4th pick in 2010

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.

Who should the Redskins pick 4th in the draft?

Sam Bradford
6%
Eric Berry
4%
C.J. Spiller
9%
Russell Okung
81%

Total votes : 47
FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:45 am

PAPDOG67 wrote:
Smithian wrote:Guys, here is another thing about CJ Spiller that you all need to remember. Running backs are by far the most sure fire pick in the NFL. No other position, especially QB and O-Line, are such sure fire bets. CJ Spiller gives us an instant home run hitter who is perfect for Shanny's offense. Okung is not a Jake Long style sure fire thing at LT.

Jarmon is a good player, but God we could use that third rounder this year.

There is no such thing as a "sure fire" pick, especially in football. 1/2 of the first round picks are usually out of the league after 4 years. No position is any different than the others. There have been MAJOR first round busts at every position.

Kicker? Punter? Long-snapper? ;)

You are right though, and I agree that Jarmon ended up paying off. We will miss that third-round pick this year, but in the long run Jarmon will more than make up for it IMO. 2nd-round talent (and who looks like he'll work out) for a 3rd-round pick; not a bad deal.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:04 am

I think we should give our #4 pick away and try to lose all our games next year so we get a good draft pick next year.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:31 am

Unfortunately Kazoo I believe Snyder would be happy with this approach, he can make a big splash in the months between February -- August while everyone else cares about Sept - Jan!

Seriously, Jarmon was worth the pick. He'll be a solid player on the strong-side while Orakpo takes the weak-side for the next 8-10 years. I like our d-line. Mixture of young and old, lots of guys who can play more than one position. Certainly no need to worry about the dline for the next few years.

Our Dline...

Haynesworth (needs to get in better shape. Heard he hired a trainer.)
Griffin (solid part-timer in 2010)
Montgomery (hopefully, Big Al's intensity can rub off on him)
Golstin (tough vs the run..can he get even bigger and plug all runs?)
Alexander (all over the place, good sub)
Orakpo (sacks!)
Jarmon (get a little bigger and learn from Daniels)
Daniels (strong as an ox. part-timer in 2010)
Carter (ever see anyone that big and that ripped? Wow, what an athlete!)
Jackson & Wilson (good pass rushing subs)
Wynn is gone.

I like the line a lot.

I really really want our next defensive coordinator to help the dline out with more timed blitzes by lb's & Landry. Blatche was way too conservative for me. His tendency was to play prevent. I couldn't believe he had our 2 safeties 20 yards off the LOS in the last game when we were down in the first half and our record was 4-11 and no where to go. That was the perfect place to take a chance Blatche! Go for a turnover.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:40 am

fredp45 wrote:Unfortunately Kazoo I believe Snyder would be happy with this approach, he can make a big splash in the months between February -- August while everyone else cares about Sept - Jan!

Seriously, Jarmon was worth the pick. He'll be a solid player on the strong-side while Orakpo takes the weak-side for the next 8-10 years. I like our d-line. Mixture of young and old, lots of guys who can play more than one position. Certainly no need to worry about the dline for the next few years.

Our Dline...

Haynesworth (needs to get in better shape. Heard he hired a trainer.)
Griffin (solid part-timer in 2010)
Montgomery (hopefully, Big Al's intensity can rub off on him)
Golstin (tough vs the run..can he get even bigger and plug all runs?)
Alexander (all over the place, good sub)
Orakpo (sacks!)
Jarmon (get a little bigger and learn from Daniels)
Daniels (strong as an ox. part-timer in 2010)
Carter (ever see anyone that big and that ripped? Wow, what an athlete!)
Jackson & Wilson (good pass rushing subs)
Wynn is gone.

I like the line a lot.

I really really want our next defensive coordinator to help the dline out with more timed blitzes by lb's & Landry. Blatche was way too conservative for me. His tendency was to play prevent. I couldn't believe he had our 2 safeties 20 yards off the LOS in the last game when we were down in the first half and our record was 4-11 and no where to go. That was the perfect place to take a chance Blatche! Go for a turnover.

Our DT's are non existant outside of Haynesworth. We need another DT to keep things moving when Al isnt in/hurt and to really become a pass rush threat.

We NEED another DT!!!

Griff - too old, we waited too long to give him help.
Mont - wishing Al will rub off on him will lead you to dissapointment.
Golston - a solid backup/rotation guy

If we aren't able to grab a solid young DT from somewhere, we gotta hope a new DL coach will make a world of difference.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:17 am

I think the DT's will be directly affected by the scheme. Something that our DE's did a lot of were stunts so the DT's are there to clog up space.

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:29 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:We need another DT to keep things moving when Al isnt in/hurt and to really become a pass rush threat.

I agree with you, but DT is far down the list on team needs. We can certainly "get by" with a d-line of Orakpo, Haynesworth, Golston, and Carter. There is a lot of talent on the d-line.

