as an easy question, you either know it or you don't". It's rubbish. An easy question is "who is the President of the USA", virtually everyone knows. A hard question is "what is the population of Mexico City....and name them". Which would you take?
Taylor is going to be an impact player at #5 and will raise the level of the whole defense....I say take him even if no more draft picks.
Also, who would you have, a proven CB (Butler) or a 5th round pick? What is the likelihood of a 5th round CB making the team? Hey, we used our 5th round pick to draft Butler, a good nickel back and part-time #2 CB....that was a successful pick don't you think?

Hog

Postby skins#1fan » Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:15 pm

Simple...Take your #5 pick and draft Winslow Jr. with it to get Pro Bowl calibur player and sign him to multi-year deal and then you use FA to fill the remaining spots to fill
...........I couldnt agree more "skins fan" winslow would benefit us right away and since there arent any other tight ends out that at his level and there are still some safeties and dt in the fa market we could try to get them

Hog

Postby NJ SKINSFAN » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:11 pm

I think we should keep the #5 pick and draft the best defensive player available who can make an immediate impact. Gibbs uses tight ends mostly for blocking and the offense looks pretty good. Defense wins championships :!:
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Hog

Postby SirSmizzy » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:59 pm

CrazyLikeAFox87 wrote:
SirSmizzy wrote:Trade down....

Of course there are no guarantees from the draft, but it's a question of the odds, and likelihood of success. You are more likely to get a stud at #5 than #154....are you saying we may as well take #154 than #5? Your comment is like saying "there is no such thing as an easy question, you either know it or you don't". It's rubbish. An easy question is "who is the President of the USA", virtually everyone knows. A hard question is "what is the population of Mexico City....and name them". Which would you take?
Taylor is going to be an impact player at #5 and will raise the level of the whole defense....I say take him even if no more draft picks.
Also, who would you have, a proven CB (Butler) or a 5th round pick? What is the likelihood of a 5th round CB making the team? Hey, we used our 5th round pick to draft Butler, a good nickel back and part-time #2 CB....that was a successful pick don't you think?
??????

My point was trade down...you will still have a 1st round pick and you can add a late 2nd and/or 3rd.
Welcome Home Coles

Joe's#1Fan

Postby gibbsfan » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:04 pm

i,m sticking to my guns here.i,m trading down in the 1st round. i would look toward getting more picks.
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

Postby JPFair » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:10 pm

I say he should draft the Jakester with the Number 5 pick. Hire him as a consultant.
Sit back and watch the Redskins.

SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!

swine

Postby CrazyLikeAFox87 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:33 am

The other issue is that we are fast running out of $. How many draft picks will we be able to sign? Obviously a #5 overall will cost more than a late 1st rounder but more than 3 picks?

Hog

Postby tx_skins_fan » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:50 am

I think we should trade the pick to New England for a #1 and #2. We can get a DE and a TE, and we'll be good to go. Gibbs said he likes to go with undrafted free agents too, so there's no telling what he will do.
oops....sorry!

Joe's#1Fan

Postby gibbsfan » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:18 am

JPFair wrote:I say he should draft the Jakester with the Number 5 pick. Hire him as a consultant.

now thats a real good idea. great things will happen then with joe and the jake.
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:20 am

Trade down and get DT Starks and TE Watson
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

piggie

Postby LetsRollBurgundyNGold » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:09 pm

I'd like to see if they'll make a pick-up for a safety in free agency. If they do, trading down would be the move to make, Troupe and Watson would still be a available with an acquired 2nd round pick, and a potential D-Lineman with the first...If they don't make a FA move, then I'd keep the pick and take Taylor, who would seem to be a good pick for the 46 scheme that Williams would employ...

While Winslow is a great talent, he just doesn't strike me as the kind of blocker that would fit Joe's offense... He is a *&%*&$*^ soldier tho, lol.
Two formation shifts, one man in motion, and a counter trey...those were the days...

Hog

Postby oafusp » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:16 pm

I think the Skins should donate the #5 pick to the Cardinals, and maybe if we do that we could get a deduction for our salary cap...

Kinda like making a donation to Goodwill, it is tax deductible.

:) just playin
burp.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010