4th pick in 2010

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.

Who should the Redskins pick 4th in the draft?

Sam Bradford
6%
Eric Berry
4%
C.J. Spiller
9%
Russell Okung
81%

Total votes : 47
G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:44 pm

Colt McCoy might not be a bad grab

IMO we have a better Colt at QB already on the roster
HAIL

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:57 pm

VetSkinsFan wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:I'm really interested in the O-lineman that Shannahan has drafted in the past and what round they were selected. I'm thinking that he takes smaller, more versitile players who would naturally go later in the draft. If that is the case, pick a corner. Please do not draft a RB in the first round. What a waste. They're a dime a dozen and good thing Shannahan knows that.

Those small lineman would be at a disadvantage in the NFC East.

5 men working as one can't be beat.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:04 pm

there is ZERO % chance that Shannahan drafts a RB in the first round, and I'm glad. You don't draft RB's in the first...period. They're a dime a dozen.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:15 pm

chiefhog44 wrote:there is ZERO % chance that Shannahan drafts a RB in the first round, and I'm glad. You don't draft RB's in the first...period. They're a dime a dozen.
Absolutely agree.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

piglet

Postby Pablo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:30 pm

I agreed!!! but can you image us getting a LT in free agency...then what ? who do we draft?

Hog

Postby Jeremy81 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:14 pm

Pablo wrote:I agreed!!! but can you image us getting a LT in free agency...then what ? who do we draft?

a RT

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:27 am

chiefhog44 wrote:
VetSkinsFan wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:I'm really interested in the O-lineman that Shannahan has drafted in the past and what round they were selected. I'm thinking that he takes smaller, more versitile players who would naturally go later in the draft. If that is the case, pick a corner. Please do not draft a RB in the first round. What a waste. They're a dime a dozen and good thing Shannahan knows that.

Those small lineman would be at a disadvantage in the NFC East.

5 men working as one can't be beat.

5 undersized lineman will likely get swallowed up in the NFC East. We play predominantly smashmouth football with large, aggressive defenses. They need the girth as well as the speed to be effective here.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:13 am

Gibbs4Life wrote:
Colt McCoy might not be a bad grab

IMO we have a better Colt at QB already on the roster

It depends on the offense. Kyle Shanahan likes to get the ball down the field. That, however, is not Colt McCoy's strength.
Suck and Luck

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:40 am

frankcal20 wrote:I too like JC and think that after this season, he should get another one.

Okung will be a LT not RT. He's projected to be a major impact right away. Instant starter in a major area of need. Make the pick.

Okung should clearly be picked first. The second pick should also be for the OL. There are, according to me, at least six tackles, two guards, and two centers in the draft who can be considered potentially elite. So, we are very likely to be able to grab one of them in the second round, as well as the first. I hope we do. Only three OL to go. If Jones works out (and he might), we'll have only two to go in a year in which a couple of quality FA's may blow our way. Here's hoping. The OL can be rebuilt in a single year.

Unfortunately, almost none of the above will happen. The Skins will go for Bradford, pick up a potentially elite tackle in the second round, hope Samuels comes back, and then try for cheap fixes with FA's of moderate skill and late round OL projects. Watch and learn. Danny is still in charge. There'll probably be no upgrading of personnel at left guard and center, which will be a huge mistake, and we'll only improve at right tackle, which will make us a bad team for the second year in a row.

When the Skins go for Bradford, which they will, I hope (against my expectation) they'll have a deal in the works that gives us draft picks for Portis (3rd round) and Campbell (2nd round). That could save the day somewhat because quality picks on the OL could extend throughout the second round, giving us two second round quality picks, and we could get lucky, most likely by picking up a quality center (which will almost certainly be available) and one of the quality tackles, of which there are five beyond Okung. Then, in the third round, we could pick an OL project that would have a shot at working out.

Here's betting no OL drafted later than the third round this year makes a splash in the NFL. Could happen, but scouting reports on that subject aren't hopeful.

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:40 am

Dockery wasn't that bad, man. He may not be the second coming of the Hogs, but we played a few guys worse than he did last year. Additionally, he's durable. We can't really say that about too many lineman last year, could we?

