4th pick in 2010

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.

Who should the Redskins pick 4th in the draft?

Sam Bradford
6%
Eric Berry
4%
C.J. Spiller
9%
Russell Okung
81%

Total votes : 47
JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:39 am

He looks to be a great RB, fast, good vision, makes graet cuts, and has good hands as a receiver. It would be great if we had the luxury of being able to take a RB with our first pick, but we don't.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:42 am

In a few years maybe.

Hog

Postby SKINFAN » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:49 pm

Spiller is a impact player. He can play at WR, KR, and RB. Say what you will, but that kid found holes in the line when there were none and turned the corner on busted run plays. He's like CP26 circa 2005, but faster. Having said that, we cannot afford to draft a RB that high.

PS. They have (Clemson) a FB/TE that's seller's size. Rendrick Taylor, he was a WR, ended up as a FB. So your looking at a big body 6'3" 260 plus with speed, and can catch. He was hurt so he didn't play much, he'd be a great 2nd or 3rd day Gem @ the draft.
#21 (36) This IS and will always be the High watermark where all new DB's are measured.

Proverbs 27:17

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:53 pm

We can get the same bang for less bucks. Sure, it's a great piece of tape, but he's not the piece that we need. I'd say that RB isn't even in the top six of our needs, although that would change if Betts and Portis aren't on the active roster next opening day. But even if that happens, we can get a sound running back for a lower price than the number 4 pick in the draft.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:00 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:We can get the same bang for less bucks. Sure, it's a great piece of tape, but he's not the piece that we need. I'd say that RB isn't even in the top six of our needs, although that would change if Betts and Portis aren't on the active roster next opening day. But even if that happens, we can get a sound running back for a lower price than the number 4 pick in the draft.

Betts ACL/MCL pretty much says he won't be ready for day 1.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:42 pm

Question: If Quinton Ganther had CJ Spiller speed how many TD's would he have had!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They say we have to go Oline with our first pick unless...

Unless we believe there is a franchise QB.

But what about a Franchise RB ala Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson

Today's NFL secondaries don't like chasing fast RB's, they have to chase fast WR's everyday and these burner RB's bring power so they're not an easy tackle.

Anthony Alridge Marcus Mason Ladell Betts Clinton Portis = no franchise RB

Portis + Spiller = dangerous

Its apparent we are going to live and die by running the football, and the team I like to think about running against is Dallas; Big strong DE's and quick DT's, smart LB's and physical secondary...hard to run on, unless they're tired and you are full speed in the 4th. Spiller gives us a game breaking threat, plus he's a return man.

We would instantly have good young potential at our skill positions,
WR TE and RB lacking only a better Oline and QB for a great offense. 2 or 3 strong free agents could make our line at least presentable
HAIL

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:11 pm

that's the sort of pick that Cerrato or Snyder could have made but nobody in their right mind is taking a RB with a top 5 pick this year

Adrian Peterson is about as good as you can get and if he or Johnson was avaialble this year I can guarantee Shanahan and Allen would not take him - he's good and he's the best in a while but he's had a problem holding onto the ball :D

Nobody who knows anything about the game is taking a Johnson or a Peterson or a CJ Spiller with the 4th pick in this draft - nobody

next question :lol:
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:05 pm

Gibbs4Life wrote: Portis + Spiller = dangerous

Here is how football math 101 works:

No OL = NO Running game

It doesn't matter who the RB is the math is the same.

Drafting a RB with this OL does very little to help us. Combine our poor OL play with poor QB play (dependent on the OL, but to a much less degree) and here is some more NFL math for you:

Draft RB high w/no OL = wasted pick

RB have a 5 year self life. How long is it going to take us to fix or OL and QB.

Here is some more NFL math:
Stud OL + average RB = Stud running game

If you have a great OL just plug Timmy Smith or Olandis Garry in there and you have a great run game.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:33 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:

No OL = NO Running game

Drafting a RB with this OL does very little to help us. Combine our poor OL play with poor QB play (dependent on the OL, but to a much less degree) and here is some more NFL math for you:

RB have a 5 year self life. How long is it going to take us to fix or OL and QB.

If you have a great OL just plug Timmy Smith or Olandis Garry in there and you have a great run game.

I agree with what you're saying on having an OL, but I don't agree what we do with the #1 pick = what we do with the OL. Drafting for need is a path to mediocrity. We need to look at all our needs and all our options together. It's not like drafting an OL puts us on the path to the Big Game next year.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby Jeremy81 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:12 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:

No OL = NO Running game

I agree with what you're saying on having an OL, but I don't agree what we do with the #1 pick = what we do with the OL. Drafting for need is a path to mediocrity. We need to look at all our needs and all our options together. It's not like drafting an OL puts us on the path to the Big Game next year.

No, but its a pretty darn good start.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:39 pm

I voted for Okung and then watched some footage of CJ.. that boy got some serious jets!!!
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:55 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:Here is how football math 101 works:

No OL = NO Running game

How do you explain Barry Sanders, then?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:59 pm

Deadskins wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:Here is how football math 101 works:

No OL = NO Running game

How do you explain Barry Sanders, then?

Come on DS.. Barry is like the exception to all things RB related .. :lol: That's not even fair to mention the great one
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:49 pm

Jeremy81 wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:I agree with what you're saying on having an OL, but I don't agree what we do with the #1 pick = what we do with the OL. Drafting for need is a path to mediocrity. We need to look at all our needs and all our options together. It's not like drafting an OL puts us on the path to the Big Game next year.

No, but its a pretty darn good start.

Clearly we agree we need to put a lot more attention to OL then we have been. From Shanahan's background I am guessing that's a given. All I'm saying with the #4 is I wouldn't take a mediocre OL with that specific pick and bypass a far more talented player. Though it would hurt me if it were a D player, we just so badly need O help.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:52 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote: .... We need to look at all our needs and all our options together. It's not like drafting an OL puts us on the path to the Big Game next year.

we are a 4-12 franchise and most here are thinking realistically about building this franchise as quickly as possible and seeing a consistently competitive product on the field - hopefully these guys come up with a plan for this year that means that next year we can see significant progress
I do not think that anybody can realistically go from where we are to being in a Super Bowl in 2 seasons but I think we can be consistently competitive in 2012 and who knows ....

one thing for sure is that to have a decent chance for success in the NFC East you must have very good offensive and defensive lines AND decent depth along both lines - the defensive side needs some work here but the offensive line is almost non existent and therefore is the priority

now, if we cannot address our offensive line through the draft (because the prospects are not there) then we need to find another way to do that - nothing takes longer to get the cohesiveness you need than the offensive line and we need to get that started ASAP

btw - I am glad to see that we've already added someone for the line - anyone is going to help upgrade our line
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010