Mike Iupati G Idaho

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
piggie

Postby FireVinny » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:24 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:
FireVinny wrote:Mike Johnson is a better fit for a zone blocking scheme, and I've seen him going in the 4th. If we could really get Johnson that late, we should go for Dwyer or Cody or Houston in the 2nd.

I dont see Mike Johnson getting past the third round. However, if he does fall to the fourth round that would be great if we pick him up.

I'm with you... I don't see it happening. If we traded our 2nd for Cinci's 2 and 3 he would be worth targetting at the 54th pick. He's a perfect fit for a Shanahan offense (obviously I'm partial, but I'm not the only one saying it).
Since Chris Samuels, on the first day of the draft:
O-Line: 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
D-Line: 0
WR: 4

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:13 pm

FireVinny wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:
FireVinny wrote:Mike Johnson is a better fit for a zone blocking scheme, and I've seen him going in the 4th. If we could really get Johnson that late, we should go for Dwyer or Cody or Houston in the 2nd.

I dont see Mike Johnson getting past the third round. However, if he does fall to the fourth round that would be great if we pick him up.

I'm with you... I don't see it happening. If we traded our 2nd for Cinci's 2 and 3 he would be worth targetting at the 54th pick. He's a perfect fit for a Shanahan offense (obviously I'm partial, but I'm not the only one saying it).

If I were to compare Iupati and Johnson. I would say Johnson has more big game experience and that should help him in the NFL. How much upside does Johnson have vs how much upside Iupati has? That is yet to be seen. Either way we cant go wrong with Iupati or Johnson on this team this year.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

piggie

Postby FireVinny » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:52 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:
FireVinny wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:

If I were to compare Iupati and Johnson. I would say Johnson has more big game experience and that should help him in the NFL. How much upside does Johnson have vs how much upside Iupati has? That is yet to be seen. Either way we cant go wrong with Iupati or Johnson on this team this year.

In terms of raw upside, I think it's clear that Iupati has the advantage... during practice week before the senior bowl, he was blowing people away with his measurables... I think his arm length was especially impressive.

That said, we're switching to a zone blocking scheme, and it's widely understood that you have different personnel priorities... the huge powerful blockers aren't a big advantage, but the quick technically sound guys are. And from what I've seen and what I've read elsewhere, Johnson is a perfect fit for a zone blocking scheme... definitely better than Iupati... Johnson is smart, quick and has great technique, Iupati is big and strong but slow and unpolished. Iupati will go before Johnson because most teams are looking for power blocking in a guard. So in terms of "upside" Johnson is definitely better for the Redskins or Packers, but for everyone else I'm sure Iupati has the edge.
Since Chris Samuels, on the first day of the draft:
O-Line: 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
D-Line: 0
WR: 4

Postby jmoss10686 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:35 pm

FireVinny wrote:
In terms of raw upside, I think it's clear that Iupati has the advantage... during practice week before the senior bowl, he was blowing people away with his measurables... I think his arm length was especially impressive.

That said, we're switching to a zone blocking scheme, and it's widely understood that you have different personnel priorities... the huge powerful blockers aren't a big advantage, but the quick technically sound guys are. And from what I've seen and what I've read elsewhere, Johnson is a perfect fit for a zone blocking scheme... definitely better than Iupati... Johnson is smart, quick and has great technique, Iupati is big and strong but slow and unpolished. Iupati will go before Johnson because most teams are looking for power blocking in a guard. So in terms of "upside" Johnson is definitely better for the Redskins or Packers, but for everyone else I'm sure Iupati has the edge.

Good post

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010