Half of our problem last year (okay less than half, but still definitely worth mentioning) is that we couldn't field the same 5 guys for more than a week at a time. I think we had something like 11 different configurations at starting offensive lineman last year (I hope I remember that quote accurately). There's NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH you can expect your lineman to gel and perform as a singly unit. If you do, then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I would take 5 average lineman that will play together all 16 games over elite lineman who won't play more than 2 games in one configuration all year...

My 2 cents
...any given Sunday....

GSPODS:

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:40 am

Okung should clearly be picked first.

That's not "clear" at all. None of it will be "clear" until the players all go through the various workouts (i.e. the Combine, individual workouts, etc.).

Unfortunately, almost none of the above will happen. The Skins will go for Bradford, pick up a potentially elite tackle in the second round, hope Samuels comes back, and then try for cheap fixes with FA's of moderate skill and late round OL projects.

Shanahan has a long history of drafting offensive linemen late or signing undrafted free agents. I'm not at all worried about his ability to rebuild the oline. It certainly wont only take one season, though, as you mentioned.

There'll probably be no upgrading of personnel at left guard and center, which will be a huge mistake, and we'll only improve at right tackle, which will make us a bad team for the second year in a row.

Dockery is the least of our problems. He played well last year. Agree about Rabach.

We are going to be a bad team next year no matter what. We have a lot of holes that go far beyond the offensive line and this is going to be a 2-3 year rebuilding process. Expecting anything less is unrealistic.

When the Skins go for Bradford, which they will, I hope (against my expectation) they'll have a deal in the works that gives us draft picks for Portis (3rd round) and Campbell (2nd round).

We aren't getting a 3rd for CP or a 2nd for JC. The only GM in the NFL dumb enough to make those trades was Vinny.
Suck and Luck

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:26 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:That's not "clear" at all. None of it will be "clear" until the players all go through the various workouts (i.e. the Combine, individual workouts, etc.).

Why any GM would put any value what so ever into what a player does in shorts is beyond me. Adam Archuletta was a first round pick simply because of how he looked and the numbers he posted at the combine and not based on how he played college ball.

Scout college players and drsft college players based on how they project in the pros, not how they look in shorts or how fast that can run a 40 (Yes, I'm talking to you Al Davis and DHB) Who care what their broad jump is and how high they can jump w/o pads on.

You need to find out how good is the football player is, not the gym rat, or "athlete". CAN HE PLAY FOOTBALL at a very high level. THen draft him!

After the Senior Bowl and the other few College all star games GMs should know everything they need to know about what kind of football players are out there. They still might need to find out what kind of people they are, but if the combine alters your draft board very much, you are already on your way to unemployment.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:02 pm

First of all DO NOT draft anyone who has at any time shown character flaws - all of these guys are talented, some a little more than others, yes! but the athlete that is driven to be better and wants to learn is a much better choice than the athlete that shows he can play the game at an extremely high level - they can all play, some just don't make the transition very well and that is why so many really good prospects from the big time colleges have a problem - they just have a difficult time in a lot of cases understanding that they are not good enough and accepting that the coach knows better - they get to the NFL and think it's over, I've made it - show me the money

guys like Chad Rhinehart are not the sort of players we need around here and I would be surprised if he is still is a part of the mix here for very long - if you don't think it's important to not behave like that, then you probably are not motivated to be the best you can be

secondly we are not going to see a decent offensive line for another year or 2 and I doubt Dockery, who is possibly the best of the bunch will be here when we do have a decent line - he's good but he's certainly not shown that he's a really good LG

we are going to be looking at a couple of years and then we'll need to have those guys getting used to playing together before we can really compete in the NFC East

PATIENCE people - nobody should be expecting miracles here, this season or next - let the FO select the guys carefully and hopefully they will become a great offensive line
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:59 pm

It's hard to judge 1 guy in the mess we called an offensive line last year. Dock earned that fat paycheck he got when he went to Buffalo and then didn't do good there for whatever reason, but he performed well here and that's why he got paid. He can be solid for the next couple of years and I don't think we need to worry about him for a few more years.
...any given Sunday....

GSPODS:

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:21 am

chiefhog44 wrote:there is ZERO % chance that Shannahan drafts a RB in the first round, and I'm glad. You don't draft RB's in the first...period. They're a dime a dozen.

And particularly being Shannahan who has had such success drafting RB's in later rounds taking over a team with so many holes on O.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010