Winslow or Taylor....its really a toss up either way.

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog

Winslow or Taylor....its really a toss up either way.

Postby skin_to_the_bone » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:38 am

With the free agent signings and trades our beloved Coach and staff have provided for us... things look great on paper, and I truely believe that things are only looking up from here. Our offense will be an absolute force to recon with, now that we have 2 solid qbs, a horse in a running back, Raymer back at Center, and a recieving corps that could end up being the envy of the league. Our defense, yet still spotty in areas is certainly on the incline and our special teams just got beefed up by signing one of the leagues best punters ever.

So here's the debate: Winslow or Taylor? Ofcourse we need to fill in the depleted depth in our backfield after losing Champ, and Springs (possibly Butler too) should fill in nicely. Picking Taylor would more than likely move Bowen to his natural SS postion and give us a great backfiled or a potentially great one. He is compared to the likes of Ronnie Lott and Roy Williams from "Tunatown" and they are saying that we won't see safeties like him that often, BUT do we take him or do we do what Gibbs is notorious for in the past: Offense.

Winslow is hands down the best TE the draft has to offer, there are a couple that stand a chance at stardum but nothing like what he has to offer. Picking Winslow gives us another down field threat and he can take one for the team over the middle at anytime. His father's name speaks for itself in the Shrines of Canton, and his tutor (Shockey) taught him all the tricks he knew as well. Many believe, in the right offense,he will be better than Shockey. I happen to be one of them.

The last couple years I used to always say if we had a kicker and better special teams we would win all of those heartbreaking losses by less than 3 points which seemed to become satus quo for us after Gibbs left town. We signed John Hall and he made an impressive impact, yet our penalties and lack of finsihing games off killed us last year. Noone ever lived up to the legacy and commitment that Coach Gibbs brought to us every day. His offensive genius could really prosper again having Rasby as our blocking TE and Winslow to add to the recieving corps of Coles,Gardner,Jacobs, and McCants or simply use him as a blocking decoy. It would send oppsosing defenses into fits especially when it would add even more of a threat with Portis coming straight at them.

I say sign Favors or Brandon Short and go to the 3-4 defense and try to get a Safety either via trade or sign a dependable defensive back to fill the void and draft Winslow. Afterall bringing back Gibbs and Bugel by his side will almost certainly make up for all of the offensive line penalties we created last year and make the "complete" offense that much better. And with Williams running the defensive end of the ball he has always been able to make players perform more than expected. Ofcourse he's had great defenses too, but his gameplan is outstanding.

I think we have the best of both world here, because no matter who we chose between the two Hurricanes or even Harris or Udeze we will be that much better in '04. I see the NFC East becoming the powerhouse of the NFL again and the Skins on the way to the top fast. Go Skins! :twisted:

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:57 am

what a great dilima to be in.... winslow or taylor? two of the best athletes the draft has to offer, and we will have a shot to land one or the other. i personally am in the taylor camp, but would still be thrilled if we got winslow. i think udeze may be a possibility, although a slight one.
i say taylor for a couple reasons. first, it's gonna make the secondary stronger. also we already have a TE who can block in rasby, and one that can definantly catch(if he gets his act together) in chamberlain. we have good depth at TE. but we don't at saftey. therefore i say taylor would be the best pick.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Postby sfatrotterfan » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:59 am

I don't see how the Cardinals can pass on Roethlisberger. With McCown at quaterback they can't possibly think they can even make the playoffs. They already have a great young reciever in Boldin, but not a QB to make plays.If Fitzgerald or Williams is still availible then the pick would definately be valueable enough to trade.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:23 am

dennis green seems to be very high on mccown, said he wasn't going to draft a QB. during nfl networks combine coverage, he seemed very high on sean taylor too..... unfortuantly
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

~~~~

Postby ANT7088 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:34 am

hailskins666 wrote:dennis green seems to be very high on mccown, said he wasn't going to draft a QB. during nfl networks combine coverage, he seemed very high on sean taylor too..... unfortuantly

I can't see that happening, only because they signed Dexter Jackson last year.
AnTsSkInZ

---------

Postby redskins56 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:53 am

Whatever way you look at it, if it comes down to us getting either Taylor or Winslow, and we aren't trading down... We would take Sean Taylor...

K2 is going to be good for a long time, but we need a safety, and we have five tight ends on the roster already, three of which have been starters before, and could challenge for the job at camp...

-Geepz

Hog

Postby skins75 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:15 am

I dont care what JG is saying we are probably going to trade down. We still need an additonal DE and DT. If we trade with Houston and pu additonal picks we can add the players needed and a supposed playmaker in Udezie. I didnt watch alot of USC games but from what I hear he was in the opponents backfield almost as much as their own QB. We need a pass rushing DE and a big DT that can plug the middle. Of course this is all speculation because they havent made any moves regarding obtaining a safety either. Who knows. IMHO although it would be great to have Taylor I think we need to trade down.

Hog

Postby skin_to_the_bone » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:28 am

The whole key is that we are "golden either way". Wether we select Winslow, Taylor, Harris, Udeze or 2nd teir prospects out of the draft... we are right where we want to be. There is discussions with several different players still via free agency and we could have a 3-4 defense next year or have some serious depth in our linebacker corp. We have had talks with Favors, Short and will be meeting with Holdman and possibly Garderner and Sapp. All of those names sound good to me, although Sapp would be a far cry to come here because of his demands in salary, besides I'd rather lock up Garderner and Holdman for the same price of just getting Sapp.

As for the TE's on our roster Chamberlain was a very good TE in his hayday is that time over, who know's? Rasby is a great addition and between having Z and Royal we might already have those peices at a good prices, I might add. Bringing in Winslow is almost a sure bet to stardum, but you really can't say til it happens. I think he would prosper well in our offensive scheme.

Taylor, Harris , and Udeze would all be great aquisitions as well. I am exicited about the draft because I really feel its going to be one of those 4 and if we do trade down and get one of them, then we really make out. That could certainly happen (getting one of them after trading down) considerin that there are 3 WR projected to go in the top 10 and then you have Rothisberger and Manning, Gallery, Winslow, Harris, Udeze, Taylor, and a couple of CB's that are making there way to the top of the crop. If we trade out of the top ten we probably won't see one of the 4 we coviet but we'd still fill gaps that need to be addresses with talent.

Hog

Postby hkHog » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:03 pm

Winslow is a fantastic player, but so is Taylor and we need an impact player on defense. If we go with Taylor we are arguably getting the best player and filling our needs at the same time. Wow, I just had a thought. The NFC East is going to be the best division by far but if we get Taylor look at the safeties in our league; Taylor, Williams, and Dawkins! I think Dawkins is not only the best Safety in the league but one of the best players, period. Always makes huge plays at the right time. A friend of mine from Philly rates him as the best player on the team above McNabb and Westbrook. And everyone knows about RW in Dallas. Could Taylor be the best? I hope we have a chance to find out!

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010