That's certainly not the case with many other positions.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:05 pm

PulpExposure wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:We need another DT to keep things moving when Al isnt in/hurt and to really become a pass rush threat.

I agree with you, but DT is far down the list on team needs. We can certainly "get by" with a d-line of Orakpo, Haynesworth, Golston, and Carter. There is a lot of talent on the d-line.

Yes. Haynesworth for example was clearly the solution we expected. He was a force in the part season he played. Exactly the analysis when we signed him. And yet we went from 8 wins to 4. Making our D line even BETTER isn't going to get us from 4 to the playoffs when the rest of the team has so many more weaknesses.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:41 pm

PulpExposure wrote:

I don't disagree, those were just my thoughts on the position.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:12 pm

[quote="Smithian"]Guys, here is another thing about CJ Spiller that you all need to remember. Running backs are by far the most sure fire pick in the NFL.[/quote[

:shock: where in the world did you get that idea!

They are one of the riskiest and LT are one of the safest. Usually if an elite LT choice doesn't work on the left you at least have a good RT ot OG.

RB bomb all the time and have a shelf life half of a LT!

Ever heard of Reggi Bush, Curtis Ennis, Lawrence Phillips, Ricky Williams, Ki-Jana Carter, Ron Dayne, Vaungh Dunbar, Darren McFadden, Marshawn Lynch, Laurence Maroney, Cedric Benson and this list goes on.

Now before you say Bush, Benson, Williams, and Maroney aren't busts I want to ask you this, "How much did they help the team that drafted them?"

They aren't as risky as QBs but your RISK/REWARD is much greater with QBs and people reach for them. WR are very risky and should NEVER be considered unless you are drafting near the end of the first round. If you hit it big time with a WR in the first round, the reward isn't as big as hitting it big at almost ANY position. If I was a GM I would take ALL WR off mt first round board, same for RB.

People are "reaching" for RBs less often than other positions so the number of RB drafted in the first round are dropping and of course the number of first round bust at RB are dropping too.

You have to have a solid OL for them to make a difference and a great OL for them to make a huge difference and of course if you have a great OL you could always slap Timmy Smith in there and he would rack up a SB record that still stands after 22 years.

If you are drafting in the top five and the best LT is still on the board and he is rated the fifth best player or better, he is almost certainly your safest pick!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:22 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
Smithian wrote:Guys, here is another thing about CJ Spiller that you all need to remember. Running backs are by far the most sure fire pick in the NFL.[/quote[

:shock: where in the world did you get that idea!

They are one of the riskiest and LT are one of the safest. Usually if an elite LT choice doesn't work on the left you at least have a good RT ot OG.

RB bomb all the time and have a shelf life half of a LT!

Ever heard of Reggi Bush, Curtis Ennis, Lawrence Phillips, Ricky Williams, Ki-Jana Carter, Ron Dayne, Vaungh Dunbar, Darren McFadden, Marshawn Lynch, Laurence Maroney, Cedric Benson and this list goes on.

Now before you say Bush, Benson, Williams, and Maroney aren't busts I want to ask you this, "How much did they help the team that drafted them?"

They aren't as risky as QBs but your RISK/REWARD is much greater with QBs and people reach for them. WR are very risky and should NEVER be considered unless you are drafting near the end of the first round. If you hit it big time with a WR in the first round, the reward isn't as big as hitting it big at almost ANY position. If I was a GM I would take ALL WR off mt first round board, same for RB.

People are "reaching" for RBs less often than other positions so the number of RB drafted in the first round are dropping and of course the number of first round bust at RB are dropping too.

You have to have a solid OL for them to make a difference and a great OL for them to make a huge difference and of course if you have a great OL you could always slap Timmy Smith in there and he would rack up a SB record that still stands after 22 years.

If you are drafting in the top five and the best LT is still on the board and he is rated the fifth best player or better, he is almost certainly your safest pick!

I completely agree with your point, but Maroney and Bush are still with the teams that drafted them. Although neither one of them has performed to the level of their draft stock per se.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:58 am

We don't need a big time RB, we have guys who are serviceable for the time being. Isn't Shanny the guy that makes no-name backs look like stars?

We can wait on RB.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:03 am

He's also got guys who are currently on this roster that he likes like Aldridge and I'll tell you. I'm really hoping we take a close look at P.J. Hill. The guy was a bruiser out of Wisconsin. Not blazing speed but that would be where A.A. would come into play.

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:56 am

What a great problem to have! We're going to get a stud unless we trade out.

Trump Card:
When I close my eyes all I see is our Oline being abused, until that is fixed we really can't justify drafting any other position.
HAIL

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:07 am

Well, we have to trust his assessment of we currently have. He may look at some guys and believe they'll do better under his scheme... You never know, let's not freak out just yet.

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:21 am

Wait I just watched this and changed my mind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wf0kC-w9lU

I don't understand how any Professional football organization that intends to WIN would not pick this guy period
HAIL

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010