4th pick in 2010

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.

Who should the Redskins pick 4th in the draft?

Sam Bradford
6%
Eric Berry
4%
C.J. Spiller
9%
Russell Okung
81%

Total votes : 47
^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:04 pm

What hole is he supposed to run through? Can't do much with no holes. Most of our runs this year were for around 2 yds w/ RB's blasting through the holes and falling forward. It had nothing to do with quickness.

But I really do LOVE Spiller as a RB/WR in the NFL. I'm very happy to see him leave Clemson b/c I'm an NC State fan and he's tore us up, along with everyone else, for years.

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:33 pm

The best, and smartest thing for us to do would be to trade down and aquire more picks as this is a rather deep draft. If we do keep this pick, Okung is probably the way to go....If we do use it on a QB, please let it be Claussen and not Bradford.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:41 pm

PAPDOG67 wrote:The best, and smartest thing for us to do would be to trade down and aquire more picks as this is a rather deep draft. If we do keep this pick, Okung is probably the way to go....If we do use it on a QB, please let it be Claussen and not Bradford.

If, somehow, Suh is there at 4, we will have no problem finding a team to partner up with... for beaucoups picks. If not... gotta be Okung.
Last edited by Countertrey on Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby BurgundyandGoldfaith » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:54 pm

I have to say that while I agree with the Best Player Available theory(Orakpo over Oher) I think we should take Okung and get arguably the BPA but also get it at a position of great need. Unless Suh is there, because that D-line would instantly dominate the NFC East. A thing of Legends, I tell you.

This is probably why Snyder couldn't keep his hands off. It's the real fantasy football

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:37 pm

frankcal20 wrote:Personally, I know I tend to see the Silver Lining too often with this team and JC but I think it's a good way to live life.

I'm with you on this. If we don't have our "qb of the future" next year, I think Campbell is as good or better than any free agents we might bring in.

Russell Okung would be a good pick, but he is not your traditional War Daddy offensive lineman in the top 5. He's the best of a bad bunch of lineman in this draft.

I keep reading about Shanahan needing smaller, faster offensive linemen for his blocking scheme. Does Okung fit this? Does it matter?

Hog

Postby Wahoo McDaniels » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:55 pm

I'm not going to be so fast to so that we should go Okung. I agree with Charlie Casserly's analysis on the Sports Junkies 2 days ago. He said that he would lean towards an O-Lineman but he would he emphasized that you have to be sure of your pick. You have a lot of holes on the team and the 4th pick has to fill one of those holes. If you don't have an O-Lineman that grades out as a can't miss, then you don't draft him, and you attempt to trade down. However, if you see a QB who's available and can't miss, you grab him regardless of whatever needs you have.

The point being, fill a hole, regardless of what it is at 4....but you better be certain. And then Charlie had to do it....he had to mention the Heath Shuler miss and how it pretty much buried Norv.

Finally, in an interesting turn, he said this pick isn't the most important of Shanahan's 5 yr run as the coach and chief decision maker...it's next year's pick.

Oh, and he doesn't see Campbell coming back.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:01 pm

PAPDOG67 wrote:The best, and smartest thing for us to do would be to trade down and aquire more picks as this is a rather deep draft. If we do keep this pick, Okung is probably the way to go....If we do use it on a QB, please let it be Claussen and not Bradford.

Of course we should be open to that. But it's dependent on OTHER teams as well. Trades are trades between teams. One team can't "trade down for more picks." Another team needs to want to trade up. It depends on who's available and what team wants him. And what they'll give us for it and if it makes sense. Your plan can't be to get lucky. EVERYONE talks about trading down for more picks. Trading up happens on draft day when someone you want is on the board.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:17 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:

Of course we should be open to that. But it's dependent on OTHER teams as well. Trades are trades between teams. One team can't "trade down for more picks." Another team needs to want to trade up. It depends on who's available and what team wants him. And what they'll give us for it and if it makes sense. Your plan can't be to get lucky. EVERYONE talks about trading down for more picks. Trading up happens on draft day when someone you want is on the board.

And you're worried someone with a higher pick is going to take him before you can.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:48 pm

BurgundyandGoldfaith wrote:I have to say that while I agree with the Best Player Available theory(Orakpo over Oher) I think we should take Okung and get arguably the BPA but also get it at a position of great need. Unless Suh is there, because that D-line would instantly dominate the NFC East. A thing of Legends, I tell you.

Forget it. They will not draft Suh. If he is there, he is one of those players that someone else will pay heavily to get... and would be willing to trade up for.

If Suh somehow manages to fall to 4, they will attempt to trade the pick. Preferably to someone in the AFC.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:29 pm

Well the poll is a poll - I'm glad to see that I picked the right guy :)

if we have to pick at #4 I hope we get an offensive lineman that can be really great for 10 plus years - admittedly the same thinking would apply to any player that we get - if these guys miss on this pick it would be a terrible blow

we are almost sure to be a little better as a franchise given some better coaching, game planning and stricter discipline (all of which will easily be better than what we saw here recently) and actually are already better than a lot of teams picking behind us so we should not miss on this pick this year because I don't think we'll pick this high again for a while :D

the best thing would be if we could somehow get a later first and a second or third - as Bruce said the best formula to make this franchise stronger is by addition NOT subtraction
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

-----------

Postby Smithian » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:00 pm

Guys, here is another thing about CJ Spiller that you all need to remember. Running backs are by far the most sure fire pick in the NFL. No other position, especially QB and O-Line, are such sure fire bets. CJ Spiller gives us an instant home run hitter who is perfect for Shanny's offense. Okung is not a Jake Long style sure fire thing at LT.

Jarmon is a good player, but God we could use that third rounder this year.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:05 pm

Smithian wrote:...Jarmon is a good player, but God we could use that third rounder this year.

it's not there, and you cannot look back - plus Jarmon is worth more than a 3rd round pick so we have a better player than we could have got - these guys are saying that they are taking the best player available - Jarmon is already here and he's going to help this franchise
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:02 am

Smithian wrote:Guys, here is another thing about CJ Spiller that you all need to remember. Running backs are by far the most sure fire pick in the NFL. No other position, especially QB and O-Line, are such sure fire bets. CJ Spiller gives us an instant home run hitter who is perfect for Shanny's offense. Okung is not a Jake Long style sure fire thing at LT.

Jarmon is a good player, but God we could use that third rounder this year.

There is no such thing as a "sure fire" pick, especially in football. 1/2 of the first round picks are usually out of the league after 4 years. No position is any different than the others. There have been MAJOR first round busts at every position.

Hog

Postby jeremyroyce » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:36 am

I happened to find this. Todd McShay has us picking in the 11th spot and taking Ciron Black, OT, LSU.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/ ... %3d4110478

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:43 am

No to Bradford.
I wont be dissapointed if we draft either Berry, Clausen or Suh. Other then that no other player I see worthy taking with a number four pick.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010