Mel Kiper's First Mock Draft

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Canes Skin

Mel Kiper's First Mock Draft

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:11 pm

Sam Bradford*, QB, Oklahoma
Mike Shanahan and the Redskins can get a quarterback here who might have been the top player taken had he opted to come out last year. The Redskins need to find their franchise quarterback, and when healthy, Bradford is an exceptionally accurate passer with an underrated arm. Shanahan also hit on his last QB selection when he drafted Jay Cutler in Denver.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=4841432
Suck and Luck

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:52 pm

While I actually think Bradford is a good pick at 4...and I think he has a ton of potential to be a great NFL QB (he's smart and he's accurate, and has a good enough arm).

I wouldn't hate the pick, and I'd even understand it. I just think he may die behind our miserable o-line.

B-rad

Re: Mel Kiper's First Mock Draft

Postby brad7686 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:20 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
Mike Shanahan and the Redskins can get a quarterback here who might have been the top player taken had he opted to come out last year. The Redskins need to find their franchise quarterback, and when healthy, Bradford is an exceptionally accurate passer with an underrated arm. Shanahan also hit on his last QB selection when he drafted Jay Cutler in Denver.

I wouldn't call the Cutler pick a victory just yet.

Bradford isn't the pick. There will be better, non-fragile qb's next year. Take Okung.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:13 pm

brad7686 wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:

Bradford isn't the pick. There will be better, non-fragile qb's next year. Take Okung.

Not saying we should or shouldn't draft Bradford, but he certainly isn't fragile. He had one injury (sprained AC joint) during his time at Oklahoma. Brees had a much more serious shoulder injury. Is he fragile? Rivers tore his ACL. Is he fragile? This is football, injuries are going to happen. It's not like Bradford got lightly touched and got hurt. He had his shoulder drive into the ground on a turf field.
Suck and Luck

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:06 pm

brad7686 wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:

2 first rounds for him is a victory, though ;)

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:38 pm

PulpExposure wrote:
brad7686 wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:

2 first rounds for him is a victory, though ;)

definitely :D
No Pressure, No Diamonds

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:11 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
brad7686 wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:

Not saying we should or shouldn't draft Bradford, but he certainly isn't fragile. He had one injury (sprained AC joint) during his time at Oklahoma. Brees had a much more serious shoulder injury. Is he fragile? Rivers tore his ACL. Is he fragile? This is football, injuries are going to happen. It's not like Bradford got lightly touched and got hurt. He had his shoulder drive into the ground on a turf field.

Possibly, but I'm not sure how smart it is to put an average sized, average mobility, rookie qb behind one of the worst O-lines in the history of football when he is coming off a pretty bad shoulder injury.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:57 pm

Wait now that Shanahan is the leader of the Redskins, who will he jerk out of draft picks now??? smh
SPIT HAPPENS!!

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:35 am

brad7686 wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:
brad7686 wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:

Possibly, but I'm not sure how smart it is to put an average sized, average mobility, rookie qb behind one of the worst O-lines in the history of football when he is coming off a pretty bad shoulder injury.

Who says he's going to start week 1?
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:21 am

PulpExposure wrote:I just think he may die behind our miserable o-line.

When the pick description uses the words "when healthy" it's particularly scary
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:12 am

The Hogster wrote:Wait now that Shanahan is the leader of the Redskins, who will he jerk out of draft picks now??? smh

hahaha.. that's pretty good
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:31 am

brad7686 wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:
brad7686 wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:

You're assuming that (1) Bradford would start week 1 and that (2) we wouldn't be able to improve our line if we didn't draft Okung in the first. I don't think that either one of those assumptions is accurate.
Suck and Luck

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:49 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
brad7686 wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:
brad7686 wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:

You're assuming that (1) Bradford would start week 1 and that (2) we wouldn't be able to improve our line if we didn't draft Okung in the first. I don't think that either one of those assumptions is accurate.

I agree. I think we will fiercely go after FA OL this year and that starts with attempting to sign our own, Levi Jones. I could see him at RT until we get a replacement. We can't draft all new starter at OL.

Idealy I would love to get a LT, Rt and RG in free agency but that is just wishful thinking. If we sign Jones and a FA OG that would give us the option of the best QB or LT at #4. I personally think you take the LT at #4 and the QB at #37.

There are TOO MANY questions with the QBs in this draft to take one that high, but come hell or high water I think you need to draft one day 1 of the draft.

I would love to trade down from #4, but no one wants to move up into the top 5 anymore. And if they are really that hot for a certain player then maybe we should consider the guy. There are only two spot (other then ST) that you have to rule out for #4 and that is RB and WR.

RB and WR should be treated like sluts. They are good for getting you all turned on, but in the long run you're left with someone you really don't want a round for the long haul and you could have picked up for $50 at any street corner or a dinner at TGI Fridays
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:59 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
brad7686 wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:
brad7686 wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:

Well, If we don't get McNeill, I don't see how the pass protection is going to improve that much without taking an OT first round. I'm not saying Bradford will get injured, but the Skins have enough people with injury problems as it is. They almost need to make immaculate health a prerequisite. I don't think they should take a qb, but I would definitely take Claussen first.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:21 pm

I would expect us to draft Bradford if the guys in charge here think he can be a really good QB - I do not think we are going to get a better chance or have a top 10 pick again for many years

I do not think that Bradford is at all injury prone and I'm sure they will not use him until they have prepared him mentally and physically to play - this is a huge decision, if it is made - they understand they cannot miss on taking a QB at #4

I don't see a Samuels type of offensive lineman available and that is the only thing we need right now - we need to rebuild our offensive line and that will take a lot longer than many here are going to like but that is the most difficult group to have playing really well together

so ....... IF we cannot find a guy that can be a part of a really good offensive line for 10-12 years AND we have a shot at a really good QB for our future we have to take him

I'll put it another way - I'm not worried about Bradford physically, I just think we need a really good O line and that is going to take a while BUT at some time we are also going to want to have a really good QB and this guy might be that in a few years - Bradford has all the attributes and I have a feeling that Shanahan will make him into a really good QB that Kyle will utilize as he did with Staub this past year
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010