Sam Bradford?

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog

Postby fleetus » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:19 am

SkinsJock wrote:
The Hogster wrote:Last year I was relieved when the Jets got Sanchez. This year I will be relieved if the Rams get Bradford. Our line was awful last year even when Samuels was in the game. Now we've lost him also and the line will get anyone killed. I like Okung at 4 and Saffold or Ducasse in the 2nd.
If we could acquire another 2nd - we could address the QB position if Shanahan likes any of the 2nd round guys like: Lefevour, McCoy, etc.

Let's get all the quotes out early -

"Campbell will look great behind an OK line"
"we should just rebuild the offensive line, any QB will be fine"

I could care less about another OK QB - Campbell and Grossman are "OK QBs" too :lol:

being this close to a QB that is as good as this is just a shame - we'll be able to look back in future years and say - "we really sucked in 2009 but it might have been better if we'd been a little bit worse cause then we could have drafted Bradford" :shock:

I'm not going to go out on a limb and say Bradford will not live up to expectations, but I will say, the odds are not really with him. Bradford is over-rated. Now before all you Kiper Kool Aid drinkers get bent out of shape, let me explain.

Is Bradford a very good QB prospect? Yes.

Is Bradford worth the #1 overall pick? No.

This is a QB poor draft compared to most years. There is not a QB who is universally graded high enough, regardless of position, to be a top 5 pick. Right now, we are seeing what happens every year with QB's in the draft, they start rising up the boards. This is due to the importance of the position, the lack of quality QB's available and teams that become a little more desperate to find a QB after not finding one in free agency.

Bradford just had his Pro Day and everyone is raving about it, saying it solidifies him as the #1. That's fine. But Pro Days are rarely bad for QB's. They throw in shorts, with no pressure, to WR's in shorts, who aren't covered by anyone. It is a glorified game of catch. One of the most prominent scouts in the NFL said just yesterday, "yeah, well Jemarcus Russel had probably the best Pro Day of any QB in history" and look where that got him.

So, while bradford may work out fine, I think he will have an uphill climb to handle the #1 draft hype, learn an NFL offense (coming from a college spread offense) work behind the STL O-line and throw to the STL WR's. There are 5 or 6 players who I think have a better chance to become a Pro Bowler than Bradford in this years draft class. I think there are 15-20 players better than Claussen in this years draft class. Too many to say, but probably 30-50 better than Tebow and Colt McCoy. I hope we draft Okung 1st, if he is available at #4 (which is no guarantee since Detroit also likes him.)
Build through the draft!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:57 am

brad7686 wrote:
Manchester_Redskin wrote:If defenses are smart they will test that arm out by dumping him on it a few times

yea i'll really be happy if they avoid Bradford. I see no reason he can't be a good qb. I just have reservations about the competition he faced, the fact his team was so good, and most importantly that his throwing shoulder could crumble at any moment

I hope we don't live to regret it, but I agree there are too many questions about him. If we do pick him I'll support the team, but I am hoping the Rams take him and end it.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:59 am

Manchester_Redskin wrote:If defenses are smart they will test that arm out by dumping him on it a few times

It's ridiculous have vastly his injury was overblown. First of all, it wasn't even that serious. He didn't tear his labrum or his his rotator cuff, which would have been much more severe injuries. He didn't tear a ligament, but insteadhad a sprained AC joint, which is in the back of the shoulder. Secondly, he isn't a fragile. He fell awkwardly on his shoulder and pretty much any quarterback would have been injured on that play. Thirdly, there are qb's in the league that have had much more sever shoulder injuries, such as Drew Brees, who had his entire shoulder reconstructed. I'd say he's doing pretty well after that injury.
Suck and Luck

Postby djactionman » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:49 pm

Colt McCoy completed every pass at his pro day. So the ppl that are so wowed by Sam Bradford's might see that scripted pro day completions aren't always that big of a deal.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:12 pm

I don't know... McCoy's accuracy has always been one of his selling points. I don't know that it changes a thing.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:18 pm

I think that for Gil Brandt to say that in his opinion Bradford looks like he will be a very good QB is really a very big deal

I don't think that Bradford should be the #1 overall draft pick BUT I do think we should take him at 4 no matter who else is available :lol:

I also do not want to try and trade up for him either
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 3 ... 27-21

Postby djactionman » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:09 pm

I wasn't saying it changed anything, I just saw posts all over the net that Bradford is now Johnny Unitas or something because he only had one drop at a pro day.

Hog

Postby fleetus » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:11 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I think that for Gil Brandt to say that in his opinion Bradford looks like he will be a very good QB is really a very big deal

I don't think that Bradford should be the #1 overall draft pick BUT I do think we should take him at 4 no matter who else is available :lol:

Brandt also told Holmgren if he drafts McCoy and runs the West Coast offense, he would make them forget about Joe Montana. you have to take these comments with a grain of salt. Although, I do like McCoy quite a bit.
Build through the draft!

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:59 am

There is a reason why so many people are high on Bradford, and I think the Redskins would be crazy to pass on him if they can get him. A strategic mistake.

I've watched a little bit of him .. and he is accurate, has a big arm, and a quick release. He really does get the ball out in a hurry. He also makes those misdirection throws that second tier talents don't make, which indicates good vision of the field, and a good tactician.

I know the need is great on the O-line, and the safer bet is there ... and the greater risk is with the QB, but the payoff is much greater over the long haul if you pick the right QB.

Problem is, the Redskins need both. You're going nowhere without a franchise QB, so if one is there, you gotta take the risk, unless you think Brennan has a shot to be the guy.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:27 am

RayNAustin wrote:Problem is, the Redskins need both. You're going nowhere without a franchise QB, so if one is there, you gotta take the risk, unless you think Brennan has a shot to be the guy.

We have a QB, and we no longer have a 2nd round pick

Mike Shanahan a veteran quarterback to build around rather than use their top pick on one of the underclassmen who might take years to develop.
Left offensive tackle Russell Okung is now the likely pick for the Redskins, as the team hopes to rebuild their depleted offensive line.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:35 am

<<< Checks date... yup, it's that time of year...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:39 am

first letter of each sentence :wink:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:00 am

Too obvious haha
Suck and Luck

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:36 pm

fleetus wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:I think that for Gil Brandt to say that in his opinion Bradford looks like he will be a very good QB is really a very big deal

Brandt also told Holmgren if he drafts McCoy and runs the West Coast offense, he would make them forget about Joe Montana. you have to take these comments with a grain of salt. Although, I do like McCoy quite a bit.

totally agree - both Brandt and Holmgren also thought the Redskins should take Bradford but if he's gone we should take Okung - I like the way these guys think - almost makes me feel like I know what I'm talking about :shock:
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 3 ... 27-21

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:54 am

SkinsJock wrote:
fleetus wrote:

totally agree - both Brandt and Holmgren also thought the Redskins should take Bradford but if he's gone we should take Okung - I like the way these guys think - almost makes me feel like I know what I'm talking about :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010